After Kizashi - What New Vehicle?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

I can't really compare the Kizashi to the Stinger given the Stinger is available with way more power. I see the Stinger as more like an Asian Dodge Challenger-like car. The car I often compared to the Kizashi was the Mazda6 but that now has a turbo engine option. I also always thought the Kizashi compared well to the first generation Acura TSX given the similar power and dimensions. All that being said, the Kizashi is hard to compare now given it's really a decade-old car now.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

The Kizashi has always been a little odd for comparisons because it was sized halfway between midsized and compact sedans, with pricing usually a little below the midsized sedans, too. It always stuck out like a sore thumb in midsize sedan comparisons done by the car media. I think it usually lost these comparisons in part because it was too small; it was always dinged on rear seat passenger space and trunk space.
Flash forward a car generation and almost all of the compacts have caught up in size. I think one or two have actually surpassed the Kizashi’s length by at least an inch. A lot of them are also about as quick as the Kizashi, despite making less power (probably thanks to a combo of better transmissions and weighing less), although the new Mazda3 with its 2.5L has surpassed the Kizashi there just a bit as well, if I’m not mistaken. They ask seem to have better rear seat room and trunk space. And they get much better fuel economy, too... Although most everything does these days. Modern 3-series Bimmers with straight-sixes get about the same, if not better, fuel economy than the most economical variation of the Kizashi.

Tl;dr - Modern compact sedans are the closest thing to the Kizashi in terms of size and speed, as well as interior refinement on some of them. I doubt most, if any, drive as well, especially since the Mazda3 has taken a step back in handling.

As far as the TSX, the Kizashi actually ran ads comparing itself to said Acura, lol. I wonder how many people actually went with the Kizashi over a TSX... or the Audi A4, which was also targeted in ads I think.

The Stinger is a completely different animal built with a different mission in mind. It’s a nice car to go to from a Kizashi (or most any car, really), but if the two were released simultaneously I very much doubt people would cross-shop them. But the Stinger is one of my favorite modern cars and I love seeing them in the wild.
Side note: I sat in the one at the latest LA Auto Show, and while I liked how things felt, the view out the back over the shoulder was pretty bad. Hopefully the side-rear cameras from the K900 and Telluride (which activate with using the turn signal stalk) make it to the Stinger because it needs them at least as much as they do.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Ronzuki

The Kizashi is extremely unique in its size, quality construction (sans the Jatco), and exceptional handling characteristics. Engine/power aside, it is very difficult to find these traits all wrapped up in an average priced sedan, past or present. Thus requiring a step-up to something like a Stinger. Which just happens to come w/ gobs of power. I'd personally love a Stinger, except, I'd no doubt be getting into all sorts of trouble w/ Johnny Law piloting a Kizashi with said gobs of power.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Knightstruth

I agree about the Kizashi being unique at its time in size and handling. As mentioned earlier the car is about a decade old so exact comparisons would not work today because the industry has changed since then. I still think that the stinger is the best spiritual successor to the Kizashi because it is not common, does not have any true direct competitors except the charger, and can be found at some mid-size sedan prices.

My issue with the Stinger is that it is still pricey even used, and its fuel economy is just so-so. In my area I could find a used i330e that has comparable performance and better fuel economy, at the same price. Nissan Maxima could be another option that is cheaper used and has same fuel economy, performance and will have more options at the lower price.

I am bias towards electric vehicles so that is why I got an model 3, so I would love to see Suzuki come back with the kizashi in an electrified form. Make it it affordable, and make it similar to the 1st gen Kiz.
Ronzuki

Correction...you mean the only gen Kizashi…. ;)
Ron

BLyons

Seems only fitting to mention that there are rumors that Kia is killing the Stinger after this gen.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Ronzuki

...but of course.

I'm convinced the vast majority of people do not enjoy the act of driving at all, and really don't appreciate the oneness with a quality and capable machine. Thus, the Kizashis and Stingers of the world don't sell very well. It's really going to suck, 'driving', in the future soon. On that note...it will soon be time to roll the K outta the garage for 6 months or so of fun time :drive: and park the boring, lumbering, CX5. Just waiting for this never ending rain to subside some.
Ron

KlutzNinja

The Stinger may last only one generation, but at least it’ll likely be refreshed before being discontinued. There have been spy shots of updated Stingers in camouflage, and I’m curious as to what kind of updates it’ll get. Some say the new 2.5L turbo from the Sonata N Line will supplant the standard 2.0L turbo. Maybe even the new 3.5L twin turbo as well. As for styling it may look a bit like the new Optima. I really like the current styling TBH.

If you want the closest thing to a Kizashi successor, and happen to live in India, you can get a Ciaz lol. It’s a step back from the Kizashi’s level refinement in my opinion, but that’s the game Maruti Suzuki plays.

I read somewhere that Suzuki doesn’t like the Kizashi and doesn’t want to build anything like it again. They felt they invested a lot into it and didn’t get much turnout. Suzuki specializes in cheap and cheerful so another effort like the Kizashi is unlikely. It feels like Suzuki doesn’t really know just how much of a cult classic the Kizashi really is, and how devoted a lot of owners are. A shame.
johnhenrydale

Echoing @kuronekko 's comments here: I plan to keep my manual Kizashi "GLS" until it dies, which given its stellar (which is to say almost non-existent) service history so far, could easily be another 10-20 years. That said, as a DJ, drummer and biker, this is not the best car for hauling gear. But it's certainly held its own for a mid-sized Japanese sedan!

Having gotten a significant raise in the past year I'm very actively pondering going upmarket a bit with either the Tesla Model Y, the Audi E-tron or - and I can't believe I'm saying this - the Mustang Mach-E. They're not perfect for everything, but they're exactly the kind of car I need as a non-commuting remote worker who gigs on nights and weekends. This is all, of course, assuming that live music and DJ shows ever return again in a post-corona world. (and If I have anything to do with it, they certainly will sooner than later)

Kuronekko is right that electric cars are the future. I don't see gas cars disappearing off the road for another 20-30 maybe even 40-50 years with some grandfathered-in antique car emission law exceptions. But it's clear that's where things are headed. And, to be honest, although I LOVE the reliability of Japanese cars, I feel like it's maybe time that America starts supporting its own domestic car manufacturers again and putting is money where its mouth is.

Love it or hate it, Tesla has really made incredible strides in sparking the electric car revolution and that, when you think about it, is an absolutely astounding feat of both financing and engineering in a world that has probably never seen more and better cars, from every corner of the globe, being manufactured at a higher standard than ever before.

I'm aware they have their issues, but all cars do, and by and large it seems like Tesla owners are generally happy and enthusiastic about their purchases. But I'll wait a little bit to see how both of these cars play out in terms of 6-12 month reliability testing. I like the Audi E-tron's looks a lot and need to drive one to get a better sense of how it compares, but German electrical issues are a longtime concern for anyone who knows anything about cars, so definitely need to wait and see how the E-Tron lasts as well.

But overall I definitely need more trunk / hauling space and i like the looks of the Model Y, E-Tron and the Mach-E *almost* as much as I love my Kizashi.
2011 Kizashi Sport "GLS" 2WD
(GTS Upgrade project)
6sp MT
Azure Gray Metallic
Anthracite Gray Vossen CVT 19" / 5 x 114.3 +32
KlutzNinja

Electric cars suffer a gradual loss in battery range over time, especially if the owner uses fast-charging frequently, which is hard on the battery. But otherwise electric cars appear to be more reliable overall than internal-combustion engines. A lot of the things that go wrong to cause a certain car to be deemed “unreliable” often has to do with the engine or transmission, and electric cars have neither. Batteries and motors are much simpler to maintain over time, as there are far fewer moving parts involved. Their “transmissions” seem to be simpler than conventional transmissions as well. Some of this simplicity also applies to hybrids and plug-in hybrids. Not sure about hydrogen fuel cell vehicles like the Mirai, however; those are basically electric vehicles powered by hydrogen, but I’d imagine similar reliability.

The switch to electric from gasoline will happen at different rates in different places. I think I read Holland has set a ban on the sale of gasoline-powered vehicles by 2025, which is a lot sooner than most other places. The entirety of Volvo’s lineup will be electrified to some extent in the near future. Meanwhile Toyota has taken their sweet time developing fully electric cars, but they have so many hybrids that they don’t really need to, as far as the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards go.

With such a stigma around EVs in America, not to mention a strong sense of nostalgia and heritage towards gasoline cars, I’d imagine the transition here in the States will take so long we’ll probably be fighting North Korea or something for last place lol. As good as EVs are getting, and as popular as Tesla is, EV sales are like 1.2% of all auto sales in the US. Not sure what the total is if hybrids, PHEVs, and Hydrogen vehicles are included, too. The obsession with buying American trucks will also prevent a full transition for us into full-EV, as they are some of the best selling vehicles in here. Unless the Big 3 go electric, and only electric, which you can bet most truck owners will fight and complain about lol, a fully electric US is a pipe dream, sadly.

Sorry for the ramble. :oops:
Last edited by KlutzNinja on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.