Neat Trick - CVT and Cruise Control

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
xwiredtva

I honestly didn't think this would work. New to CVT's as most of us are.

With the Cruise on and set you can downshift and it will NOT turn the cruise off. Ok, that might make sense to some of you but this is the 4th car I have owned out of 37 that was NOT a manual.

So next time your running the cruise control and heading up a hill don't think you have to lug the engine, downshift it and let it be happy.

Obviously this is running it in Manual mode. And on a side note this is how I drive it about 70% of the time. I get better MPG in manual mode - average 26-27 in mostly suburban city driving (35-45 zones) and on the hwy it's no different.

Neat trick, thought I'd share. Sorry if it's not new.
KCKizashi

85 views and not a single person responded. Let me be the first to say thank you for posting, and thank you for contributing to the forum, regardless if it's new information or not.

:)
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
Moto
Site Admin

good stuff
jimmerz

you guys must live in texas or kansas! I'm lucky to be getting 19-20mpg.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
CVT AWD
Black
I stole the avatar because I liked it!
metatrox

Another little tidbit!

Even when the car is in regular drive mode you can still tap the paddle to downshift if you want. If you don't heavy accelerate it will go back to drive mode after a couple seconds. Perhaps a means to do a quick pass on highway or something.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
TheHolyGhost

That's actually a nice feature. Another thoughtful move by Suzuki.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
jakespeeds

xwiredtva wrote:I honestly didn't think this would work. New to CVT's as most of us are.

With the Cruise on and set you can downshift and it will NOT turn the cruise off. Ok, that might make sense to some of you but this is the 4th car I have owned out of 37 that was NOT a manual.

So next time your running the cruise control and heading up a hill don't think you have to lug the engine, downshift it and let it be happy.

Obviously this is running it in Manual mode. And on a side note this is how I drive it about 70% of the time. I get better MPG in manual mode - average 26-27 in mostly suburban city driving (35-45 zones) and on the hwy it's no different.

Neat trick, thought I'd share. Sorry if it's not new.
I want to try this..after doing some mods and using my new cruise control..
mustang9701

i tried this. It does work but i made a few other discoveries also. if you are in drive and accelerating and it looses rpms at all this same method will work. It will downshift and once at a certain point it goes back to auto and continues. it can be dona at any time any speed with or with the cruise i have discovered.
anyone else try this?