The Kizzy keeps getting reviewed

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
nytq

2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
KuroNekko

I'd say this was a rather honest review save for the Sport models being heavier. It sounds like the Sport models all come with AWD in Australia which wasn't the case in the US. It's not the Sport features that make the vehicle heavier; it's the AWD system. My 6 speed manual Sport GTS is lighter and faster than an S AWD and all due to the drivetrain.

At this point, I think the Kizashi makes a decent used car purchase but not a new one unless you got a really good deal. Suzuki Australia's website still features the Kizashi so it looks like they are still sold brand new over there. However, the Kizashi's powertrain technology is very dated now and the competition easily makes more power while getting better fuel economy. There are even V6 AWD CUVs getting similar fuel economy to the Kizashi. Keep in mind that the Kizashi debuted in 2009 and hasn't changed since. It's on powertrain technology from several years ago. Hence, I think it makes a great used vehicle for a bargain price, but it really can't compete with new cars out now.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: Hence, I think it makes a great used vehicle for a bargain price, but it really can't compete with new cars out now.
eh...I'd still by a new one, right now, over anything new out there today for the same money. Hence why we see discussions on here about what to replace our Kizashis with. There's really nothing out there. Anything for the same $$ is a huge step down. Nothing wrong with the 2.4 engine 'cept the fuel economy is a tad lacking, bfd. And while I've actually grown quite fond of the CVT's smoothness, I'd like to see it a bit more robust. That said, the more BS the automakers implement in attempts to 'improve' fuel economy, at this point, only causes further overall reliability issues and grief down the road IMHO.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
nytq

Ronzuki wrote:
KuroNekko wrote: Hence, I think it makes a great used vehicle for a bargain price, but it really can't compete with new cars out now.
eh...I'd still by a new one, right now, over anything new out there today for the same money. Hence why we see discussions on here about what to replace our Kizashi with. There's really nothing out there. Anything for the same $$ is a huge step down. Nothing wrong with the 2.4 engine 'cept the fuel economy is a tad lacking, bfd. And while I've actually grown quite fond of the CVT's smoothness, I'd like to see it a bit more robust. That said, the more BS the automakers implement in attempts to 'improve' fuel economy, at this point, only causes further overall reliability issues and grief down the road IMHO.
I agree, in 5-6 years I have not seen another car that is comparable on all points. High tech does not equate to the overall value we got with the Kizashi. I'll take older proven tech and avg fuel economy over any of the fancy gadgets they are pushing now. Unfortunately the day will come when a replacement is necessary and I know I will be disappointed in some way.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
KuroNekko

No doubt that the Kizashi is a unique vehicle. I think Suzuki did make a stellar car, especially considering that it was an all-new first generation product for them. It combined the driving dynamics of a vehicle like a Mazda6 with the all-weather ability and safety of a Subaru Legacy. It even offered special features like a 6 speed manual in the higher trims which is very rare these days for anything but a sports car. I think the size was right too given it's noticeably bigger and more comfortable than a compact car, but not unnecessarily elongated like many midsize cars these days. It stayed true to more traditional Japanese midsize proportions which some people prefer.

However, I know you guys are loyalists and that's respectable but I find it hard to get past the age of the vehicle when comparing to what's out there now. For example, my buddy drives a 2015 Subaru Legacy and he states that he gets about 27 MPG in the city and about 37 on the highway by his own calculations. Keep in mind this a direct rival to the Kizashi and even has AWD standard. That's an astonishing near 7 MPG better than my Kizashi which is even a manual 2WD. I'm averaging about 23 MPG in mixed driving of city traffic and highway driving. His city MPG is closer to my highway MPG unless I can cruise for hours straight at 65 MPH. It's quite impressive given his Legacy is larger, has permanent AWD, and even has a larger engine.
Also keep in mind that the Legacy is rather reputable in reliability and despite having a CVT, Subaru's Lineartronic CVTs are considerably more reliable than JATCO CVTs in the Kizashis.
While I suspect the Kizashi is more fun to drive, it's still hard to overlook the newer competition's impressive specs. Like I stated before, there are V6 and powerful turbo 4 banger vehicles with AWD that get similar fuel efficiency to the Kizashi.

Even Suzuki was aiming for a better powertrain for the Kizashi and was hoping VW would supply them with engines for the Kizashi to be more powerful, yet efficient like a 1.8T or 2.0T. Had the Kizashi succeeded in sales, Suzuki would have without a doubt also invested in a hybrid model given they hinted at it with their Kizashi EcoCharge hybrid concept. However, given what happened with the VW fallout and the lackluster sales, the Kizashi was stuck with just an ancient N/A four banger which was something even Suzuki themselves wanted to avoid. Not that the Suzuki J24B engine is bad, but even by 2012, it was clearly showing its age compared to rivals.

Another thing is the sense of compromise I feel. I feel like I gave up AWD to row my own gears. As a former weekend offroader and outdoor enthusiast, it bothers me more than it should. I recall going to California a few years back for a camping trip with my buddies in the high desert and we took my brother's Legacy wagon and my friend's Outback. Those cars got us to a campsite the Kizashi wouldn't have made it to. Given I used to drive my brother's Legacy before it was his, that vehicle gets Kizashi-like fuel efficiency despite being a model year 2002 vehicle with AWD and an automatic trans.

I'm also fascinated by the new technology that's out and I'm not hesitant of it like some of you may be. A vehicle that can be super-efficient for short-range daily commutes while offering AWD and ground clearance for weekend adventures really appeals to me. For hybrids and PHEVs, I wouldn't really care to stick with manuals if electric motors are driving the wheels. Electric motors make transmissions largely obsolete. I feel like a PHEV SUV would get me the best of both worlds in my desire for daily efficiency yet weekend adventure ability. Obviously, this sort of vehicle isn't readily available yet for a good price, but they will be by the time I am ready to move on from my Kizashi. In fact, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV will go on sale in a few months and it's basically a vehicle that does exactly what I fantasize about. Even the new Toyota RAV4 Hybrid looks really appealing to me and the reviews are quite good for it. Heck, even the new Chevy Volt is quite impressive and attractive to me.
While I know reliability of this newer technology is a concern for some, hybrids and PHEVs have already proved to be some of the most reliable cars ever made. Toyota hybrids and the Chevy Volt's Voltec technology are extremely reliable, showing that electrified propulsion mated to engines is likely better than ICE in everything from efficiency, maintenance, to even reliability. Toyota hybrids have pretty much taken over some cities for heavy duty fleet cars like taxis. In my recent trip to Boston, I noticed that nearly all the taxis were Camry Hybrids with a few Subaru Outback cabs here and there. The Camry Hybrid and Prius are also popular taxis here in DC.
The thing is all I just mentioned was the desirability of one category of cars (hybrids). Start talking about cars like the Miata, WRX, Mustang, etc. and then it opens a whole other door of desirability.

Basically, I'm very happy with my Kizashi and think it's an amazing value, but if I was in the new car market, I wouldn't consider it as a new car. At this point, I think it makes an excellent used car if you find it for a great deal. It's how I got behind the wheel of my Kizashi and have absolutely no regrets. However, by the time I am ready to move on from my Kizashi, I know the ideal type of vehicle will be attainable by technology and price so I can't get myself to technologically regress to something like the Kizashi again, as good as it is. All that being said, I'm in no hurry to part with my Kizashi and see myself driving it for quite some time.
Woodie

Ronzuki wrote:eh...I'd still by a new one, right now, over anything new out there today for the same money. Hence why we see discussions on here about what to replace our Kizashis with. There's really nothing out there. Anything for the same $$ is a huge step down. Nothing wrong with the 2.4 engine 'cept the fuel economy is a tad lacking, bfd. And while I've actually grown quite fond of the CVT's smoothness, I'd like to see it a bit more robust. That said, the more BS the automakers implement in attempts to 'improve' fuel economy, at this point, only causes further overall reliability issues and grief down the road IMHO.
I'm with you Ronzuki. I'll have the proven reliability of a Suzuki over a long list of possible features which add weight and complexity. Obviously we all have our little niche of personal desires, but it completely escapes me why anyone would want AWD, hybrid, or an automatic transmission. The CVT is even worse than an automatic, bordering on criminal. I went and test drove a CVT because the manuals were so hard to find and before I had gotten around the block I was nauseous. Could not abide a car which acted in such a way, especially considering the fact that they're using them because they provide a better EPA mileage rating but in real life use, they give less mileage.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

Just curious, but what are you guys planning to do after the Kizashi? Given these cars are quite reliable and durable, your current ones will probably last you as long as you'd want to own it. However, by that time, most other Kizashis available in the US will be very high mileage too making another Kizashi to replace yours rather unrealistic. Woodie, you're one whose driven Suzukis for decades so I'm curious as to what other brand or car interests you given a new Suzuki product is no longer available to you.
WESHOOT2

I'm sorry, but even here at my dealership where we also offer BMW and M-B, there is NOTHING that compares (3-series; C-series)

UNLESS

you think spending twice as much for 'newer' and --okay, way-- better acceleration is 'value'.

Legacy = turd.
:mrgreen:

Did I mention I love my second Kizashi even more?
FrankoLaMoya

I will probably go with an Acura or Infiniti later down the road unless I like the future WRX model.

I love my Kizashi...I understand it uses old technology and the gas mileage is not the greatest...but I do not care about that. It probably cost me $100-150 more of gas per year. I prefer paying that than driving a car I don't really like. Yes not a lot of power...but I do care about power. I care about handling, look and comfort and the Kizashi is awesome in those areas.
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote:Just curious, but what are you guys planning to do after the Kizashi?
I honestly don't have a clue...really. Nothing is going to hold a candle to the Kiz even 5 years from now. It should be no surprise to anyone here that I despise all the tech crap that's in a modern automobile's cockpit.

I'm in a Chrysler 200 right at the moment (because the Heep's at the stealer for a growing list of BS problems it shouldn't have at 11k miles). The 200's dash looks like something out of a video game starring back at me. Buttons and knobs everywhere on top of the gotta have touch screen. There's no way to use muscle memory to land your hand/fingers on the correct control without taking your eyes off the road to find what you're after. Not a big fan of super-bright backlighting, neon-blue or any other. I turn it down...and the car thinks I want to be blinded and turns it back up when it senses the sun's up. Then, just to really piss me off, the dimmer ctrl is non-responsive, nice. :facepalm: Maybe I oughta read a manual to try and find out what the tweeny-something thought I had in mind for the operation of such a simple device.

I will say, it rides the way I like a car to ride, stiffer and responsive...sporty and the thing handles pretty darn well, rather balanced, w/ the gutless 4-banger up front. It's got 15,7xx miles on the screen (no longer can it be referred to as 'the clock'). The 8spd trans...well...let's just say they had to take some $$ out of something in order to pay for all the wonderful tech somehow. Nice leather interior, better than the Kiz's, and it has paddle shifters on the wheel that don't react as they do in the Kiz...shifts when it wants, as opposed to when I command it to.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)