Keeps catching my eye

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
wndrwgn

Hello. So, there is a dealership down the street from my house in NH (I know, rare!) and the 2012 Kizashi keeps catching my eye.

My story- 3x owner and loyal Subaru Outback fan. My current 2008 Outback 6 cylinder LL Bean LOOKS like a perfect car. Mechanically, I am completely disappointed with the 6 cylinder transmission that bucks and shudders constantly. I purchased the extended warranty and 4 different mechanics and dealerships stated that all is NORMAL. Plus, my radio periodically cuts out and the HVAC controls do not light up. Gremlins I say.

So, long story short, I am considering a test drive of the Kizashi.

I know you can't compare AWD to Subaru, but overall, is the Kizashi OK in snow? I drive mainly on paved roads and don't need any real taller height for my cars.

Also, reliable enough? I usually keep cars 8 years.

Thanks for reading :P
murcod

Hi, you'll be looking at the CVT AWD Kizashi by the sound of it? Mine is a manual so I can't comment on the CVT, but there are a few posts on it.

I think you'll be more than happy with the build quality of the Suzuki. I'm fairly fussy with vehicles and can't say I've been disappointed. I'm familiar with Subarus as my parents have owned a Liberty (legacy) wagon, Forester and just sold their MY10 Outback- the Kizashi might actually surprise you.
David
KuroNekko

I've come from owning two Subarus in the past. I had a 1995 Impreza that I drove 100,000 miles and also had a 2002 Legacy Wagon which my brother now drives. Both were great and were exceptional in the snow. I too, like murcod, drive a manual Kizashi that I just purchased so I can't comment on the AWD, but keep in mind that Suzuki has offered 4WD on their vehicles for decades. It's not some afterthought that was added to the car.
In terms of quality, I would say that the Kizashi's interior is even better than the Legacy. I've checked out the latest Legacy in an auto show, and I think the Kizashi is better. You can tell that the designers really thought things through and wanted a quality feel to things. It's really chasing Acura with the feel of things.
Keep in mind that the Kizashi is only offered with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, but will handle much better than a Outback and even the Legacy. I can attest to that having owned a Legacy.
Lastly for reliability, Subarus are among the most reliable cars on the road, but real Suzuki cars that were designed and made in Japan, are just as good. The Kizashi was designed, engineered, and built in Japan. It has a very good reliability record despite being a new vehicle. I had a 1998 Suzuki Sidekick that was also very dependable. That was a real Suzuki (made in Japan). Suzuki is done with GM and their rebadging junk Daewoos as Suzukis. Now all Suzukis are real Suzukis other than the Equator (Nissan Frontier, which is actually a good truck).
I would suggest you test drive the Kizashi and see how you like it.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
wndrwgn

Thank you both for your recommendations and overviews. This does help a lot. I plan to drive a large range of vehicles- CRV, RAV4, TSX etc.

I have done enough research online to note that the reviews have all been positive. Very much looking forward to a test drive.

Subaru does remain a very reliable car as a brand. Someone mentioned to me once that they can come as a bullet-proof car or one with annoyances. My current 2008 is full of annoyances. Any possible one-off issue that people have had in the past- mine has. Also, I like that Subaru is a "smaller company". Being in New England, they are all over the road, but I still feel like it is a unique brand. Suzuki is the same.

I read somewhere that the bumper-to-bumper warranty is 5yr/60k...but their website states 3yr/36k (like Subaru). Did it change?
Moto
Site Admin

Not sure about the warranty thing. Subaru may have a slightly better AWD system, but I think suzuki is better than most other auto manufactures. They offer an AWD option on just about everything they make. (Everything in the US)

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

If you get a good set of snow tires it will be a beast.
Northernstar

have never owned a subaru before so can't say anything about their quality. But I know AWD from subaru is one of the best. As for suzuki, this is the first suzuki I have ever owned. Interior wise, i would say suzuki is far better hands down but AWD wise, subaru takes the crown. But suzuki AWD isn't too shabby either imo. Just to let you know some of the issues I have encountered since owning the car:

rear suspension squeak when temp is low
paint chips
a bit of rattlings here and there
replaced anti rattling pin

but all in all, i am pretty satisfied
KuroNekko

The current appears to be 3yrs/36K miles and the powertrain is 7yr/100K miles, fully transferable. I bought mine used, but it only has 7500 miles on it and is only 1 year old. I saved thousands buying it used, yet I get warranty coverage. Win.

As the videos show, the Suzuki AWD system appears to be impressive in the snow. Having owned Subarus, I know that their AWD is very good, but it's not like it's a full range 4WD. My old Suzuki Sidekick had a full range 4WD system which was much better than AWD in serious conditions. I see it as like this: most AWD < Subaru AWD < Full range 4WD.
Lastly, I want to point out that tires are just as, if not more, important for traction than the AWD system in snow. If you want serious traction in the snow, upgrade your tires. I recall having shallow, old tires on my Impreza in the snow one winter. The AWD really didn't help going uphill. The car just kept slipping on all 4 wheels on a hill it used to have no issues with. I had to go back and put on chains. That winter, I learned first hand how much tires and their condition makes a difference in weather.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
chazyouwin

Yes, I am a big fan of dedicated snow tires on four spare wheels as well. Have been doing it on all my vehicles for many years. And so I had years of good experience with FWD 1992 Honda Accord on snows and RWD 1991 240 Volvo on snows. This experience allowed me to consider and buy the FWD Kizashi. It helped that we also had a 4x4 SUV. In NH, I would probably however get the AWD and the snows on dedicated wheels as well.

One thing, though, if you are getting the dedicated wheels/snows for the Kizashi, I would suggest sticking with the bigger diameter (17" or 18") wheels. I went down to a 16" wheel for Blizzak snows and the differerence in driving feel from the 18" is considerable.

Good luck with all the decisions.

By the way, the current bumper to bumper is still 3 year/36,000. Transferable and no deductible. I think it is the 7 year/100,000 mile drive train transferable and no deductible, however, that is the more significant consideration since it covers the bigger expenditures.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
murcod

I might cause a mutiny here, but do you guys get the new Mazda CX5 in the USA? It would have to be a worthy contender if you're in the market for a new AWD type midsizer. Get's excellent reviews here in Australia.

(I'll go hide in a corner now before I get stoned!)
David
Stodge

murcod wrote:I might cause a mutiny here, but do you guys get the new Mazda CX5 in the USA? It would have to be a worthy contender if you're in the market for a new AWD type midsizer. Get's excellent reviews here in Australia.

(I'll go hide in a corner now before I get stoned!)
It gets good reviews here too except it's underpowered, to improve economy. I think reviewers generally like its handling.