if your thinking !!!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
raider48

:x :x if your thinking like i did,and looking into gettin rid of your kizzy because of the what Suzuki is doin,THINK AGAIN !!!! I went car shoppin yesterday at several car lots.
drove dodge dart,Chrysler 200,Hyundai Sonata, honda accord..all 2013's.
none of em even compared [in my book] to my 2012 GTS AWD !!!
but the real kick in the azz was the trade in value :shock: :shock:
i got anywhere from 14-17-k for it,,it has 11000 miles and looks show room clean !!
un frekin believable !!!! i paid 25100 not even a year ago,,,guess ill have to travel or have it towed 300+ miles if anything ever goes wrong with it because im not giving it away for that !! and im sure it will depreciate even more as this bankrupt pans out,, :evil:
2012 GTS-AWD vivid red
jono6406

I just purchased my 2012 SLS last month and I'm not too pleased with Suzuki America either but I will make the best of this situation. My dealer is 22 miles away and as long as they stay open to service my Kizzy then I don't have any problems. As for depreciation, they all do it at a very fast rate especially the first 2 years. Have fun with it and drive it like you stole it cause I am.
Juan

Im in the same boat - Im keeping my 6 week old SLS AWD, I paid 25,400 an not taking a hit on it. Before I bought this car I drove the Kia Optima, Hyunday Sonata, Chevy Impala, Chevy Cruz, VW Passat and non drove felt like the Kizashi plus the AWD had me sold on it right away as I live in the north east and i'm used to jeeps...
Ronzuki

The problem is going to be what to buy next when it's time. I'm still waiting for something a simple and durable as a Samurai to appear. No car is going to rival the Kiz, even for more money unless you get in to the double-the-price range. I was never a car guy once I got out of my 60's muscle cars. Trucks and truck-based SUV's until I bought the Kiz (for the fun to drive at an affordable price factor). I'll probably go back to a truck or wrangler (if they still exist) when that time comes. Same for the wife's SX4...she looked at and drove a bunch of other junk before we bought our 2nd SX4 in 2011. For her, the step-in height of that car is perfect, and of course, the price for such a car in hatch form w/ AWD.

It's truly a sad thing for me Suzuki finally gave up on the U.S.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Atlas

I went to look for a new car too. I tried out the Mazda 3, Ford Focus, and the Fusion - they all just felt sloppy.

The hit I would take, coupled with giving up such an awesome car, made up my mind for me. I'll keep it until the wheels fall off. And, buy up parts for it that I've been wanting.

I hope Road//Race puts their parts on sale since the car is no more. :)
KuroNekko

I'm a little unconventional. I like to buy used and I like to buy in cash. Basically, I like to own, even if it's never brand new.
I have never made a single car payment in my life and because I care little about trade-in, depreciation means very little to me. I rather focus on the quality and reliability of a car over things like APR, trade-in, etc. Car ownership is a different experience for me as I focus on the long-term.
I think the Kizashi is the kind of car to just hang on to. Two main reasons for this:

First is that it's almost worthless. It's valued less than many cars that are obviously inferior. It's not the car's fault, but rather the brand and the unpopularity. No one knows how good the Kizashi actually is and unfortunately, many don't care to find out. This goes to hurt its value. Suzuki's bankruptcy and exodus just made these cars near the rock bottom in trade-in value.

Second, the car is actually very good. Even brand new, it was a lot of car for the money. Compared to rivals, the Kizashi is rich in standard features and many of us have AWD which is hard to find in the midsize category. The Kizashi also has German-level fit & finish with Japanese reliability. It also drives a lot better than most midsize cars. We all know it's a really good car.

Basically, put the two together and we are all left with a very good car that is worth little on the market. The person who is going to benefit most is one who plans to hold on to the car and drive it to the ground. That's my plan.

If you are the type that drives a car for a few years and then trades-in, then you are screwed, but then getting a Suzuki was not a smart choice in the first place. They had poor trade-in value long before the bankruptcy. Obviously, the stellar car itself was what made most owners decide on the Kizashi. Maybe some have forgotten that fact.

If you have no choice and need to get out of a Kizashi, but still long for something similar, definitely go check out the Subaru Legacy. These cars have AWD standard, have about the same MPGs, and are very reliable. They also drive rather nice, though not as well as the Kizashi in handling. Subarus also hold the highest resale value of any brand. That being said, Legacies are not as cheap as a Kizashi.

I would also check out a Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5. The Mazda6 is one of the better handling midsizes out there and is now very fuel efficient. However, no AWD offering. A diesel engine is rumored to arrive soon. The CX-5 is a small cross-over with the best MPG of any SUV with good on-road driving dynamics. Offered with AWD.

Other midsizes like the ones from Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Hyundai, etc. are rather uninspiring. They were built more has people-movers than cars with a soul. I am not at all surprised most of you thought they sucked compared to the Kizashi.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
BM-Power

KuroNekko wrote:I'm a little unconventional. I like to buy used and I like to buy in cash. Basically, I like to own, even if it's never brand new.
I have never made a single car payment in my life and because I care little about trade-in, depreciation means very little to me. I rather focus on the quality and reliability of a car over things like APR, trade-in, etc. Car ownership is a different experience for me as I focus on the long-term.
I think the Kizashi is the kind of car to just hang on to. Two main reasons for this:

First is that it's almost worthless. It's valued less than many cars that are obviously inferior. It's not the car's fault, but rather the brand and the unpopularity. No one knows how good the Kizashi actually is and unfortunately, many don't care to find out. This goes to hurt its value. Suzuki's bankruptcy and exodus just made these cars near the rock bottom in trade-in value.

Second, the car is actually very good. Even brand new, it was a lot of car for the money. Compared to rivals, the Kizashi is rich in standard features and many of us have AWD which is hard to find in the midsize category. The Kizashi also has German-level fit & finish with Japanese reliability. It also drives a lot better than most midsize cars. We all know it's a really good car.

Basically, put the two together and we are all left with a very good car that is worth little on the market. The person who is going to benefit most is one who plans to hold on to the car and drive it to the ground. That's my plan.

If you are the type that drives a car for a few years and then trades-in, then you are screwed, but then getting a Suzuki was not a smart choice in the first place. They had poor trade-in value long before the bankruptcy. Obviously, the stellar car itself was what made most owners decide on the Kizashi. Maybe some have forgotten that fact.

If you have no choice and need to get out of a Kizashi, but still long for something similar, definitely go check out the Subaru Legacy. These cars have AWD standard, have about the same MPGs, and are very reliable. They also drive rather nice, though not as well as the Kizashi in handling. Subarus also hold the highest resale value of any brand. That being said, Legacies are not as cheap as a Kizashi.

I would also check out a Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5. The Mazda6 is one of the better handling midsizes out there and is now very fuel efficient. However, no AWD offering. A diesel engine is rumored to arrive soon. The CX-5 is a small cross-over with the best MPG of any SUV with good on-road driving dynamics. Offered with AWD.

Other midsizes like the ones from Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Hyundai, etc. are rather uninspiring. They were built more has people-movers than cars with a soul. I am not at all surprised most of you thought they sucked compared to the Kizashi.
I agree, the Kizashi is definitely a car to keep considering nothing out there comes close to it in terms of performance, comfort and reliability for the same amount of money. As soon as the Kizashi production is about to cease I'll be lining up at the dealership to get a another new one to keep for few more years.

As for the trading it in, trying to trade-in 1 year old car is not a very good idea since the depreciation is at its highest. Most people would be happy to add a bit more and get a brand new car then get a used (less then 3 year old car) for a little bit less. The bad thing for you guys in the US is the Suzuki is gone hence the prices of used ones are rock bottom
BMW E46 330i SMG
Suzuki Kizashi 6MT
wndrwgn

The 2013 Kizashi is running about $5000 off MSRP right now. Call me crazy, but I still think that is a little too high. I was set on the Kizashi (without a full test drive) b/c of the options and reputation. Now, I am back to the old Honda / Toyota crew.

If they really want us to buy, still not knowing what dealerships will remain, how about $10k off!? ;)
tbogan

I have to say I'm in the hold on to and drive her into the ground camp. You're going to take it in the you know what trying to trade in now and frankly why? Unless for some reason you don't like the car there's no need. Warranties are being honored and any good indy mechanic can do regular maintenance on these. Look at it this way, if you hang onto it you're driving a collectors item :) These cars will hold up well and just to reinforce that I saw a samurai today while driving around town.

As far as alternatives, Kuro, i gotta pick a nit with you, the legacy just won't do it. From a practical, it's got AWD and holds it's value standpoint yes, its a good choice. In driving terms I really wanted to like the 2012 holdover Legacy I test drove. It was a tarted up 2.5L 4 and it was great as far as creature comforts and I could even buy it for less than my my 2012 SLS AWD but it drove like a big, clumsy car. Seats were very soft and unsupportive and it was just too much car for the engine to pull along.

I know on paper this car and ours are nearly identical and I was surprised myself at the difference between the two. If you could swing a good deal on the 3.6R it might make a difference but I have to say if you think you're going to lose your Kizashi for a Legacy and get the same sort of driving dynamics it aint gonna happen. Maybe the Dodge Dart in high trim or a Jetta GLI. There's so little out there in this price range that really stacks up, it's a shame.

Anyway, long winded way of saying I'm happily keeping mine. The dealership I bought it from told me today they have way too many suzuki auto customers to break ties and will be offering parts, service, and warranty work indefinitely. They also mentioned that they'll have some good deals to be had on anything on their lot. Trying to talk my wife into a SX4 Crossover or adding another Kizashi.
KuroNekko

tbogan wrote: As far as alternatives, Kuro, i gotta pick a nit with you, the legacy just won't do it. From a practical, it's got AWD and holds it's value standpoint yes, its a good choice. In driving terms I really wanted to like the 2012 holdover Legacy I test drove. It was a tarted up 2.5L 4 and it was great as far as creature comforts and I could even buy it for less than my my 2012 SLS AWD but it drove like a big, clumsy car. Seats were very soft and unsupportive and it was just too much car for the engine to pull along.

I know on paper this car and ours are nearly identical and I was surprised myself at the difference between the two. If you could swing a good deal on the 3.6R it might make a difference but I have to say if you think you're going to lose your Kizashi for a Legacy and get the same sort of driving dynamics it aint gonna happen. Maybe the Dodge Dart in high trim or a Jetta GLI. There's so little out there in this price range that really stacks up, it's a shame.
I know that the new Legacies are bloated and not as good as the previous generation. The older ones from around 2008 or so handle better and drive better, but probably not up to Kizashi level. I've had two Subarus in the past and I think they are overall the best brand. I really like Subaru. I just have a thing for smaller Japanese brands so I wanted to try other cars.

Also, I generally don't like to compare the Kizashi to cars like the Dart and the Jetta because they are considered compacts. The Kizashi is more of a midsize with smaller dimensions. One of the main reasons I got my Kizashi was that I was getting tired of driving compacts. The compacts' tighter space, noisier cabin, rougher ride, etc. was tiring me out. Every time I drove someone else's midsize whether it was an Accord or Camry, it was just a more pleasant experience for overall comfort. I was glad to find that the Kizashi had the sporty handling of a good compact with the comfort of a nice midsize.

The Kizashi got a lot of flak for it's small midsize proportions from the press, etc., but I thought it was prefect for someone like me. I didn't care for a larger size of a midsize, but wanted the chassis refinement and comfort they generally have over compacts. The smaller size also keeps the weight down a bit and helps the car's performance. The smaller size and lighter weight is actually one of the contributors to the Kizashi's driving prowess over nearly all others in its class and price range.

I plan to keep my Kizashi a while, but I wonder what car will fit my criteria in the future as I am picky. I was thrilled to find that the Kizashi offered a manual transmission throughout its top trims all until the current model year. I am sick of brands treating manuals like some oddball, bargain-level offering and putting them only in the lowest trim. Some cars like the Altima did away with manuals completely. I was really drawn when I learned that the Kizashi was the opposite of the mainstream in this regard.
When I found out I could have 3 pedals AND have a 425 watt RF system with the 18 inch alloys, I was sold.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)