What Did You Do With Your Kizashi Today?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
DiggerDerrik

Drove it to the tool store to buy some stuff while swapping the turbo on my pickup. Ditching the trouble prone GT32 for the improved GT37. What a PITA!
Attachments
26895676-D5D0-46F8-9523-D9503DC4AD74.jpeg
26895676-D5D0-46F8-9523-D9503DC4AD74.jpeg (901.45 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
KuroNekko

I did a lot of driving in my Kizashi in the last week or so, logging over 1000 miles in a matter of a few days. I drove the Kizashi for a trip out to Lake Havasu in Arizona. The journey started after picking up some friends who flew down to Long Beach Airport in California. From there, I drove the five of us in my packed Kizashi across California to Lake Havasu in Arizona which is close to the border. Despite the car being packed with all five seats occupied with a fully-loaded trunk, it drove surprisingly well and didn't feel sluggish. I credit the manual transmission for this given in my experience, manuals do better than automatics in dealing with extra weight. I've always noticed how my manual trans cars didn't seem to get bogged down considerably in performance from extra weight like my prior automatics did despite similar engine displacements.

Another notable thing was the comfort that everyone seemed to experience. Despite the packed car, people had no difficulty napping during the trip and I even got compliments on the comfort of the Kizashi, particularly the seats.

The trip out to Arizona from Long Beach was mostly via the Interstate 10 once out of Los Angeles County and I drove through desert towns like Palm Springs, Indio, and Coachella (most famous for a music festival). After passing the valley of countless wind mills, the route had me take a ghostly two lane highway which greeted us with a dust storm. The dust storm was the first I've ever encountered and was literally like driving through a thick fog of dirt for a very short time. I intended to save the footage from my dash cam but alas forgot to preserve it in time.

This stretch of road was mostly barren save for the occasional abandoned service station from decades ago. As the needle for my gas tank got closer and closer to E, I started to get nervous. I then finally came across an intersection on the highway with a single gas station. Not wanting to risk running out of gas on such a deserted highway, I filled up reluctantly for $3.99 a gallon. It was shortly after that I drove across into the Arizona border and saw gas prices as low as $2.30 a gallon. #%$*!

Despite being border states, crossing the river into Arizona seemed to reveal a different geography for the state. Red rocks and buttes seemed to tell us that we were no longer in California. After a little while longer on highways, we reached Lake Havasu City, our destination.

While we managed to fit everyone and their luggage within the cabin and trunk of the Kizashi, I still brought my Thule roof box. It came in handy as we stopped at a grocery store, stocking up for the Airbnb we rented for the trip. The roof box allowed us to put the luggage on the roof while packing the trunk with the "groceries".

As all good things, the vacation came to an end too early and we had to get back on the road. The folks that flew in decided to fly out of the closest major airport to make it back to work in San Francisco on the same day. This meant I was driving to Las Vegas Airport in Nevada. Again, the Kizashi served as a reliable and comfortable desert highway cruiser, hauling us all to Las Vegas. It was good seeing the city during the daylight this time given I drove through it at night in my Kizashi during the cross-country trip back in late August of last year. After the drop off at Las Vegas Airport, it was time to head back to California. The I-15 took me back into California after which we headed to our destination in Santa Clarita, CA.

The trip reminded me of how nice the Kizashi can be in diverse roles. As a small midsize sedan with a rigid chassis and sporty suspension, it's fun to zip around in the curves on short drives. However, it's a nice highway cruiser too, soaking up hundreds of miles at a time, humming along nicely at 80 MPH. It's also apparently a nice place for passengers in the rear seats.

As for fuel economy, it was a rather decent and predictable 27 MPG for the calculated portions of the trip (my last fill up was on the trip but I have yet to refill). This included a top figure of 30.6 MPG for a tank coming back from Las Vegas. For a fully loaded vehicle with a roof box at 70+ MPH, I'd have to say 27 MPG average isn't bad.

I regrettably didn't take many photos of the Kizashi in surrounding geography, but managed to snap this once we got to the Airbnb.
Havasu trip.jpg
Havasu trip.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 6145 times
The one below is from a boat on Lake Havasu.
Lake Havasu.jpg
Lake Havasu.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 6145 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Tom Kizzie

Nice pics. wish my garage is that width also
kizashi 6mt black
KuroNekko

Tom Kizzie wrote:Nice pics. wish my garage is that width also
The funny thing is that the garage is much larger than you see in the photo. There is a portion even larger behind where I took the photo and the back side also has a gate. One can actually drive right through that massive garage.
Surprisingly, the folks in the area had even larger garages that could house an entire bus-style RV. I've never seen private residence garages so big before. Some people had garages as large as their massive houses.

Lake Havasu City also had a number of offroad vehicles given the deserts nearby. I saw a number of Ford Raptors and Ram Power Wagons in addition to some pristine modded Suzuki Samurais and ATVs. Given the lake, countless boats too. The people there sure like their toys.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

Such a lovely writeup as usual!

I wish I had such an elaborate and nice trip report, but I made a mad dash to Alabama and back, hitting heavy rain on the way down through both Indiana and Kentucky. At some point (in Indiana I believe), I recall something striking the driver's side door. When I stopped in Indiana for food I noticed some smooth dents in the driver's side door in the reflections. :( They're almost 3" long each and at first I only noticed 2, but there is actually a total of 4. But they are smooth and not creased so I think they can be pulled out.

It was amazing how well the Kizashi handled the continuous downpour of rain while just on humble snow tires. And then shortly after returning to Chicago, it was handling snow again. Such a great car!

And then a few days ago, the high beam bulb also went out on the passenger side. *sigh*. Gotta work on the retrofit project and later the factory retrofit project.
Speed_Racer

It has been snowing on and off this weekend so I've been in the garage checking things off my car and motorcycle to-do lists. I did an interior detail on the Kizashi - it still looks sharp after six years

'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
Tom Kizzie

very nice. hows the gearknob? mine has lost a piece of chrome . It costs 87 euros over here and dont know if it includes our 21% tax
kizashi 6mt black
SamirD

Definitely will looking sharp! 8-)

I'm reminded of that every time I sit in it after being in some other car. You can just feel the difference.

It's nice to see an interior shot like yours that really allows you to 'step back' and take it in from afar. 8-)
Speed_Racer

The gear knob still looks good on mine, but I do have low-ish miles (46k). Have you looked at other knob options? I don't know if they're compatible sizes, but the STI knob is on my list of alternatives should mine wear out.

And yeah it may be six years old and have dated technology, but it still feels as solid as any new ride I've test driven.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
Tom Kizzie

I like to keep all my suzukies original but maybe.....
that sti gearknob looks fine. I would like it to be silver/grey/antracite/titanium or something. mine has almost 70k miles but also its great
kizashi 6mt black