New Tires (3rd set)

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

An update:
My sentiments remain largely the same. These tires are a great performance value with the trade-off of more NHV. If you desire a more comfortable and quiet ride for casual driving and cruising, there are better tires out there for that. You'll likely be more satisfied with expensive UHP or Grand Touring tires. However, if you like spirited driving and want the rubber to stick at a reasonable price, these are great. Even in very wet conditions (tons of rain here in CA for the last month), these tires grip very confidently in all measures.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Forgot you had put on new sneakers. Thanks for the update
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

So an update to conclude this thread pertaining to the Falken Ziex ZE950:

At almost exactly four years with the tires, they will be replaced soon because they are worn out and close to the tread wear indicators. I also managed to get an industrial staple stuck on a side-facing tread of a tire thus it's leaking slowly, losing about 10 PSI in 3 days. I won't bother fixing it as I'm essentially waiting for the next time Costco puts a rebate on Michelins to get all new tires, which should be in a matter of several days or so.

The Falken Ziex ZE950 were decent tires that provided excellent grip at the cost of NHV. They weren't as quiet and smooth as more expensive tires like the OE Dunlops or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 but offered a good performance value. I don't really remember the mileage of my vehicle (unless it's posted somewhere) when I got the Ziex's but I think I got at least 40,000 miles out of them with even tire wear. They were a good one for me to try out to experience a lower cost performance tire to see the value proposition. I come away from it thinking it's a good tire for someone who wants performance grip but is price sensitive and is willing to compromise on refinement like noise and harshness. However, I think I'll be going back to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S because they are readily available at Costco and a superior tire. It makes sense given they will cost about twice as much per tire but I'm at a point now where I value refinement in the ride quality but still want that extra grip that UHP tires offer over Grand Touring types. My past experience with the Pilot Sport A/S were great other than the chunking at the end of its service life. However, the series is now in another generation (3 vs. 4) with different material formulation so hopefully it will not occur again. I also considered shopping around on Tirerack.com or other places but I really need convenience these days and it's hard to beat Costco for that. I looked into the Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS+ UHP tires Costco also offers but the pro reviews favor the Michelins and the price difference is nominal. I'll report with what actually gets mounted on the Kizashi when the time comes (soon).
KlutzNinja

Do you have a Discount/America's Tire location near you, Kuro? AAA offers $10 off per tire on tires with a high rating, when you buy from those places. I’m sure the Michelins you’re eying qualify. They have the same prices as TireRack, and a decent installation rate. They're also a TR installer. I can't believe you went to a Pep Boys back then :lol:. I have one within walking distance from work, but their quality is so spotty that I'd never seriously consider them. I'm sure they do fine most of the time, but the times they do bungle something... yikes.

Also, I have to bring up the Continentals as always, lol, but Conti currently has a $70 rebate for their weather/winter-ready tires, which includes their UHP-AS tires, the ExtremeContact 06 (Plus) line. They're cheaper than Michelins, and probably Goodyears, Bridgestones, and most other UHP-AS tires, but their quality and performance is just as good in at least most cases. $110 for the rebate and AAA offer isn't too shabby. I'm hoping the holidays bring some good deals, too.

I still have yet to buy my own set to replace my Mazda's OEM Dunlops, but I will keep mentioning the Contis lol. Also, if any Kizashi owners here have installed these tires, I'm curious as to how they've been for you. Seems like this forum is big on Michelins, which is a fine tire brand, but also rather pricey.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

KlutzNinja wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:06 am Do you have a Discount/America's Tire location near you, Kuro? AAA offers $10 off per tire on tires with a high rating, when you buy from those places. I’m sure the Michelins you’re eying qualify. They have the same prices as TireRack, and a decent installation rate. They're also a TR installer. I can't believe you went to a Pep Boys back then :lol:. I have one within walking distance from work, but their quality is so spotty that I'd never seriously consider them. I'm sure they do fine most of the time, but the times they do bungle something... yikes.

Also, I have to bring up the Continentals as always, lol, but Conti currently has a $70 rebate for their weather/winter-ready tires, which includes their UHP-AS tires, the ExtremeContact 06 (Plus) line. They're cheaper than Michelins, and probably Goodyears, Bridgestones, and most other UHP-AS tires, but their quality and performance is just as good in at least most cases. $110 for the rebate and AAA offer isn't too shabby. I'm hoping the holidays bring some good deals, too.

I still have yet to buy my own set to replace my Mazda's OEM Dunlops, but I will keep mentioning the Contis lol. Also, if any Kizashi owners here have installed these tires, I'm curious as to how they've been for you. Seems like this forum is big on Michelins, which is a fine tire brand, but also rather pricey.
I went for the Falkens at Pep Boys due to the great deal on them and the fact that the tires were well-regarded budget performance tires. My office at the time was close by to the Pep Boys who actually did a fine job installing the tires and aligning my wheels. If anything to complain about, they left some of that tire mounting grease on the wheels at the rim. The tire shop that installed my prior Michelins left grease/dirt on my headliner in comparison. Though I have yet to get tires from Costco for the Kizashi, I've only had good experiences with Costco's tire dept for tires on other cars.

I've bought tires at TireRack.com in the past for my Mazda3. I'd personally only do it again if I was very keen on a specific tire and they had a great price on them. Otherwise, I didn't recall it being all that worthwhile to have the tires shipped to me or a shop and independently arranging installation. I think it's a good option if one also has a preferred shop/mechanic. I'm going with Costco this time for the convenience and the warranty/puncture repair plus the fact that they carry the tire I'm interested in anyway. Their instant rebate is also $150 with four tire installation.
KuroNekko

The worn out Falkens were replaced yesterday with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires. I shopped around for the same and comparable tires from other shops but couldn't find a price that undercut Costco for total cost (including installation and fees). The Kizashi immediately feels more responsive in corners but that could just be the new tire grip vs. the old. This will be the fourth set of tires on the Kizashi, which currently has just under 121,000 miles on the odometer.
KlutzNinja

KuroNekko wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 pm The worn out Falkens were replaced yesterday with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires. I shopped around for the same and comparable tires from other shops but couldn't find a price that undercut Costco for total cost (including installation and fees). The Kizashi immediately feels more responsive in corners but that could just be the new tire grip vs. the old. This will be the fourth set of tires on the Kizashi, which currently has just under 121,000 miles on the odometer.
How’s road noise so far?
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

KlutzNinja wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:09 am
KuroNekko wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 pm The worn out Falkens were replaced yesterday with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires. I shopped around for the same and comparable tires from other shops but couldn't find a price that undercut Costco for total cost (including installation and fees). The Kizashi immediately feels more responsive in corners but that could just be the new tire grip vs. the old. This will be the fourth set of tires on the Kizashi, which currently has just under 121,000 miles on the odometer.
How’s road noise so far?
It's hard to say definitively right now but they sound a bit quieter, I think. That being said, they aren't like Touring tires like the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 on other cars, which I find very quiet and smooth but at the cost of grip in more demanding conditions. However, the ride quality has improved and certainly the traction with the new Michelins. Of course, it's hard to compare tires when you can't drive them new on the same car around the same time for a most valid comparison.

Another interesting thing I noticed about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires is that they are XL (Extra Load) rated. None of the other tires I compared with had this rating. I looked into it and apparently XL rated tires have reinforcement to perform at heavier weight loads thus are generally more durable tires. The Pilot Sports also have a higher speed rating than most other tires I've looked at for the Kizashi. While likely unnecessary for most use on a sedan like the Kizashi, it's interesting to see this rating on the tire for the 235/45/R18 size.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:46 amAnother interesting thing I noticed about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires is that they are XL (Extra Load) rated. None of the other tires I compared with had this rating. I looked into it and apparently XL rated tires have reinforcement to perform at heavier weight loads thus are generally more durable tires. The Pilot Sports also have a higher speed rating than most other tires I've looked at for the Kizashi. While likely unnecessary for most use on a sedan like the Kizashi, it's interesting to see this rating on the tire for the 235/45/R18 size.
Hey Kuro,

Excellent choice with the AS4s! I'm debating between those or the new Conti DWS06+ for the E90. I'm unlikely to hit either tire's performance ceilings so I'm leaning towards the latter for better NVH (based on TireRack testing: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=280).

On the topic of load ratings, you're technically supposed to adjust tire pressures on XL tires to match the same load as the manufacturer's spec (at 38 PSI, 1477 lbs for P215/60R16 94H and P235/45R18 94V; 1433 lbs for P215/55R17 93V). Interesting, the factory spec tires' load maxes out at 35 PSI but Suzuki specifies the higher 38 PSI for increased fuel economy I assume. BMW did something similar, where the recommended pressures on early model years were very close to the vehicle's GAWR, but they increased overtime with no other changes to the vehicle. When I decreased my tire pressures to match the early model years, I saw improved comfort and grip, but also a decrease in fuel economy.

Anyway, for 235/45R18 98Y XL, you could run 36/36 PSI (1466 lb rating) to match what was specified, or you could try 32/32 PSI to match the Kizashi's 1323 lb GAWR and see if you like how it rides.

Here are the load inflation tables if you want to nerd out: https://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/ ... ntable.pdf
kizashiNY

I too am on my 3rd set of 215/55/17 tires in 115k, First were the stocks which lasted with rotations around 28k, second set were Cooper CS5(I believe) and they lasted an additional almost 60ish k (before my TPMS sensors grenade-d and took them out), I am now on set 3 Nankang SP-9 Cross Sport a recommendation from the tire shop and they are decent tires for the price (noise is ok, handling seems a touch looser but I'm looking into other front suspension things for why that might be, good wet and light snow traction but not great in heavy snow).