Safety Recall - Spiders round 2

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KlutzNinja

KuroNekko wrote:I don't really want to do this recall but I will given I actually drive on dirt roads from time to time and because my exhaust system has a slight rattle that I'm sure will be addressed when the tech has to remove the exhaust components for the recall work. California also apparently blocks registration renewals for vehicles with ignored outstanding recalls.

While I'm with many of you about people not messing with my car, the reality is that these cars aren't so new anymore and some issues are starting to pop up. My mindset has started to shift away from keeping the car obsessively pristine to keeping it properly serviced for reliable and worry-free operation down the line. Yeah, it definitely sucks that the quality of work depends on the tech you get.
Kuro, if I remember right, my first post on this forum was asking where you’re based, and if we have the same service center. I’m pretty sure you said the Santa Ana location, which is for the most part a commercial truck center, is closest to you? That’s where I had my recall work done last month and they only have one technician there who works exclusively on Suzuki recalls. According to the service advisor he’s done 50+ of these fuel tank replacements without any issues. If there’s one service center to have this particular recall done, it’s this one. Just keep in mind an appointment might not be available for a couple weeks. Apparently there are more Suzuki owners down here than I would have first realized, and it doesn’t help that Suzuki is constantly finding new things to recall across a lot of their vehicles :lol: . Even the service advisor joked that Suzuki has a lot of recalls.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
AirRideFan

KlutzNinja wrote:If you’re not sure where you can get the tank recall done, you can call Suzuki customer service whose number is on the recall cards. They’ll point you in the right direction. You can also look up the locations on the Suzuki auto website. Then just call one of the locations and ask if they do recall work. I would also maybe check yelp and google maps and wherever else to see what people have experienced there. Probably won’t find many reviews but it could help.
Thanks... cool cool, will do. So Jim Shorkey Mitsubishi is where I've been buying parts from, locally... and they're only about 30 mins from me, which is great- BUT, they also tried on two separate occasions for over 4 hours to simply program a new key fob (along with my other one) for me, and failed- and still charged me A LOT, and said to bring it back for a third time, and they'll TRY to get it programmed. Sooo...not TOO MUCH faith in them doing the recall and it being up to par for me.
side note: a 'remote' auto locksmith was visiting my place of work and I happened to catch him after he was done cutting a key for somebody there, and I asked if him if he could do my Kizashi fobs--- he did it in 47 seconds, and charged me $30. LOL
KlutzNinja wrote: The seat recall applies only for the bottom section, not the entire seat. So your fixed seat will be half leather and half vinyl, but if your leather is in decent shape there won’t be much of a discrepancy. It’s only between the driver seat and passenger seat where you see how different they look, if your leather has shrunken like mine and some other’s. The shrunken leather is why the seat recall is being done, I believe, because it tampers with the safety sensors beneath.
Ahhh...gotcha. I thought it was the entire passenger seat. In that case, I'll stick my orig leather seating surface passenger seat. It hasn't seemed to malfunction anyway... (if THAT is the case, would I even be "eligible" for the seat bottom replacement recall/repair?)
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

ExtremeContact DWS Tuned tires on staggered Speedlines! :o
Ecsta V720 235/40's on the OEM 18's
Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45's on Sport Edition KV5 18's <- too heavy
WinterContact 215/55's on Lexus GS 16's this winter!
AirRideFan

Ronzuki wrote:@AirRideFan, if you're south central to eastern PA your recall will likely be done by D'Ambosios Fiat in Frazer, PA. Not sure how many other ex-Zuk dealers there are in PA anymore. I know people in Allentown had vehicles towed to Frazer. ANd shot the breeze w/ a guy from Delaware that came there for service one time. There used to be a pretty large dealer in central PA, Star I think it was, up around / above State College.
Okay.. cool. Thanks Ronzuki. Yeah, says 280 miles from me. I'd be willing to drive it out and wait on it, assuming it could be done in a couple days max. Make a little stay/visit to another place, just for fun. I'd rather the RIGHT guys perform the work, than have it messed up. I want to keep my Kiz...as there is virtually NO CAR, that is overall as fun, reliable, safe, and has such a great stereo as the Kizash for what I'd be able to sell it for (probably below $4,000)...do you guys agree?
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

KlutzNinja

I’m sure a service center would perform the seat recall work whether you’ve had issues or not, as a precautionary measure.
In my case the passenger airbag beep would occur on warmer or hot days, sometimes consecutively. For some reason it would always happen after I reversed out of my driveway and then put the car into drive, and strangely, at this one point in my commute. Like always within about a hundred or so feet of the same area. I don’t know if it was a timing issue or what I drive under this little overpass and it would go off. It got real annoying on hot days, with no way to turn it off, other than put a lot of stuff in the seat and click the seatbelt lol. I’m not even sure that worked.

With your new key fob, I’m assuming you had one specifically for the Kizashi? (I.e. the one that looks identical to Nissan fobs)
Did your new fob come unlocked or was it locked and you had the key guy unlock it? I forget the fob terms but I think those are some of them. I’ve been meaning to get another fob but there aren’t many around and most seem to be locked, and I’m not sure if the lock guy in my area can unlock such an example before programming it to my car. I’ve seen in a video that the programming process is pretty simple and straightforward if you have the right tool and expertise.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Spreekid

“With your new key fob, I’m assuming you had one specifically for the Kizashi? (I.e. the one that looks identical to Nissan fobs)
Did your new fob come unlocked or was it locked and you had the key guy unlock it? I forget the fob terms but I think those are some of them. I’ve been meaning to get another fob but there aren’t many around and most seem to be locked, and I’m not sure if the lock guy in my area can unlock such an example before programming it to my car. I’ve seen in a video that the programming process is pretty simple and straightforward if you have the right tool and expertise.”

I’ve been looking into getting another fob ( can’t have too many) but I can’t find any for under $200 lol. Anyone know where I can get them cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ronzuki

WESHOOT2 wrote:I have (all too) often filled all of my Kizashis until gas runs down the fender........ZERO recalls allowed to be performed on any of them; I'm battin' 1000!
That's the camp I reside in as well...for the most part. I did have the S-belt tensioner pulley recall done on my Kiz eons ago, and, Spider fix Rev. 1. Relatively harmless 'repairs' to perform, and, the chance of the suspect OE unit S-belt tensioner failing were fairly high at the time. Shifter recalls on both the Kiz and SX4...no thanks, ain't broke, don't fix it. Same goes for this gas tank thing. Quite simply, one has to weigh out the risks vs. rewards on these recalls from a manufacturer that is no longer present on the continent and make a decision.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Ronzuki

AirRideFan wrote: BUT, they also tried on two separate occasions for over 4 hours to simply program a new key fob (along with my other one) for me, and failed- and still charged me A LOT, and said to bring it back for a third time, and they'll TRY to get it programmed. Sooo...not TOO MUCH faith in them doing the recall and it being up to par for me.
I wouldn't hold that against them...the factory trained Suzuki techs are all long gone from all of the service centers. Someone on this forum some time ago had gone to D'Ambrosios here if I recall correctly to get the steering lock debacle dealt w/ and the biggest problem was the dealer being able to get their Sukizki scanning/programming equipment fired up and updated to the point where they could actually use it properly to make the over-complicated, unnecessary, 'puter controlled non-sense in the car function as it should. Took quite a wile, but they didn't give up and finally took care of it. As I recall, they were pretty decent about the whole cost of the entire effort w/ the forum member.

It's the old use-it-or-lose it (knowledge, experience, etc.) syndrome. This is exactly why I, currently, will not have any recalls done on my cars that are not experiencing any issues, or are not broken.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
AirRideFan

Spreekid wrote: I’ve been looking into getting another fob ( can’t have too many) but I can’t find any for under $200 lol. Anyone know where I can get them cheaper?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, I have Nationwide Insurance - and they will reimburse you (up to $400) if you lose or damage your key fob- so I ordered a BRAND NEW one - and even found one of the last Silicone Key Fob covers for it, on Amazon...before they were gone (which I suspected would happen!- wish I bought TWO...even though it was like $11)

The brand new fob came unlocked and I even ordered an OEM insert for like $40, as opposed to $10 or whatever they are on eBay - since the chrome is a LITTLE nicer on the orig uncut blades. ha

If your insurance doesn't cover it, like mine did (for free- with no deductible)... then I'd say buy this before it's gone! ha --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-SUZUKI-Sma ... SwSnZe577g
OR this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2012-SUZU ... SwWrNcK5NL
Last edited by AirRideFan on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

AirRideFan

Ronzuki wrote:
WESHOOT2 wrote:I have (all too) often filled all of my Kizashis until gas runs down the fender........ZERO recalls allowed to be performed on any of them; I'm battin' 1000!
That's the camp I reside in as well...for the most part. I did have the S-belt tensioner pulley recall done on my Kiz eons ago, and, Spider fix Rev. 1. Relatively harmless 'repairs' to perform, and, the chance of the suspect OE unit S-belt tensioner failing were fairly high at the time. Shifter recalls on both the Kiz and SX4...no thanks, ain't broke, don't fix it. Same goes for this gas tank thing. Quite simply, one has to weigh out the risks vs. rewards on these recalls from a manufacturer that is no longer present on the continent and make a decision.
My 2012's belt and tensioner pully are making a bunch of noise (especially with the a/c on) -- I didn't know there was a recall for this. I didn't see it when I put my vin # in the last time.
What's the best way to go about fixing this..non-OEM ?
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

KuroNekko

KlutzNinja wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:I don't really want to do this recall but I will given I actually drive on dirt roads from time to time and because my exhaust system has a slight rattle that I'm sure will be addressed when the tech has to remove the exhaust components for the recall work. California also apparently blocks registration renewals for vehicles with ignored outstanding recalls.

While I'm with many of you about people not messing with my car, the reality is that these cars aren't so new anymore and some issues are starting to pop up. My mindset has started to shift away from keeping the car obsessively pristine to keeping it properly serviced for reliable and worry-free operation down the line. Yeah, it definitely sucks that the quality of work depends on the tech you get.
Kuro, if I remember right, my first post on this forum was asking where you’re based, and if we have the same service center. I’m pretty sure you said the Santa Ana location, which is for the most part a commercial truck center, is closest to you? That’s where I had my recall work done last month and they only have one technician there who works exclusively on Suzuki recalls. According to the service advisor he’s done 50+ of these fuel tank replacements without any issues. If there’s one service center to have this particular recall done, it’s this one. Just keep in mind an appointment might not be available for a couple weeks. Apparently there are more Suzuki owners down here than I would have first realized, and it doesn’t help that Suzuki is constantly finding new things to recall across a lot of their vehicles :lol: . Even the service advisor joked that Suzuki has a lot of recalls.
Thanks for the update and letting me know that Santa Ana is the place to go. That's a relief as it's much closer to me than any other location by a lot. I'll make an appointment soon.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)