Do's and don'ts about replacing rims?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
a98gsxr

I'm tired of going through a set of tires every 10k miles. I want to change my 18" rims to 16" rims.
Has anybody done this before? Will it effect the handling, speedometer, etc...?
Will they bolt right on or would the hubs need changed?

2011 Kizashi Sport GTS AWD

Thanks in advance

Chuck
fasteddie

might be clearance issues with the brake calipers, for starters . . .
KuroNekko

The problem isn't the wheel size. It's your alignment and maybe choice of tires. I have factory 18 inch wheels. I have about 30,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires and they are wearing perfectly. I resolved the Kizashi factory alignment issue years ago and things have been fine ever since.

And yes, changing the wheel size from factory specs will affect handling and speed/odometer readings.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
a98gsxr

Thats great! Do tell about the factory alignment issue. It's the first time I heard of it. Is it a easy/costly fix?

Thanks

Chuck
KuroNekko

a98gsxr wrote:Thats great! Do tell about the factory alignment issue. It's the first time I heard of it. Is it a easy/costly fix?

Thanks

Chuck
Every time you get new tires, you should get your alignment done. Make sure the shop is using the revised alignment specs. They should automatically have updates to revised specs but you'll want to confirm. The link below is a lengthy thread about the Kizashi alignment issue. The very first post includes a .PDF you can download that is a Suzuki Technical Service Bulletin about the revised alignment specifications.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1248
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Onikarge

a98gsxr wrote:I'm tired of going through a set of tires every 10k miles. I want to change my 18" rims to 16" rims.
Has anybody done this before? Will it effect the handling, speedometer, etc...?
Will they bolt right on or would the hubs need changed?
2011 Kizashi Sport GTS AWD
Thanks in advance
Chuck
I did a 17" to 15" rims with mi wife´s car (and european hatchback) and this is my experience:

PROS
+ Cheaper tires with longer life, of course.
+ Mileage improved.
+ Performance, I mean real and faster acceleration: forget air filters and marketing toys.
+ Smoother ride.

CONS:
- Be forewarned that at first you will dislike the final look, and it takes a few months to get accustomed to that lighter rims even if your KZ has been lowered previously with shorter springs (which is highly recommended with any size tire reduction).
- You will feel a less poised driving.

I changed that rims, in that car, for fuel economy: the look was spoiled for me but it´s not so bad when you realize the "powertrain reset" and check how a simple size tire change affects performance and economy.

At the moment I save my KZ from that mod cause I really love the 18" rims, dont want more lowerings and I have never seen a KZ with nice 16" rims, if anyone has a sample please share it.
Sentenced1979

It doesen't have to have an effect on the speedo and odo. Make sure you adjust the tire profile too if you go for smaller rims.

I use the factory 235/45/18 for summer and bought 215/55/17 for winter. They ultimately have the "same size".
With the original wheels, say that I'm driving 100km/h. With the winter tires it's 99.94km/h. The difference in size was 0.4mm.

But yes, handling gets "spongier" with more rubber. Depends on how you drive the car and what you want out of it. :-)
I burn the gas, Prius owners save.

2011, Suzuki Kizashi SLS.
Sentenced1979

Obviously Suzuki has thought about it too. This tag can be found in my car.

16 inch rims are included here.

Sorry for the blurry picture.
Attachments
_20170405_023417.JPG
_20170405_023417.JPG (288.57 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
I burn the gas, Prius owners save.

2011, Suzuki Kizashi SLS.
WESHOOT2

On my '12 AWD GTS I went from the stock 18"s to lightweight Enkei 17"X7.5" mounting 225/50 R17 tires.

Incredibly worth it. No real issues, except where I drive I need ALL the ground clearance I can get (the change dropped the car less than .5").