Brake wear sensor

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
echo_mike

Hi guys,

Just wondering if our Kizashis' have a brake wear sensors? I know I'll need new front brakes soon, but I'm not sure how long I got left. Is there a sensor that can illuminate the dashboard light when the pads are below minimum? Cheers
2010 Suzuki Kizashi XL
2015 Audi S3 Sedan
WESHOOT2

No.
KuroNekko

No, the Kizashi does not have brake wear sensors. The pads can come with the screech tabs but I don't put them on.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

I had no idea my rear pads were ground down until I had to do a sudden stop with ABS and the characteristic groaning sound from that wouldn’t go away afterwards. My braking performance never really suffered leading up to that point, either. Sometimes when I would back out of a parking space, the rear brakes would lightly squeal the first time I would apply them, but they’ve been doing that since the new pads and rotors were replaced, so I’m not sure that’s a foolproof indicator. I was waiting and listening for the sound of the brake wear indicators that screech once the brakes hit a certain height, but that never happened. Maybe those are only situated in the front brakes, or mine somehow broke off.
But anyway, the safest bet is to just check for yourself from time to time. You can see a bit of the pad without having to take the tire and wheel off, but you won’t get accurate measurements on sight alone. The ease of doing so may be more difficult depending on your wheel type, though. I’d imagine if you have the 17” with the tons of spokes, it’s harder to see. It’s not always easy with the 18” sport wheels, but it’s possible.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

Yeah, the pads aren't too hard to see through the Sport wheels. I don't bother measuring them though. I eyeball it and if they look below 20% of the original pad size, I plan on replacing them in the near future. Doing your own tire rotations is a pain but a very good opportunity to check on the status of brake pads, bushings, linkages, shocks, and CV boots.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:51 pm Yeah, the pads aren't too hard to see through the Sport wheels. I don't bother measuring them though. I eyeball it and if they look below 20% of the original pad size, I plan on replacing them in the near future. Doing your own tire rotations is a pain but a very good opportunity to check on the status of brake pads, bushings, linkages, shocks, and CV boots.
Yep, terrific advise. :) When I had to swap the tires each season it was very easy to inspect the brakes for uneven pad wear, rotor wear, and the lines. I think it's important to keep an eye on these things for yourself as they can be a serious safety issue if there is an issue.