CVT Transmission starting to fail

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
~tc~

Sounds like the typical tranny cooler failure
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

That looks like coolant mixing with the transmission fluid.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

OK then....so new tranny gets installed, coolant enters new tranny, tranny cooks....repeat!

Typical stealership....fix the symptom and ignore the problem.

Suzuki, or any other manufacturer, won't pay the dealer twice for the same repair...then the excuses will start flying as they hand the OP a bill for tranny #3.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:OK, so what's in the fluid that turned it to milk and how did it get in there? Putting in a new trans w/o knowing the cause of this may be a futile, expensive, effort.
My thinking as well.

And considering that the transmission was still working in this condition, I bet if the fluid was flushed out and replaced that it would actually work fine. :shock: 8-)
bootymac wrote:I'm very interested to know the cause too. Is the CVT cooled with coolant? Possibly a leak mixing the two fluids?
It is. The trans cooler is a part of the radiator. Sometimes, there can be a pin hole in the trans cooler and the coolant will mix causing this type of damage.

Did the tech check the coolant in the car?
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:Sounds like the typical tranny cooler failure
KuroNekko wrote:That looks like coolant mixing with the transmission fluid.
Ronzuki wrote:OK then....so new tranny gets installed, coolant enters new tranny, tranny cooks....repeat!

Typical stealership....fix the symptom and ignore the problem.

Suzuki, or any other manufacturer, won't pay the dealer twice for the same repair...then the excuses will start flying as they hand the OP a bill for tranny #3.
I hope the tech goes through everything with a fine tooth comb, and at least changes the fluid in the current tranny before giving it back to the owner to drive until the replacement tranny arrives.
kevvvinc

I hope they can find out. The Suzuki tech line suggested this could be a heat related issue and to ensure engine operating temp is fine. The tech also suggested some internal seal may have broken. I just want my car to drive the way it is suppose to. Can't wait. I am driving the car till the new unit arrives at the dealership and with that terrible fluid in it. The car drives like crap at the moment. Plain and simple.
~tc~

I really can't believe they authorized that. Be sure to take a look at the engine radiator fluid. If ATF got in there, you could have BIG problems coming.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Ronzuki

SamirD wrote:I hope the tech goes through everything with a fine tooth comb, and at least changes the fluid in the current tranny before giving it back to the owner to drive until the replacement tranny arrives.
:lol: really? With the cost of that fluid....they'll let him keep driving what he's got until it won't roll any longer. Personally I would have demanded a rental loaner and left the car until the replacement unit arrived and the car was repaired after seeing that mess in the pan.

I'd still want to know the cause before they ruin another trans, or worse as TC eluded to with CVT fluid in the cooling system whilst driving around in a screwed up car needlessly.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
kevvvinc

I keep reading replies mentioning rad fluid in the transmission.
I don't think that radiator fluid can go into the transmission of the Kizashi.
I could be very well mistaken but I think that the CVT in the Kizashi has a dedicated transmission cooler with no attachment to the radiator. Again I could be wrong.
Whatever the problem is, let them find it and deal with it. That's why we have a warranty. It's just unfortunate that I bough this car for reliability and frankly it hasn't been all that spectacular. Accessory drive belt has been replaced, front end work has been performed and now my transmission. Mind you it has never left me stranded, I have owned far more reliable cars.
murcod

From the factory service manual:
Cooling system
• CVT fluid cooler (air-cooled)
• Radiator assisted cooling (water-cooled)
In the Radiator Removal/ Installation section it also says:
Drain CVT fluid (CVT model).
I also just found these pictures-

Manual trans radiator:

CVT radiator (note two additional connections for the CVT cooling):
David