The Kizzy keeps getting reviewed

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Just curious, but what are you guys planning to do after the Kizashi?
I honestly don't have a clue...really. Nothing is going to hold a candle to the Kiz even 5 years from now. It should be no surprise to anyone here that I despise all the tech crap that's in a modern automobile's cockpit.

I'm in a Chrysler 200 right at the moment (because the Heep's at the stealer for a growing list of BS problems it shouldn't have at 11k miles). The 200's dash looks like something out of a video game starring back at me. Buttons and knobs everywhere on top of the gotta have touch screen. There's no way to use muscle memory to land your hand/fingers on the correct control without taking your eyes off the road to find what you're after. Not a big fan of super-bright backlighting, neon-blue or any other. I turn it down...and the car thinks I want to be blinded and turns it back up when it senses the sun's up. Then, just to really piss me off, the dimmer ctrl is non-responsive, nice. :facepalm: Maybe I oughta read a manual to try and find out what the tweeny-something thought I had in mind for the operation of such a simple device.

I will say, it rides the way I like a car to ride, stiffer and responsive...sporty and the thing handles pretty darn well, rather balanced, w/ the gutless 4-banger up front. It's got 15,7xx miles on the screen (no longer can it be referred to as 'the clock'). The 8spd trans...well...let's just say they had to take some $$ out of something in order to pay for all the wonderful tech somehow. Nice leather interior, better than the Kiz's, and it has paddle shifters on the wheel that don't react as they do in the Kiz...shifts when it wants, as opposed to when I command it to.
I had a Chrysler 200 for a few days as a rental too when my Kizashi was in the shop for a cosmetic repair. Overall, it was decent. Seats were very comfy which I find in just about every Jeep, Chrysler, and Dodge product my boney ass has sat in. The ride was quite nice too, similar to the Ford Fusion I had a while back. Handling was decent, but nowhere like the Kizashi's. The Kizashi feels much more planted and the road feedback is more visceral though harsher. I think these larger domestics make good highway cruisers, but not really the best for the curves in the segment. The transmission has a bunch of cogs as you noted so the common complaint with this car is gear-hunting. I noticed some of that too when I drove it but it wasn't as bad as reviewers made it out to be. Perhaps I felt this way because I've been driving manuals for several years so I lost touch of what a "good" automatic would shift like compared to a gear-hunting one.

I do want to note however that the Chrysler 200 is going the way of the Kizashi as in it's headed for a death sooner than expected. FCA's CEO announced that FCA will soon be discontinuing the 200 and the Dodge Dart. The Durango is also going away too. It really looks like all he cares about is Jeep.

Ron, sorry to hear your Jeep is turning into a Heep like the last one.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: The transmission has a bunch of cogs as you noted so the common complaint with this car is gear-hunting. I noticed some of that too when I drove it but it wasn't as bad as reviewers made it out to be. Perhaps I felt this way because I've been driving manuals for several years so I lost touch of what a "good" automatic would shift like compared to a gear-hunting one.
Not so much gear hunting that I noticed as much as the feel, and sound, of the shifts when they occur... like when a pair of gears have too much slop in the mesh and a sudden load is applied, kinda rattles.
KuroNekko wrote:Ron, sorry to hear your Jeep is turning into a Heep like the last one.
It's my last that's for certain. I just wish SOMEBODY else (hello? Toyota?) would make a similar utilitarian vehicle w/o all the bells/whistles and tech. Whatever, after the stealer gets done tearing it apart and screwing it up further, if it's not right, I may end up dumping it for a nice Japanese built something or other for the daughter when she finishes grad school in the spring. Everyone looks at it now and thinks it's the catzass...I won't lose much, if any. Her 01 Alero H.S./college car required too much $$ to pass state inspection (plus water pump was also leaking pretty bad) when I it came back from CT in December. Sold it recently as a "mechanic's special". What POS, glad to be rid of that thing.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:
It's my last that's for certain. I just wish SOMEBODY else (hello? Toyota?) would make a similar utilitarian vehicle w/o all the bells/whistles and tech. Whatever, after the stealer gets done tearing it apart and screwing it up further, if it's not right, I may end up dumping it for a nice Japanese built something or other for the daughter when she finishes grad school in the spring.
Sadly, the market is so small for a vehicle like this and the Wrangler is pretty much alone on its throne now. I'd say the closest thing would be the Toyota FJ Cruiser but that's no longer being made. I guess if you hurry, you may still find a new one on the lot. However, there are compromises with it like the styling and visibility but offroad ability and reliability are said to be top-notch.
Another option would be the 4Runner. It's quite big and meaty these days but it's a solid SUV with legendary reliability. These can get pricey but like the Wrangler, both the FJ and the 4Runner have strong resale value. Both are also made in Japan unlike many Toyotas these days.

Personally, if I was in the market, I'd consider a used Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. I'm always looking for a good deal and the Toyotas are just too strong in resale value making them pricey as used cars. The Nissan doesn't have that price premium though it's not as good as the Toyotas. The offroad ability isn't at Wrangler levels but will still outperform 95% of SUVs offroad. I like the Pro-4X trim in particular given the offroad bits like a locking rear diff, Bilstein shocks, roof-mounted offroad lights, and a few others. I also love how these are offered in both auto and manual. I also really like the looks of the Xterra and prefer it over any SUV, personally.
While the Xterra is made in the USA and was never sold in Japan, it still has some pretty good reliability. Probably not 4Runner level but much better than Jeep. Sadly, like the FJ Cruiser, the Xterra ended production so brand new ones aren't long for this world either.

While talking about Nissan, it was announced recently that Nissan would finally retire the current ancient Armada and replace it with a vehicle based on the overseas Nissan Patrol. This is a pretty serious SUV that's trusted much like the Toyota Land Cruiser in remote and hostile regions around the world. However, it's a behemoth like the LC and it's actually related to the Infiniti QX80. It's only available with a V8.

There is also Suzuki but as you certainly know, you'll have to find a used one and I find that locating a decent one is nearly impossible. They also don't have the offroad bits or power like the more serious FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Xterra, and Wrangler though they are more offroad-worthy than any CUV. I sometimes browse for Grand Vitaras with 4x4 on Craigslist as I fantasize about an offroad project car but never find anything too appealing. I'm seeing quite a few Samurais but they are usually overpriced for their condition.

I'd like to return to SUVs after the Kizashi but want something fuel efficient to be a daily commuter. This is why I'm a big fan of hybrid systems. Mitsubishi is promising the Outlander PHEV this year and then PHEV tech in SUVs henceforth, including a new Montero in a few years. I expect this to be a serious SUV but with PHEV tech. Given they have the Outlander, they have no excuse to emasculate it into a soft CUV like what Nissan sadly did to the Pathfinder. I know Mitsubishi is very unpopular these days, but I like them. I see many 90's Montero Sports on the road meaning they have the reliability and longevity to go well into high mileage. These were also pretty serious 4x4s though didn't enjoy the reputation of Toyotas. If Mitsu can get their shit together and offer some well-engineered and desirable vehicles again, I'd actually be interested. Call me easily impressed, but I find the following video quite impressive for a hybrid CUV. This thing can take me to work and back without burning much, if any, gasoline at all yet scale up a 45 degree incline backwards with the help of the electric torque (@2:25 in the video).

BLyons

I have no idea what I'll do after my Kiz. I want AWD, luxury options, and more power. I'm probably 5 years away, so maybe the vehicle I'd want isn't even out yet, or maybe I'll price myself into an S3 by then. I don't like the last 2 generations of Legacy's, so those are out.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Woodie

KuroNekko wrote:Just curious, but what are you guys planning to do after the Kizashi?
I honestly don't know, it's a conundrum. I've been casually looking and I'm appalled at the price of anything that interests me, the Kizashi has spoiled me a bit, it's by far the nicest car I've ever driven. Maybe I'll step back down the ladder a bit and get a smaller car, I drove Metros for twenty years. The Kizashi only has 34K miles on it, so I could just hold onto that forever, it'll probably go 'til 2020.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: While talking about Nissan, it was announced recently that Nissan would finally retire the current ancient Armada and replace it with a vehicle based on the overseas Nissan Patrol. This is a pretty serious SUV that's trusted much like the Toyota Land Cruiser in remote and hostile regions around the world. However, it's a behemoth like the LC and it's actually related to the Infiniti QX80. It's only available with a V8.
Looked at Armada and LC pricing before buying the Heep. Not even remotely interested in the price tags associated with any of those. Besides, I like my Heep's looks, size and simplicity better...just not diggin' the poor quality that continually plagues Jeep no matter who owns them. Target $$ for a electrically strippo'd utilitarian vehicle is/was 30k. Perfectly happy w/ crank windows, manual door locks no power anything. acquired the JKUWillys out the door for 32k w/o a trade-in. The only luxury item it has besides a base radio and a hard top, the A/C, failed. Go figure.

Speaking of the Heep, seems the stealer has made all the repairs sans the TCM un-flash (which they can't put back to factory) and providing me with a determination of where all the missing coolant went. They claim no issue after a pressure check. Never-mind I had marked the bottle, cold, a month after I bought it and now it's about 5" below that mark, cold. Won't know if the A/C is fully functional after replacing the TXV (or H-valve as they refer to it) until summer time. Who knows if the compressor is now compromised (collateral damage) or the charge is wrong, or, they introduced a leak. At least it isn't hissing and gurgling up a storm in defrost any longer, so there's that. Damp front diff cover re-sealed, again, and re-painted it from when they buggered it all up during last attempt to stop it from leaking. Freedom top (hard-top) front removable panel seals all replaced...we'll see if that stops it from raining all over the stereo and the driver's door handle/lock next down-pour.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

BLyons wrote:I have no idea what I'll do after my Kiz. I want AWD, luxury options, and more power. I'm probably 5 years away, so maybe the vehicle I'd want isn't even out yet, or maybe I'll price myself into an S3 by then. I don't like the last 2 generations of Legacy's, so those are out.
The Audi S3 is very nice, but like many German luxury cars, rather overpriced. The VW Golf R is essentially the same vehicle in a hatch body. Rumor is that Audi is planning to bring the RS3 to the US in the near future. As much as I'd like these cars, the idea of owning one out of warranty is terrifying. While a serious downgrade in refinement and luxury, you can get a similar kind of car with the WRX in that it's AWD, turbo, but you can row your own gears which the US market S3 doesn't allow (it's only a DCT in the US). I'd also trust a 'Rex far more out of warranty. A lot of reviewers have stated that the S3 is like a WRX STI that grew up and matured.
Woodie wrote: I honestly don't know, it's a conundrum. I've been casually looking and I'm appalled at the price of anything that interests me, the Kizashi has spoiled me a bit, it's by far the nicest car I've ever driven. Maybe I'll step back down the ladder a bit and get a smaller car, I drove Metros for twenty years. The Kizashi only has 34K miles on it, so I could just hold onto that forever, it'll probably go 'til 2020.
Correct me if I'm way off, but from what I can decipher from your preferences in cars, I get the sense that a Mazda Miata would be good for you. It's small which is something you're fond of given you like Metros. It's very lightweight (~2300 lbs) and is a serious driver's car. While not powerful with only a longitudinal 2.0 liter making 155 HP, you have to consider the power-to-weight ratio. Even with only 155 HP, this thing propels from 0 to 60 MPH in under 6.5 seconds (Car and Driver did it in 5.9) while getting up to 34 MPG highway (all manual trans specs).
You don't care for AWD so this small RWD should please and it's got one of the very best manual gear boxes in the industry. It's also not outrageously overpriced on the used market like Toyotas and Hondas are. It's got Japanese build quality (these are made in Mazda's hometown of Hiroshima) and reliability that was strong even when Ford had their hand in Mazda. I credit the fact that it used minimal Ford-sourced parts for that (Nearly all the problematic parts on my former Mazda3 had "FoMoCo" stamped on it). Given you're an enthusiast, you can even get the Club version that has the Limited Slip Differential and the Bilstein shocks. However, many reviewers say even the base model is very good and the versions with the extra performance bits are really for the hardcore track-types.
I checked out the 2016 Miata at the DC Auto Show last month and nearly had to wear a bib to catch all the drool. It's a significant improvement on the inside from the previous models. The materials are high quality and just looks and feels right. Sure, everything is small, but that's the point. Trunk space is very small, but if you're not lugging a full-size suitcase often, it should be sufficient. I also think the exterior is far improved in design and looks more edgy to match its driving characteristics. I actually really like this car, but it's a bit too impractical for me as an only car given my other interests. I'd love to pick one up used one day as a weekend roadster.
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote: Speaking of the Heep, seems the stealer has made all the repairs sans the TCM un-flash (which they can't put back to factory) and providing me with a determination of where all the missing coolant went. They claim no issue after a pressure check. Never-mind I had marked the bottle, cold, a month after I bought it and now it's about 5" below that mark, cold. Won't know if the A/C is fully functional after replacing the TXV (or H-valve as they refer to it) until summer time. Who knows if the compressor is now compromised (collateral damage) or the charge is wrong, or, they introduced a leak. At least it isn't hissing and gurgling up a storm in defrost any longer, so there's that. Damp front diff cover re-sealed, again, and re-painted it from when they buggered it all up during last attempt to stop it from leaking. Freedom top (hard-top) front removable panel seals all replaced...we'll see if that stops it from raining all over the stereo and the driver's door handle/lock next down-pour.
That's the thing about Jeeps and it keeps me very wary. I really admire the offroad prowess and unique characteristics of the Wrangler, but the quality control is just not there and sounds like it's not improving. I think it would be less important if I had it as a beater to offroad on the weekends, but I'm not in a place right now to have something like that. As a daily driver, the Wrangler has just too many negatives for me to consider it despite my longing to get back on the trails. This is why I'm interested in hybrid CUVs. I want something that can pretend to be a quasi-offroader when I want to but is still safe, efficient, quiet, reliable, and practical for daily driving. While something like the RAV4 Hybrid or Outlander PHEV can't get on the rocky trails like a Wrangler, they will still get no lower than 30 MPG even in atrocious city traffic while being ultra-reliable.
Triggerhappy

I've been spoiled by the reliability and how much car you get for your money with the Kizashi. My car is closing in on 100,000 miles. Only had to replaced the battery, tires, filters, fluids, wipers, and bulbs. Still on the original brake pads and rotors. My dad just bought a RAV4 XLE and the interior isn't as nice as the Kizashi. It also doesn't come with power driver's seat and it stickers for $29,000. Many midsized cars have poor interior materials unless you get the top of the line trim. I want my next car to have adaptive cruise control. I was thinking about the Tesla Model 3 but they will build the most expensive ones first before the $7,500 tax credit expires.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:Keep in mind that the Kizashi debuted in 2009 and hasn't changed since. It's on powertrain technology from several years ago. Hence, I think it makes a great used vehicle for a bargain price, but it really can't compete with new cars out now.
Ironically I think this is the Kizashi's biggest strength. Simple, reliable and tried and tested technology makes the Kizashi a very owner friendly car. It might not be the most fuel efficient but when you end up spending money elsewhere on the car, the savings quickly disappear.