Possibly new kizashi?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Spreekid

Hi guys, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here.
I came across a used kizashi this weekend for a very fair price. The one catch was that it needs a new Evap canister, which the mechanic said is no longer made/available. It is a beautiful kizashi in the deep blue color, sport SLS, and I do want it. Basically my question is if it would be worth it to purchase the car and fix it or should I let this one go? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KuroNekko

I'm not a mechanic but I wonder if this is something you can take out of a junked Kizashi and install as a used part. Evap canisters are emissions components that contain charcoal to absorb and store fuel vapors. If the replacement isn't clogged or doesn't leak, it might work?
Megazip.net sells new ones from Japan for a little over $400. Part Number is 18560-57L10-000.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

Just curious, but what’s the mileage? And is it a manual? I think manual SLS Sports models were a thing. Also, is it a fully loaded SLS? Some SLS models didn’t have every option like the touchscreen. I’m not sure if it being a Sport model had anything to do with it.

Is this component something that any other cars might have? Like how you can find certain parts from other cars that are identical to the Kizashi’s. Asking anyone who might know. I’m not sure how you would find out about that, though. Sounds like Kuro found the safest bet.
I’m curious as to what makes an evap canister go bad, and how often it happens. Doesn’t seem like too common an issue, thankfully. But it also sounds like they’re not easy to source, and if yours fails for whatever reason, apparently the car stops working? Good thing shipping stuff from Japan, like through MegaZip, is a lot more straightforward these days. If this was a year ago you’d be waiting indefinitely or have to pay a very pretty penny to get this thing from Japan.

I think at this point in the Kizashi’s existence, most of the remaining models, especially nicer trims, should go to people who will take care of them and appreciate them for what they are… and not just someone looking for an A-to-B appliance car. That’s what Nissans and Toyotas are for. Pardon my extreme bias lol. I hope you get it, and not some random that will probably not take care of it.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Spreekid

Thank you kuro and Klutz,
The kizashi has 120,000 miles which I know is high for a kizashi. It is an automatic :( as are all of the kizashis for sale around me. It did not seem to be beaten on, and the interior as well as the exterior were in good condition. The person I talked to about the car said that the car runs and drives, but wouldn’t pass inspection because of the evap canister, apparently the vent won’t close when activated or something like that, so I guess it’s leaking? This car seems like a good deal and a great price, I just don’t want to get into something that I won’t be able to fix/ get fixed.
old tech

At 120,000 miles you are getting into the territory when the majority of the Cvt Kizashi‘s are failing. If the transmission is still working fine, I would pull the pan down and inspect it for debris on the pan floor and filter screen. If there are silver shards or peelings that look like chrome then the failing of the primary has begun. If caught in time the balls can be replaced with new ones or converted to pins for a much stronger primary either for about $1000. If driven till you start noticing something isn’t working as it should , this is usually the primary beyond repair . it would need replaced at this point and the transmission repair will be $1900 here in Northwest Pennsylvania. These prices are with transmission still in car and will probably have to be increased after the the new year. As for the canister issue, a used one as KuroNekko stated would be the fix here. I could sell one at $50 plus shipping but if you had a pull-a-part near you , you could do much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KlutzNinja

Oof, that’s dangerous mileage for CVT Kizashis, as oldtech mentioned. How close do you live to NW Pennsylvania? :lol:
I hope this Kizashi deserves another shot with a new evap canister and the CVT treatment, even if you don’t buy it. Sounds too nice of a model to just let it go to certain death.
Last edited by KlutzNinja on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Spreekid

It’s me again
Just found another kizashi, 87,000 miles but the hood and windshield are going to need to be replaced. The windshield would not be as expensive because I’d just have safelite do it, but what do you guys believe a shop would charge for a hood replacement? I saw that new hoods for the kizashi were around $3-500. I’d be willing to pay that because I can get the car cheap. Would it be something I can attempt on my own? Looking for other opinions before I decide whether to buy the car or not, thanks in advance for responding.
golftango

check car-part.com for a hood.
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango