What Did You Do With Your Kizashi Today?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
SamirD
Posts: 2981
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: HSV and SFO
Contact:

I've seen similar threads on various sites, but didn't see one here. So I thought I'd start one. 8-)

It's a simple concept--share what you did to or did with your Kizashi today!
User avatar
KuroNekko
Posts: 4760
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: California, USA

Drove to work. :lol:
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
User avatar
Speed_Racer
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

I let mine have the day off (I walk to work hah)
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
SamirD
Posts: 2981
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: HSV and SFO
Contact:

Looked at all the salt and show residue on it, and reminded myself that someone told me what have a place to rinse our cars off in our apartment complex.

Saw the UPS received notification on the snow wheels a few minutes ago!
User avatar
KuroNekko
Posts: 4760
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: California, USA

SamirD wrote:Looked at all the salt and show residue on it, and reminded myself that someone told me what have a place to rinse our cars off in our apartment complex.

Saw the UPS received notification on the snow wheels a few minutes ago!
You definitely want to hose off the car, especially the underside. Salt is corrosive and is the main reason why cars rust. That and the humidity is why cars on the East Coast rust out far quicker than cars in the South West (where it's dry AND they don't use salt on roads). California cars have an advantage in the used car market because they seldom have rust issues. It's also why you see many older cars still on the road in California.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WESHOOT2
Posts: 1902
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:37 pm
Location: Vermont

I started it; it made ugly noises; it was -15F.

I drove to work, slowly at first, until its fluids reached a workable temp. Then I went faster.

I ain't home yet, though.......
SamirD
Posts: 2981
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm
Location: HSV and SFO
Contact:

KuroNekko wrote:You definitely want to hose off the car, especially the underside. Salt is corrosive and is the main reason why cars rust. That and the humidity is why cars on the East Coast rust out far quicker than cars in the South West (where it's dry AND they don't use salt on roads). California cars have an advantage in the used car market because they seldom have rust issues. It's also why you see many older cars still on the road in California.
Oh I know what you mean. I never saw any car with rust until I came to Milwaukee. We looked at a 2011 Subaru Legacy before we knew of the Kizashi, and when I looked under the car, the entire cat-back was a deep rust color. When I asked the sales person how long exhaust systems last, he said "2-3 years tops". :shock:

I'm surprised they don't do undercoating here, but it probably doesn't help. I know the previous owner took a lot of care to wash the undercarriage and the body regularly. He told me about how he drove home at 2 miles an hour to keep the fresh salt on the road from getting on the car towards the end of the season. 8-)
User avatar
KuroNekko
Posts: 4760
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: California, USA

SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:You definitely want to hose off the car, especially the underside. Salt is corrosive and is the main reason why cars rust. That and the humidity is why cars on the East Coast rust out far quicker than cars in the South West (where it's dry AND they don't use salt on roads). California cars have an advantage in the used car market because they seldom have rust issues. It's also why you see many older cars still on the road in California.
Oh I know what you mean. I never saw any car with rust until I came to Milwaukee. We looked at a 2011 Subaru Legacy before we knew of the Kizashi, and when I looked under the car, the entire cat-back was a deep rust color. When I asked the sales person how long exhaust systems last, he said "2-3 years tops". :shock:

I'm surprised they don't do undercoating here, but it probably doesn't help. I know the previous owner took a lot of care to wash the undercarriage and the body regularly. He told me about how he drove home at 2 miles an hour to keep the fresh salt on the road from getting on the car towards the end of the season. 8-)
I know the Kizashi does have some corrosion-resistance like zinc-plated undercarriage parts and wax-sealed components, but salt can do damage regardless unless your car is entirely aluminum or a composite material (meaning the car is an atrociously expensive exotic).

The mountains where I used to live in California used this gravel-like material as traction assistance instead of salt. I believe the main reason was because salt has some adverse environmental effects (can affect the lakes up there?), not to mention rusting out cars. However, I can see that salt can be more suitable in large, non-alpine cities. This gravel material did not dissolve and just became part of the dirt on the side of the road once the snow melted. It wasn't a problem in the mountains, but it could gum up sewer systems in a city. Also, this gravel stuff did not do much about melting snow and ice like salt does. I guess it was suitable for the mountains, but not so much in large cities like in the Midwest, etc.

However, when it comes to just considering cars, the gravel stuff is much better as it does not contribute to rust. When I sold my Subaru Impreza to my buddy, it did not have any rust despite having 225,000 (California) miles. It was my trusty ride when I was in California until I moved out East.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Shaneous
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 am
Location: Australia

Drove to work with the sunroof and all windows open because it was 30 degrees celcius at 7:30am :-)

(sorry people in the Northern hemisphere!!)
User avatar
KuroNekko
Posts: 4760
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: California, USA

Shaneous wrote:Drove to work with the sunroof and all windows open because it was 30 degrees celcius at 7:30am :-)

(sorry people in the Northern hemisphere!!)
I lived in Australia for one year when I was a kid. I remember seeing stores decorated with Santa riding a surfboard instead of a sled to make it more Aussie-appropriate. It's still odd to think that Christmas time is around the hottest part of the year for Australians.

It's around 30 degrees Fahrenheit where I am now. That would be -1 Celsius.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Post Reply