Krashzashi

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Trailboss

My wife said that the engine was cracked...said the tow driver told her so.
I was too bummed to confirm it..the drivers airbag did deploy.

Thanks for the well wishes, it is appreciated.
murcod

You'd be better off with a new one, they can never get them 100% perfect no matter how good the repairer is.
David
Trailboss

murcod wrote:You'd be better off with a new one, they can never get them 100% perfect no matter how good the repairer is.
QFT

My Pontiac Vibe went through a horrendous hailstorm, they re-skinned the roof months later in a car wash I was singing "Raindrops keep fallin on my head"...and that happened in a non-accident claim.
Stodge

Trailboss wrote:
murcod wrote:You'd be better off with a new one, they can never get them 100% perfect no matter how good the repairer is.
QFT

My Pontiac Vibe went through a horrendous hailstorm, they re-skinned the roof months later in a car wash I was singing "Raindrops keep fallin on my head"...and that happened in a non-accident claim.
Hailstones are a little different than losing the front end in an accident.
Ronzuki

good to hear your wife is OK. Sorry about your car, but it can be replaced, wife....not so. If both the front air bag systems deployed, it's totalled. Our '08 SX4's repair bill for a very similar rear ender was going to be $13,400. All front air bags went off. Seat cushions must be replaced as well. More than half the cost of the estimate was due to the SRS system.

If only one side went off, you may be on the side of repair. You'll be better off in the long run if it's totalled.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

The cost of repairing the car will total it, regardless of whether the car can be fixed to run again. I'm not saying that you should keep it, but considering that the car looks like it could be fixed, it may be a worthwhile thing to do for someone. A cheap shop or a private party could spend thousands less than the insurance estimate to repair it. It will have a salvage title, but many cars do and still run.

I recall an ex-girlfriend of mine who drove a '96 Chevy Corsica with a salvage title. She bought it as a salvage and then got into another accident years later and then re-salvaged it. It basically had a double salvage title. The accidents messed up the body, but it got fixed up for cheap and kept going. That car was built like a tank but was worthless in value. Despite its shoddy engine and transmission, it kept going. What killed it in the end was a blown head gasket. Overall, the car was an excellent value because it kept running even with two salvages.
I hope this Kizashi is fixed up if possible to run again like that Corsica. It's a much better car too.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Trailboss

Stodge wrote:
Trailboss wrote:
QFT

Hailstones are a little different than losing the front end in an accident.
I agree, that was the point I was trying to make.
Trailboss

KuroNekko wrote:The cost of repairing the car will total it, regardless of whether the car can be fixed to run again. I'm not saying that you should keep it,..
I would only keep it as a car to be cannibalized, or make a few bucks off fleabay.

In my experience, if you can buy these cars from the insurance company, they can be had ridiculously cheap, after the recyclers get it the price skyrockets...especially on a car that doesn't have the market presence of something that is known a s a fleet vehicle...Taurus, Grand Am, etc...
Trailboss

A letter that I sent to a mechanic that I know, while waiting for his reply, I figured that I would paste it here...any thoughts/ any Suzuki mechanics?

My wife recently totaled her beautiful 2011 Suzuki Kizashi SLS, she came out fine but the car not so much., the front end was totaled. We replaced her car with the same color used 2012 Kizashi, but it is a GTS sport, outside both cars are identical, but the interior is where the difference is substantial. Both cars have identical interiors except for the leather seats front and rear.
Very little (if any) changes have been made to these cars from 2010-2013,, but was wondering how many of these components might be plug-and-play? Meaning…does the manufacturer typically install electrical harnesses of the same type throughout the range of trim levels?
I ask this, because I think that there is a good chance that I may be able to get the salvage rights for the wrecked car for a decent price, but I really don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.
Differences:

SLS-Motorized and heated leather seats switch activation on dash
GTS-cloth, driver’s side motorized, no heat

SLS-auto dimming rearview mirror with universal garage door opener, wire goes up into headliner.
Gts-plain rearview mirror

SLS- Rockford Fosgate 450 watt stereo system with Satellite radio
GTS Rockford Fosgate 450 watt stereo system without satellite
Both units look identical, and I have been told that both are made by Pioneer.

SLS- Backup sensor, and of course the same color bumper…activation switch to the left of the steering wheel.
GTS- none

SLS-Turn signal stalk has auto headlight function.
GTS-basic stalk

I was also thinking that some components that could come in handy that aren't covered under warranty might be worth stripping, brakes, rotors, tires, Oxy sensor etc...wrecked car had less than 16k on it. I wouldn't necessarily change out all the upgrades, depending upon the severity of the work, but the seats are the biggie...

what do you think?
murcod

In previous vehicles (eg. a 2006 Mazda 6 I owned) I found all the wiring was there for the "luxury" features my base model was missing. I added steering wheel mounted volume controls and cruise control- simply by getting the steering wheel off the top of the range model. It was all "plug and play". The only hiccup I had was the brake pedal required an additional switch to be added for the cruise to function. I also added fog lights- by adding a relay under the bonnet, upgrading the signal stalk to one with the fog light switch and finding the factory fog loom behind the bumper.

I'd be surprised if the Kizashi wasn't the same. However, going between different year models might cause problems as the wiring looms etc could be different. There's only one way to find out.

PS: My offer on buying that lower grille still stands. :)
David