Warning about the Kizashi's Roof Rack Mounting Surface

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

I have the Suzuki accessory roof rack and bike module. I bought them last year and really like both accessory items. However, when I don't expect to use them for a long time, I remove them from my car. Last Fall, I used the rack and module for my mountain bike. I removed them both for the winter. This Fall, I plan on using them again so I re-installed them this morning. The problem was that the Kizashi's mounting surface screw threads were thoroughly rusted. This is because once you use the mounting surface, the bolts that go in them remove the paint from the thread surface. This then exposes the steel threads to the elements even with the mount cover on.

Basically, the corrosion made it very difficult to reinsert the bolts in the threads. It was impossible with the hand tool supplied with the rack. I ended up having to use an impact driver. I put anti-seize on the bolt threads first, but one of bolts' Allen head got rounded so will probably require an extractor to remove. I f@%king hate Allen heads and consider them the bane of a gearhead's existence. I find them inappropriate for automotive use especially since bolts typically need to be tightened well. I hate seeing them on cars and only consider them okay for IKEA furniture. Once I have to remove these bolts, I'll probably replace them all with Torx bolts of the same specs. Torx is what Allen heads should have been when invented.

So basically, this is a warning to other users of this mounting surface that these threads will rust after their initial use. I'll probably leave the bolts in them from now on with anti-seize even when the roof rack is not in use. I think the mounting surface cover will still have clearance to fit.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Speed_Racer

Thanks for the heads up! I thoroughly applied Fluid Film to all the rack mounting surfaces when I reinstalled the rack this spring. I'll report back after this winter if it prevented any corrosion from forming, or if I need to switch products.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
Ronzuki

If you find corrosion, run a bottoming tap through the threads BEFORE attempting to thread a bolt in the hole. Anti-sieze or not, the threads should be chased first.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:If you find corrosion, run a bottoming tap through the threads BEFORE attempting to thread a bolt in the hole. Anti-sieze or not, the threads should be chased first.
Totally agree. It's just that I was mounting the roof rack before heading into work and didn't really have patience. I also plan to replace the current Allen bolts with Torx bolts so I'm not too concerned about the condition of the bolts.
Ronzuki

:mrgreen: Kuro...you're killing my impression....I pegged you for a very patient dude! Especially with your detail oriented posts and how-to's.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
murcod

Lanolin based anti corrosion products are supposed to be pretty good. I've used some on earthing bolts on an old vehicle I'm restoring and it certainly holds up well in the elements.
David
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote::mrgreen: Kuro...you're killing my impression....I pegged you for a very patient dude! Especially with your detail oriented posts and how-to's.
I'm meticulous and detail-oriented, but not always patient. When I have limited time and want to get something done, I may not always take the best method. That was the case with the roof racks being installed the other day. They are on snug so I'm thinking the mounting surface threads are in okay shape. I think I'll leave the racks on for all of Fall. My Kizashi now has a more Subaru-esque look.
whiteliner

Has no one heard of putting copper grease on threads when not in use for a long time ?
It's simple knowledge bare metal rusts !
Thats why manufacturers use it.
Come on guys use some common sense.
Speed_Racer

whiteliner wrote:Has no one heard of putting copper grease on threads when not in use for a long time ?
Gee thanks...
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
bootymac

whiteliner wrote:Has no one heard of putting copper grease on threads when not in use for a long time ?
Instructions unclear, copper grease on my bagel