Steering virbration during a test drive

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
opps2888

Hi all,

Love the look of the kizashi so i went to test drive a AWD sport model today. Love the handling of the car so much! Wish to join this club ASAP.

The demo I drive is brand new one, however, it has noticiable vibration on the steering when stopping at traffic lights and stop the car completely. (Last for half a sec)

Is it normal the cvt version?

Thanks

Alan
Juan

no vibrations at all on my 2012 sls cvt... test drive another one and see...
babacu

opps2888 wrote:Hi all,

The demo I drive is brand new one, however, it has noticiable vibration on the steering when stopping at traffic lights and stop the car completely. (Last for half a sec)

Thanks

Alan
Is it a type of rough engine vibration, noticeable mostly when you stop abruptly? If so, it's most likely what others have noticed (including myself), when braking hard the CVT is lazy to adjust the ratio and that brings the rpm in "dangerously" low territory, causing kind of an engine shudder. The engine doesn't stop, but you feel the vibration for a second or so, until the rpms get back to idling values.

A bit annoying, but benign, most likely. Try it in manual mode and apply some engine braking before braking hard, to see if this is the issue (the rpms will not drop so low if you're already in first "gear" and you should not feel that strong a vibration).
WESHOOT2

And...

...sometimes the tires are a bit wonky from sitting; sometimes the brakes have a bit of rust built up on them.

Try another.
BM-Power

opps2888 wrote:Hi all,

Love the look of the kizashi so i went to test drive a AWD sport model today. Love the handling of the car so much! Wish to join this club ASAP.

Thanks

Alan
Are you referring to the vibration in the steering wheel while you're braking? If so, then that's perfectly normal. I picked up my Kizashi with almost 0km on the clock and for the first 2,000km I had vibrations in the steering while I was braking; this is due to the brake disks and pads bedding in hence its perfectly normal and goes away after 2,000-5,000km of driving.

Also there might be a bit of vibration in the steering while driving due to the tyres being out of round since the car was sitting in one spot for a long time in the warehouse waiting to be sold; this is also normal and will go away after around 5,000km of driving.

Good luck
BMW E46 330i SMG
Suzuki Kizashi 6MT