CVT software controlling problem

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
syncmaster

Hi
In the last week something strange happened to my CVT transmission (4 times).
I always drive in manual mode and while accelerating from stop to around 60km/h I realized than on the control panel shows “D” instead of gear number, ,let say “4” and RPM went up like crazy. I moved the shifter to the right (automatic mode) and then back to manual and also up and down but nothing changed. For me it seemed that CVC changed to automatic mode and reduced gear to the first one and got stock there. I had to pull over and turn engine off. It is happening randomly and I wonder what will happen if I drive 110km/h and CVT will reduce itself to the first gear? Probably I’ll read this forum from the moon. Anyway. I went to the dealer and they didn’t find anything and the software was already updated. Did anybody had similar problem?
Thanks
Blackbelt

I am sorry to tell you this, but your CVT is toast. :(
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. The first few times it happened, shutting it down and restarting a little later cleared up the problem. Eventually, it threw a code and popped the light on. Dealer pulled the codes and checked with Suzuki and they told them to replace the CVT.
Insist that the dealer contact Suzuki with this issue. Your tranny is bad.
I am curious, what is the manufacture date of your Kizashi? It is on the label on the drivers side doorjamb.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
syncmaster

Thank for reply. I called the dealer and they are going to call Suzuki. My guess is they are not going to do anything before I have a light on . I’ll check manufacture date tomorrow and let you know. Model is 2011, that what I know for now. Do You know what code it was ?
Thanks
Blackbelt

Damn. Mine is a 2010. There goes my theory of a bad batch of CVT's
It threw multiple codes, 2 i know of were input and output sensor codes. If it does this to you like it did it to me, you may very well find yourself stranded. The TCM will not allow any throttle to preserve the CVT, so you will find yourself pushing the gas pedal and nothing happens. When that happened to me, i shut the car down for 10-15 mins and let things cool down, then it was OK to drive for a bit again.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
scorcher

Interesting reading. I usually drive around (2010 SLS FWD CVT) in normal drive. But after reading your concerns I started playing with the manual mode. Normal acceleration through the gears using the paddle shifers is fine; however at speeds of 50 to 60 mph in 5 or 6 when I hit the accelerater it feels like the engine is going to die out. Whereas in mormal drive there is plenty of pick up. I had to drop it down to 3 to get any kind of acceleration at all. I have driven manual transmission before as well as Nisssan Murano (CVT) and not seen this issue. Hope this is not the beginnning (9,000 miles) on the car.
syncmaster

Manufacture date of my Kizashi is 02/10
Blackbelt

syncmaster wrote:Manufacture date of my Kizashi is 02/10
So yours is actually a 2010. There was one other member here besides me who had a bad tranny, and his car was a 2/10 production also. MIne is a 1/10, but the difference could be one day.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
syncmaster

I hope they can do something about it before light will go on
syncmaster

I was told to drive on automatic mode for a week to see if the problem still exists. Since there is no light to indicate there is something wrong with transmission it can be just malfunctioning shifter.
Blackbelt

syncmaster wrote:I was told to drive on automatic mode for a week to see if the problem still exists. Since there is no light to indicate there is something wrong with transmission it can be just malfunctioning shifter.
Mine was in regular automatic mode when it started.
2010 Kizashi S AWD