Warning about the Kizashi's Roof Rack Mounting Surface

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Speed_Racer

bootymac wrote: Instructions unclear, copper grease on my bagel
I've finished applying copper grease to the treads of all my tires to prevent my bolts from rusting.

Wait...what do you mean he said "THREADS"?

Captain's log: Handling has deteriorated considerably.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
KuroNekko

whiteliner wrote:Has no one heard of putting copper grease on threads when not in use for a long time ?
It's simple knowledge bare metal rusts !
Thats why manufacturers use it.
Come on guys use some common sense.
That's obviously not common sense.
Bare metal rusts, however it's hard to predict this would have happened given how the surface mounts were designed unless you were very particular and attentive and could foresee the tiny surface area of the threads rusting months after an initial use.
Sorry, but that's not common sense.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

Common sense would be Suzuki using some sort of rust preventative coating (eg galvanising) on the nut!
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:Common sense would be Suzuki using some sort of rust preventative coating (eg galvanising) on the nut!
Yup.
I think Suzuki thought about it enough to have a roof-incorporated mounting surface, but didn't think about the fact that once a bolt is threaded into the painted mount, the threads would lose the paint and the bare metal would be exposed. Having it galvanized instead of painted would have been the smarter design.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

Note to self--get Fluid Film for winter!
yezzaboss

3 questions about the bolts used to attach your roof racks, gentlefolks.
1. What size bolt e.g. "M4" were those %$#@ Allen screws used to attach the Whispbars?
2. Any torque figure for tightening?
3. Pros and cons of using e.g. Loctite, to prevent vibration loosening them, and maybe rust-seizing?

(I'm thinking of modifying an off-brand rack ....)
2011 Kizashi 'S'
Speed_Racer

2. Not that I know of, I make sure they're snug w/o stripping
3. Loctite Blue 242 (in the red tube) - I use it on the motorcycle. Keeps bolts from vibrating lose, but not permanent so you can unscrew to remove at a later time.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
Nugatti

yezzaboss wrote:3 questions about the bolts used to attach your roof racks, gentlefolks.
1. What size bolt e.g. "M4" were those %$#@ Allen screws used to attach the Whispbars?
3. Pros and cons of using e.g. Loctite, to prevent vibration loosening them, and maybe rust-seizing?

For any future searchers that happen upon this thread, the thread size in the roof is M6x1.

Sent fra min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk
SamirD

Nugatti wrote:
yezzaboss wrote:3 questions about the bolts used to attach your roof racks, gentlefolks.

For any future searchers that happen upon this thread, the thread size in the roof is M6x1.

Sent fra min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk
Thank you! I'm sure this will come in handy as our cars continue to age. 8-)