2nd tranny acting up - time to go?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
sorintri

I believe they applied this back then (2018) for the original trans, obviously didn't help much since it ended up replaced.
But thanks for the suggestion
KuroNekko

sorintri wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:29 am Well the Suzuki Mechanic Guru at the dealer did the fluid change and said there was just normal residue in the filter but not metal chips. So he assured me I should be able to squeeze another year out of the car, so we'll see. It's never too soon to start doing my homework on EV comparison!
Thanks again for advice, everyone!
Yeah, it's best to hold out on any new car right now given the chip shortage and high prices of any car, new or used. Also, waiting on an EV is smart because with each year, more EVs are available with better range and issues worked out. With gas prices getting high again (It's already in the $5 point for Premium in my area), EVs are becoming more attractive if you can live with the realities of an EV like range issues, especially in cold weather. My Kizashi will very likely be my last conventional internal combustion engine vehicle and the next will be a hybrid at the very least. I desire an adventure vehicle so full battery EVs are not really feasible for me at this point. Then again, I plan to keep my Kizashi a long time so maybe by the time to let it go, EVs will have a reliable range exceeding 400 miles in most weather conditions.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sorintri

I wanted to provide an update here with more bad news: After the dealer replacing the transmission fluid 2-3 weeks ago, car developed a wheezing/screeching noise on the transmission for the first 2-4 min in the morning when starts and transmission is still cold. Noise seem to be related to changing gears (yes I know it's CVT) i.e. when picking up speed or slowing down. After that, it drives normal with no other weird noises.
I took the car back to the dealer to have it examined and their first diagnostic was: transmission is going bad, need to shell out another 12K to replace it again. As a reminder, this transmission was installed 3 yrs and 35K ago ago under Suzuki warranty by this dealer.
When hearing this I started to ruffle feathers, specially that cold wheezing on the transmission developed AFTER they replaced the fluid. The dealer backtracked somewhat saying that I should just drive it since it works well once it's warmed up and when/if it breaks, deal with it then.
The best I got out of them after many pushes was that they will verify again the fluid is at proper levels, etc. but they will NOT replace the tranny again on their dime and if I'm unhappy with that I should try to contact Suzuki personally, complain about my entire experience with their car.
For everyone patient enough to read this whole saga, what is my recourse here, with the car and with the dealer? What would you do in my shoes? Obviously I don't expect much/anything from Suzuki at this point. But I don't know how I can pursue this further with the dealer and I don't know how much longer would be safe to keep the car and not break down when least expect it? Better to get rid of it now?
Thanks again for everyone's attention, hope you guys have better luck with your cars than I do.
old tech

Can you be sure pan was removed and pick up screen cleaned? The timing of the noise happening cold and going away is typical of either improper fluid level or a restriction such as a filter screen plugging up. 12k to replace , nobody should pay that. $1900 is all it takes here to breath new life back into a failed Kizashi or Sx4 cvt .
sorintri

Hi there old tech,
Here is an update after talking to my dealer, straight from the mechanic doing the repairs:
He said the fluid is at the right level as changed 3 weeks ago.
As far as filters, there are 2 filters, one is "like a mesh" that was cleaned/replaced during fluid change.
The other one is "internal to transmission" and that cannot be serviced unless the transmission is taken apart. Which they obviously did not do.
Is that accurate? If so, filter is clean and fluid level is right, why is the cold noise still there? Is it safe to drive like that for now? How to fix it?
Thanks again for the help, the advices I received here are invaluable.
Regards
old tech

The second filter that you mention is the cooler filter. its access is a bit tight but is right behind a plate housing the fittings for the hoses to and from the cooler. I havent seen much there unless the pick up screen gets damaged.The dipstick has has updated twice. and there are 2 different pans and each had its own filter screen. i would expect them to be correct in your case.On the pan, there are 2 pressed dimples for centering debris magnets, are they going lengthwise of the car or side by side. Also take a picture of the dipstick while on a tape measure and I can confirm its correct. There is slight differences in the level of noise that have to be called normal from these cvt s when comparing say your buddys Kizashi due to wear on the pump/ flow control valve. When worn badly it should start throwing a pressure code via check engine light. I like installing a new one while I have em torn down but should be fine til 175k
KlutzNinja

Both filters can be accessed without any special dealer-exclusive tools or the like. Just basic tools you can get on Amazon or an auto parts store. Finding replacement filters is a bit more complicated, though. Especially with ‘13 models and their different pan designs. If I recall right, old tech has said the ‘13 Kizashi can use the same kind of transmission fluid pan filter that the older Nissan Altimas (‘10) use(?).

Ronzuki (‘10 or ‘11 Kizashi, I think) did a change on both of his filters a while back, so it’s definitely possible for us owners to access both filters.
viewtopic.php?t=4657
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)