CVT software controlling problem

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Minority

scorcher wrote:Interesting reading. I usually drive around (2010 SLS FWD CVT) in normal drive. But after reading your concerns I started playing with the manual mode. Normal acceleration through the gears using the paddle shifers is fine; however at speeds of 50 to 60 mph in 5 or 6 when I hit the accelerater it feels like the engine is going to die out. Whereas in mormal drive there is plenty of pick up. I had to drop it down to 3 to get any kind of acceleration at all. I have driven manual transmission before as well as Nisssan Murano (CVT) and not seen this issue. Hope this is not the beginnning (9,000 miles) on the car.
There is a big gap in manual mode between 4th and 5th and an even bigger gap between 5th and 6th, and 6th is very highly geared. In auto mode if you floor it at those speeds the CVT will automatically go to a much lower ratio, in manual mode it can't. I think you are just seeing a characteristic of high gearing and not much torque at lower revs (although 50-60mph isn't that slow!)
gaww

Minority wrote:
scorcher wrote:Interesting reading. I usually drive around (2010 SLS FWD CVT) in normal drive. But after reading your concerns I started playing with the manual mode. Normal acceleration through the gears using the paddle shifers is fine; however at speeds of 50 to 60 mph in 5 or 6 when I hit the accelerater it feels like the engine is going to die out. Whereas in mormal drive there is plenty of pick up. I had to drop it down to 3 to get any kind of acceleration at all. I have driven manual transmission before as well as Nisssan Murano (CVT) and not seen this issue. Hope this is not the beginnning (9,000 miles) on the car.
There is a big gap in manual mode between 4th and 5th and an even bigger gap between 5th and 6th, and 6th is very highly geared. In auto mode if you floor it at those speeds the CVT will automatically go to a much lower ratio, in manual mode it can't. I think you are just seeing a characteristic of high gearing and not much torque at lower revs (although 50-60mph isn't that slow!)
The above is totally correct, expect no response from 5 & 6 in manual mode. If you find yourself in it when using the paddles shifters, a quick snap back and forth of the shift lever immediately puts you back in full auto mode. This is especially helpful if you are a few gears higher then you would otherwise be in.

I don't recall the Moreno having so many manual gear modes. It also was quick off the line (NO LAG), which is one thing I miss at times. Their CVT was from the same manufacturer, but was a different (larger) unit.

It is odd that Nissan did not have many problems with the CVT's in the Morano (mine was working fine at 130,000 miles), but they had a lot of trouble with the smaller ones - like the one in the Kizashi. Wonder if this is why they might have set the Kizashi's up to minimize loads (stress) at low speeds.
syncmaster

Quick Update. Last time my tranny switch itself from manual to automatic mode (and get stock in first gear), "check engine" light showed up. After a visit to my dealer I had my tranny replaced.
ipaqxman

Question for people.

When using the auto OR manual mode for CVT... it feels the car never really use much of the lower gears... at least for my kizashi. What I mean is from start, it shifts rapidly to gear 5 once the car picks up ANY speed, making me feel that the lower gears are almost non-existent, especially for example stimulated gear 1 or 2. Is that normal? Just want to see what other people think...
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
murcod

Shifting up quickly in the auto mode will be to improve the fuel economy.
David
ipaqxman

But what i meant is i felt the car never really used the different lower gears? Just quickly shifted theough them then whats the point... Just wondering if thats normal
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
klement

The auto mode has nothing to do with any "gears". The software is allowed to choose any gear ratio which falls within the minimum and maximum.

What I observed is that during a normal acceleration, the CVT will first rev the engine to ~2000rpm, then it will keep it there until it speeds up to ~35km/h, then it will lock the torque converter and smoothly drop the rpm to ~1200-1500 (depending on load, how heavy my foot on the throttle is, etc.)

Next thing I realized is that the manual mode 6 is the minimum gear ratio, so when driving on highway, when you switch from auto to manual, it will display 6 but the rpm won't change. This can be used if there is a low hill and you don't want the engine to rev up, just put it into manual and let it lug a bit uphill, you will loose some speed, but get a smoother ride.
murcod

Sounds like it operates as a true CVT in auto mode (ie. infinitely variable ratios) but uses the 6 fixed ratios in manual mode? Is that how it works (mine is a manual, so I'm guessing here.)
David
klement

Yes, that's how it operates.

It's also true that the lower ratios are close together. But I think I see the logic there. If you accelerate in manual mode and shift at 6000rpm, then the rpm will drop to ~5000 (at least for the lower 4 ratios I think) and the engine is kept at its best. If the ratios were more apart, the drop would be more significant and the performance and sound:) would be worse.