A friendly race

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Abdullah

Hi all,
Today I though well let's see how fast is my Kizashi... So I told my younger brother, he has a 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 turbo, lets race to see if my car can beat or keep up with your Civic.
So what do you guys think happened, did I win or lose? If I won how badly did the Civic lose or if I lost was it bad or close?

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
KlutzNinja

What kind of Kizashi do you have? Manual or CVT? If the latter, FWD or AWD?
0-60 times for the Kizashi are (with a good launch) 7.4 seconds for manual, 8.4 for FWD CVT, and 9.4 for AWD CVT.

The turbo Civic, meanwhile, hits that speed in less than 7 seconds with its CVT, I think. Not sure about the manual.
0-60 isn’t a true race but it can tell a bit about acceleration. The Civic is lighter, has a better CVT, is probably more aerodynamic, and its engine produces more torque (and at a much lower RPM than the Kizashi’s). On paper, the turbo Civic should walk over pretty much any stock Kizashi, but that doesn’t include driver reaction times. Tires can play a factor, too. Also depends on if this race was from a standstill or a rolling start.

I’m guessing you won this race due to better skill or reaction time, and maybe tires, otherwise you probably wouldn’t be posting this thread lol.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Abdullah

KlutzNinja wrote:What kind of Kizashi do you have? Manual or CVT? If the latter, FWD or AWD?
0-60 times for the Kizashi are (with a good launch) 7.4 seconds for manual, 8.4 for FWD CVT, and 9.4 for AWD CVT.

The turbo Civic, meanwhile, hits that speed in less than 7 seconds with its CVT, I think. Not sure about the manual.
0-60 isn’t a true race but it can tell a bit about acceleration. The Civic is lighter, has a better CVT, is probably more aerodynamic, and its engine produces more torque (and at a much lower RPM than the Kizashi’s). On paper, the turbo Civic should walk over pretty much any stock Kizashi, but that doesn’t include driver reaction times. Tires can play a factor, too. Also depends on if this race was from a standstill or a rolling start.

I’m guessing you won this race due to better skill or reaction time, and maybe tires, otherwise you probably wouldn’t be posting this thread lol.
Very technical answer... My Kizashi is a 2015 FWD CVT. I lost but it wasn't like that bad. I am still impressed but it's performance... Though my Kizashi is fine the only things I need to change is the spark plugs since the dealer did not have the recommended spark plugs so he used normal ones ( they are not irridium ) and the air filter ( the one in it now fits my car but it was made for small engine car so don't know if that will effect the air flow ) but I doubt that will make alot of difference. I was 85% sure that the Honda would win but still happy with the performance
We tested standstill and rolling. Standstill kizashi had better launch but then the Honda would catch up and pass by. In rolling again kizashi would lead for a second or two but then Honda would start pulling. But once the speed would hit 140 Km/h or 150 km/h Honda gain would start to slow down
We did not go beyond 160 km/h or 170 km/h

Abdullah

I have a question though.... Would my.car had done better if I used the manual mode and pedal shifters instead of CVT mode?

Ronzuki

Abdullah wrote:I have a question though.... Would my.car had done better if I used the manual mode and pedal shifters instead of CVT mode?

My personal seat-of-the-pants meter says yes. Experiencing a 'good' launch in a Kizashi w/a CVT in auto mode is a very perplexing ordeal. The phenomenon has been discussed in the long ago past. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I go WOW! and other times I :roll: :facepalm: My paddles have been exercised quite regularly over the last decade. More consistent and predictable IMHO.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)