Automatic lights.

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Sentenced1979

I live in a place where cars have to have lights on during the day, as well as night, obviously.
DRLs are ok, but the rear lights are turned off when having DRL on.

Anyway, my question is, is it possible to bypass the automatic headlights?
When I start the car, my headlights turn on, if I don't turn the switch to parking light.
I would like it to be dark, when the switch is in off position.
I asked my shop, but apparently it wasn't an easy task, according to them.

I've had two Subarus, both with the function I wanted.

I guess it's a control thing.

Thanks!
I burn the gas, Prius owners save.

2011, Suzuki Kizashi SLS.
Sentenced1979

Maybe this is in the wrong place. Moddies, feel free to move topic to the correct place, if you want.

BLyons

Are your headlights turning on, or the DRLs (high beam bulbs) are on? There is a fairly simple way to disable the DRLs if that's what you want and there's a guide in the DIY section. I'm not sure if you're US based or not though, so maybe your car has a different set up than Off/Auto/Parking/On for the headlight switch? For me, it was only the DRLs that were on in the off position, so I disabled those with the guide.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Sentenced1979

I'm in Northern Europe :-)

I have three "settings" on the switch. Auto/parking/on.
I would like the whole car to go dark, when turned to auto. All exterior running lights.

The only difference between auto and on is that, in on position, I can light the fog lights.
All lights are on in auto and on position. Front and rear.

Thanks for the tip, friend.

BLyons

Yeah, I can't really help you out with that one then. Interesting that you can't turn on the fog lights in auto mode, the US cars are able to do that, as long as it's dark enough for the headlights to turn on.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
KuroNekko

So do you actually have Daytime Running Lights? These are the high beam bulbs running on a lower wattage with pulsed width modulation. The best way to tell if you have them is to have the headlight switch set to OFF but turn on the car. When you lower the hand brake, the DRLs will turn on. This is how the North American DRLs work in the Kizashi.

As for the Automatic mode, I don't have these in my car so I can't comment from experience but it sounds like your set-up is different than North America. If it's law that cars must always have their headlights on, then it makes sense that Suzuki configured Kizashis there to turn on their headlights in AUTO mode. This means it's not getting input from photosensors like North American models which have light conditions activate the headlights in AUTO. If I am correct about this configuration in your locale, then the main difference between ON and AUTO is that AUTO allows the lights to turn off when the car is turned off. ON should keep them on regardless of the ignition mode.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Sentenced1979

Park
Park
2017-05-13-01-43-19.jpg (128.99 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
Update on this.

I don't know where I got "auto" from. The arm clearly reads off.

Bad lighting to take light pictures.

Took with the switch off, low beam is on.
Park and park/fog.
On setting gives the same as off.

You are correct, KuroNekko, switching ON, turns the lights on, regardless of ignition.
Can you go totally dark, no lights on?
If so, evidently it can be done. I'll do some more digging.

I've had two different models of Subaru, Impreza GT and an Outback. Both could turn lights OFF when set in that position.
Attachments
Park/Fog
Park/Fog
2017-05-13-01-44-10.jpg (184.64 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
Off
Off
2017-05-13-01-41-13.jpg (150.77 KiB) Viewed 7035 times

KuroNekko

It's really hard to say given each market has different lighting settings, it seems. In the US and Canada, we have Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) that automatically come on when the engine is on and the hand brake is lowered. It's on unless the headlights are turned on. Basically, a front light bulb is always on. To defeat this, the modification is to bend a pin or two in the DRL module for the headlight wiring.

Australia seems to have a different set-up and from what I've seen in photos, actually different headlights. They can apparently run the fogs lights in addition to the high beams. You can't in the US. In fact, you can't even activate the fog lights without the low beams being on. Given you can do that in your Euro-spec model, it shows that you have different headlight wiring than others in other markets. If you have DRLs that use the high beam bulbs, disabling them may be similar to the technique for US and Canadian models. The write-up is below:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3012
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)