Fuel Economy - manual transmission

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Woodie

I think you're arguing with a bot, but I'll save you by jumping into the fray.

Automatics and CVTs are more fuel efficient ON THE EPA TEST because they're designed to do that exact task. In real life use they don't do better than manuals.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

I agree that it's likely a bot but the reality is that this forum needs more activity so it's worth the response/discussion.

As for what you wrote, I would say that manuals are more likely to consistently hit the EPA estimates. My manual Kizashi has delivered expected fuel economy consistently for 130,000 miles. As for CVTs and autos, they can vary more but in my experience, they deliver higher fuel economy than their direct manual counterparts. Like the Crosstrek exemplifies, it's getting to a point that manuals no longer make sense in terms of cost-savings, unless it's initial vehicle price. However, some models now only offer manuals in higher specs, such as with the Mazda3.

It's just fact that manuals are a relic of the past that have not improved much but automatics have, at least in efficiency. There are many reasons to favor a manual transmission but with more modern cars, they don't offer a fuel economy advantage like they did in the past. They are really not the more efficient option anymore.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SAEED_KIZZY

IMO, CVT or manual makes little difference when it comes to an 12-year-old car like Kizashi there are a lot of parameters that can go wrong and change fuel consumption but when it comes to comfort nothing beats AT like CVT I love it, especially in heavy traffic.
KuroNekko

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 am IMO, CVT or manual makes little difference when it comes to an 12-year-old car like Kizashi there are a lot of parameters that can go wrong and change fuel consumption but when it comes to comfort nothing beats AT like CVT I love it, especially in heavy traffic.
In an older car, I agree. The difference is not that much but the newer models are really gapping manuals as they have more advanced CVTs and automatics. As for traffic, yes, manuals can be detrimental and annoying but I find manuals actually smoother, especially when stopped because they don't have torque converters that create that buzzy idle. In neutral, I can often only tell the car is on by looking at the tachometer.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)