FYI: RRM rear sway bar on sale for $199

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Wonson92

By the time I remembered about it after my trip I had lost the details. Woops...
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat
LPSISRL

So let me ask you guys who have installed an aftermarket sway bar. Is there really a noticeable difference? I mean, my SLS corners like it was on rails. I take turns way faster than I did before and the tires don't even complain. It's almost like I'd be afraid to push it to the limit because I'd be going so fast that losing control would be one heck of a wreck. And a different sway bar would hold it tighter to the road?
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
bootymac

Thicker sway bars help immensely with body roll, which is a big problem on my S model.

A thicker rear sway bar also helps neutralize the handling by reducing understeer. I don't find the Kizashi to understeer too much but I haven't pushed it beyond its limits yet.

On my GTI, I have upgraded both front and rear sway bars. The stiffer rear really helped reduce the understeer and the car corners flat at high speeds. Definitely the best bang for the buck suspension modification!

My sway bar arrives tomorrow so I'm hoping to install it this weekend!
Wonson92

I cant vouch for AWD but it made a world of difference for me. I wouldnt even think about it for $200.
2011 Premium Silver XL

murcod

bootymac wrote:Thicker sway bars help immensely with body roll, which is a big problem on my S model.

A thicker rear sway bar also helps neutralize the handling by reducing understeer. I don't find the Kizashi to understeer too much but I haven't pushed it beyond its limits yet.
Exactly. Mine's a FWD lower spec Kizashi and body roll (rear end) was a major issue. Even changing lanes at normal speeds there is a noticeable difference with the upgraded bar. Cornering is a huge improvement- the whole vehicle is a lot more planted and confidence inspiring. Previously, it felt like the rear end was taking over control and it made direction changes very messy if you were exploring the handling potential. Pre the rear bar upgrade I did push it hard once on a large roundabout when turning right- things did get very messy, starting with the rear end body roll upsetting the whole vehicle, then the front end washing out.....

It is a night and day difference now. I'd liken the improvement as similar to going from the cheapest nastiest tyres to the best you could buy. It is that big, but without the huge price tag.

If you also upgrade from the Yoko dB E70 tyres then it's like you've upgraded to a higher rung performance vehicle. Once again, I'm basing my opinions on the Aussie spec Touring model (FWD with 17" rims.)
David
KuroNekko

I was going to order one, but when I was checking out, I saw that shipping was going to be a ridiculous $50. I backed out... for now.

While some of you guys are saying it helps (I truly believe it), I am starting to realize maybe there is quite a difference between the standard Kizashi handling vs. the Sport models. I don't have any noticeable understeer or body roll that gives me concern. My Sport GTS handles great. LPSISRL also states the same and he has a Sport SLS. Maybe it's the Sport suspension, lowered height, and the lightweight 18's actually making a difference.
Regardless, the rear sway bar is attractive, but man, I'm questioning whether to dish out $250 for something I don't feel needs improvement in my car.
Has anyone with a 2011~2013 Sport GTS or SLS installed one of these?
If it's true that the stock bar is 15mm for the Sport models, then an upgrade to 19mm has to make a noticeable difference.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Annoyingly, parts catalogs do not have part numbers so it's difficult to differentiate parts between the Sport and non-Sport models. As far as I can tell, the only difference (if any) between the stock rear sway bars is AWD and non-AWD. The only measurements I've seen so far is 15mm for AWD and 16mm for non-AWD

The stiffer springs on the Sport models definitely help with body roll though. Too bad there's no documentation on spring rates.
Wonson92

KuroNekko wrote:I was going to order one, but when I was checking out, I saw that shipping was going to be a ridiculous $50. I backed out... for now.

While some of you guys are saying it helps (I truly believe it), I am starting to realize maybe there is quite a difference between the standard Kizashi handling vs. the Sport models. I don't have any noticeable understeer or body roll that gives me concern. My Sport GTS handles great. LPSISRL also states the same and he has a Sport SLS. Maybe it's the Sport suspension, lowered height, and the lightweight 18's actually making a difference.
Regardless, the rear sway bar is attractive, but man, I'm questioning whether to dish out $250 for something I don't feel needs improvement in my car.
Has anyone with a 2011~2013 Sport GTS or SLS installed one of these?
If it's true that the stock bar is 15mm for the Sport models, then an upgrade to 19mm has to make a noticeable difference.
Without knowing where you are in relation to RRM I wouldnt cringe at $50, its not a small part. I drove an AWD Kizashi when I was test driving, I couldnt tell a huge diffence in body roll or handling for that matter. The responsiveness in the steering was let down by the CVT a bit in my eyes but im a manual junkie. i.e DOO ITT! :D Im very tight with how I spend my money, I paid $250 for the whiteline bar ($50 cheaper than RRP) and I would definitely do it again. Even $300.
2011 Premium Silver XL

murcod

KuroNekko wrote: While some of you guys are saying it helps (I truly believe it), I am starting to realize maybe there is quite a difference between the standard Kizashi handling vs. the Sport models. I don't have any noticeable understeer or body roll that gives me concern. My Sport GTS handles great. LPSISRL also states the same and he has a Sport SLS. Maybe it's the Sport suspension, lowered height, and the lightweight 18's actually making a difference.
The Sport suspension should be better, but I haven't driven one to compare against?

Here's some stuff worth reading:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... -up-review

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about regarding the Kizashi handling:
3rd place: Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS Front Three Quarters "You sure the Kizashi belongs here?" asked tester Kim Reynolds after he hustled the Suzuki around the figure-eight test. Mind you, that was before Kim crunched the data and realized the Kizashi tied for a best-in-test lateral acceleration of 0.90 g. Rather, Kim was referring to the same sensations we experienced on the drive loop: Through the course of a turn, the Suzuki would begin with ultra-quick turn-in (whoa!) followed by unnerving body roll (oh, no) followed by beautiful tracking (wait, what?). The Sport GTS, differentiated by 18-inch lightweight alloys, aero body kit, and sport suspension with 0.4-inch-lower ride height, delivered odd sensations that made it extremely capable but not exactly confidence-inspiring. "So much lateral movement, it feels like the tires get sucked under you on right-hand turns," noted associate editor Mike Febbo.
from http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sed ... ewall.html

At the end of the day, I guess it all comes down to what you've been used to driving (ie. previous vehicles owned), as far as judging the Kizashi's handling. Bootymac and myself have come from "hot hatch" backgrounds with modified vehicles- so we're probably more critical. (This is what I came from to the Kizashi http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... _clio.html )
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:
The Sport suspension should be better, but I haven't driven one to compare against?

Here's some stuff worth reading:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... -up-review

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about regarding the Kizashi handling:
3rd place: Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS Front Three Quarters "You sure the Kizashi belongs here?" asked tester Kim Reynolds after he hustled the Suzuki around the figure-eight test. Mind you, that was before Kim crunched the data and realized the Kizashi tied for a best-in-test lateral acceleration of 0.90 g. Rather, Kim was referring to the same sensations we experienced on the drive loop: Through the course of a turn, the Suzuki would begin with ultra-quick turn-in (whoa!) followed by unnerving body roll (oh, no) followed by beautiful tracking (wait, what?). The Sport GTS, differentiated by 18-inch lightweight alloys, aero body kit, and sport suspension with 0.4-inch-lower ride height, delivered odd sensations that made it extremely capable but not exactly confidence-inspiring. "So much lateral movement, it feels like the tires get sucked under you on right-hand turns," noted associate editor Mike Febbo.
from http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sed ... ewall.html

At the end of the day, I guess it all comes down to what you've been used to driving (ie. previous vehicles owned), as far as judging the Kizashi's handling. Bootymac and myself have come from "hot hatch" backgrounds with modified vehicles- so we're probably more critical. (This is what I came from to the Kizashi http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... _clio.html )
True, if you came from a GTI or similar, then handling was probably better than the best Kizashi however, those cars are not forgiving in the bumps. A guy I know has a 2009 GTI and while the car handled great, you felt the bumps and potholes real well.

I've also read that review before, but they were comparing the Kizashi GTS to the Jetta GLI and the Civic Si. I wouldn't really compare the Kizashi to those cars, but more to the 4 cyl. Accord and the N/A Jetta 2.5.

Anyhow, I'm still mulling this over. $50 for shipping is rather high, I feel. It's like 1/4 of the price of the product just to ship it. Maybe you Aussies are used to it, but I am not. Even for shipping cross-country (RRM is in California), I consider this rather high and I buy car parts all the time for the VW bus I am restoring. However, I may give in given most of you rave on about this rear sway bar.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)