Kizashi information

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
huzaifa

I recently got Suzuki kizashi i am living in Pakistan i have few questions ❓
Its Suzuki kazashi 2.4 Fwd
1.what is the fuel average you kizashi is giving
Mine is 8,8.5 in city 9,10 on highway is it ok
2.whats the mobile oil grade to use and which company mobile1,liqui-moli, suzuki.
KuroNekko

Welcome.
Different models of the Kizashi have slightly different fuel economy averages but mine: (FWD manual transmission) gets about 20 city and 27 highway miles per gallon on average. For liter/100km it is: 11.7 city and 8.7 highway.

As for motor oil, Suzuki specifies 5W-30. I use synthetic motor oil. I'm not sure what you can get in Pakistan but Mobil-1 is a great motor oil.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
BatNasko

My Kizashi is European from Italy, but the Suzuki manual recommends 0w20 for the same engine, and in the US 5w30. It is most likely due to different standard. 0w20 cites it as the greatest fuel economy. According to the country and climate where I am, I pour on my Kizashi Ravenol 5w30. I will try Pakelo 5w30 soon.

Изпратено от моят M2101K6G с помощта на Tapatalk

2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT FWD (Silver)
Obama_is_hot6

BatNasko wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:50 pm My Kizashi is European from Italy, but the Suzuki manual recommends 0w20 for the same engine, and in the US 5w30. It is most likely due to different standard. 0w20 cites it as the greatest fuel economy. According to the country and climate where I am, I pour on my Kizashi Ravenol 5w30. I will try Pakelo 5w30 soon.

out of the two you mentioned, which one is thicker? im not familiar with how that scales
YUUUURT
BatNasko

Obama_is_hot6 wrote:
BatNasko wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:50 pm My Kizashi is European from Italy, but the Suzuki manual recommends 0w20 for the same engine, and in the US 5w30. It is most likely due to different standard. 0w20 cites it as the greatest fuel economy. According to the country and climate where I am, I pour on my Kizashi Ravenol 5w30. I will try Pakelo 5w30 soon.

out of the two you mentioned, which one is thicker? im not familiar with how that scales
5w30

KuroNekko

Obama_is_hot6 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:22 pm

With oil, it's measured in viscosity, which is the measure of resistance to flow. Basically, higher viscosity means thicker fluid. Honey has much higher viscosity than water. With motor oil, the higher number means it's more viscous/thicker. 5W-30 is thicker than 0W-20.

Also, most modern motor and gear oils are multi-grade meaning they have a cold and warm rating. This is wear the "W" comes in which technically means "Winter" but represents cold flow properties. A 5W-30 has multigrade properties of flowing like a grade 5 oil when cold but when warmed up, will flow like a grade 30.

Most engines can take a range of motor oil viscosities based on the ambient temperature they are used in but tend to have one recommended grade. For the Kizashi, the recommended grade is 5W-30 and this should fit nearly all uses worldwide. However, in extreme temperatures, either cold or hot, you can use thinner or thicker oil. You want to use thinner oil for colder temps and thicker for hotter but we are really talking about extremes in temps. Lastly, as engines wear from age and mileage and their tolerances change, many start using High Mileage or thicker grade oil. High Mileage formulas have additives to help with minor leaks and resist burn-off.

The topic can get far more complex but that is the basics of motor oil. If you're ever in a situation where the engine is very low on oil and you can't get your hands on 5W-30, it's going to be totally fine to use 0W-20 or 10W-30 to get the oil to a recommended level. I've oddly encountered people with zero understanding of vehicle mechanics who didn't believe me and would rather run their engine with low levels of oil than to put in a different grade temporarily until service. :roll:
BatNasko

KuroNekko wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:48 pm
Obama_is_hot6 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:22 pm

With oil, it's measured in viscosity, which is the measure of resistance to flow. Basically, higher viscosity means thicker fluid. Honey has much higher viscosity than water. With motor oil, the higher number means it's more viscous/thicker. 5W-30 is thicker than 0W-20.

Also, most modern motor and gear oils are multi-grade meaning they have a cold and warm rating. This is wear the "W" comes in which technically means "Winter" but represents cold flow properties. A 5W-30 has multigrade properties of flowing like a grade 5 oil when cold but when warmed up, will flow like a grade 30.

Most engines can take a range of motor oil viscosities based on the ambient temperature they are used in but tend to have one recommended grade. For the Kizashi, the recommended grade is 5W-30 and this should fit nearly all uses worldwide. However, in extreme temperatures, either cold or hot, you can use thinner or thicker oil. You want to use thinner oil for colder temps and thicker for hotter but we are really talking about extremes in temps. Lastly, as engines wear from age and mileage and their tolerances change, many start using High Mileage or thicker grade oil. High Mileage formulas have additives to help with minor leaks and resist burn-off.

The topic can get far more complex but that is the basics of motor oil. If you're ever in a situation where the engine is very low on oil and you can't get your hands on 5W-30, it's going to be totally fine to use 0W-20 or 10W-30 to get the oil to a recommended level. I've oddly encountered people with zero understanding of vehicle mechanics who didn't believe me and would rather run their engine with low levels of oil than to put in a different grade temporarily until service. :roll:
This is my italian manual where recommended 0w20, but there is temperature diagram on the region.
Attachments
IMG_20240323_085727.jpg
IMG_20240323_085428.jpg
Obama_is_hot6

kewl thx for the info you guys :)
YUUUURT
KuroNekko

BatNasko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:10 am
This is my italian manual where recommended 0w20, but there is temperature diagram on the region.
What is interesting is that about two weeks ago, I was looking for this very oil chart in the US owner's manual and could not find it anywhere. I looked in the same section as your book but it only mentions that 5W-30 is the recommended oil. The owner's manual I have is not original to the car however and is for a 2013 Kizashi. Mine is a 2011 and when I bought it used, it didn't come with the manual. I bought the book and other Kizashi parts from KlutzNinja after his was totaled because he's not far from me.
However, I remember that my 1998 Suzuki Sidekick manual had an oil chart and all other vehicles I've owned did too in the manual. There is typically one recommended grade of oil but the chart shows the acceptable grades in a temperature range.

It's interesting that Euro/Italian-spec Kizashis call for 0W-20. Perhaps it's to slightly reduce fuel consumption while in the US, they figure Americans pay cheaper gas and put on more miles before replacing their cars thus the thicker grade was recommended.
KlutzNinja

Hi Kuro, I hope the stuff has come in handy :drive:.

For what it’s worth, the Kizashi isn’t alone in oil grades differing by region. My Mazda’s engine calls for 0W-20 here in the US, but 5W-30 in Europe, I believe. American owners put either of those in their Skyactiv engines, or occasionally 5W-20, depending on their area’s climate. I think I’ve read of some using 10w oils. Just what I’ve seen on BITOG and Mazda forums.
I’m sure there are other internationally sold cars with this oil grade variance, too. Maybe part of the difference is due to gasoline quality? I thought I read that on BITOG or something. Apparently American gasoline isn’t that great compared to European gasoline.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)