2nd tranny acting up - time to go?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
sorintri

Hello fellow Kizashi owners, new forum member here!
I'm the original owner of a 2013 GTS AWD. Original tranny acting up around 65-70K, finally replaced under warranty by dealer around 80K. Now (117K) replacement tranny started acting up too - whining when driving uphill and overheated smell when pulling into the garage. I like the car but TBH I'm pretty fed up with the CVT issues, so my question:
Anything I can do (replace CVT fluid, etc.) to extend the tranny/car's life for at least another 25k or 1yr, until the car prices return to normalcy (hopefully) or is it time to get rid of it for good? Ideally I'd keep this for another 2-3 yrs so I can jump straight into EV age but now I doubt it's possible.
For reference, I live in central CO (Denver - Co Springs area) so the mountain roads are particularly challenging for this crippled tranny.
TIA for your opinions!
old tech

Was the replacement trans an actual new one as it should have been under Suzuki warranty ? This is very early to have issues.Anyway Id suggest pulling the pan and inspect and clean filter. Put picture here of any debris on rear area of pan floor and of filter. Filter clogging or low fluid is the usual cause of whining noise. New fluid is just good maintenance and just a little overdue if you follow new recommendations of 30k intervals. Does current trans have the latest deeper pan as compared to 2010 and 11 models ?
Woodie

Welcome sorintri !
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
sorintri

Woodie: thanks, glad to be here!

Old tech: since the trans replacement was done under warranty at dealer I assume it was a new one but, one can't be certain?
Also, I'm not a DIY guy beyond brakes but I will take it to dealer to have CVT fluid replaced and ask these relevant questions you mentioned. Anything else I should ask?
Oh BTW, today i also noticed several small drips in the garage in the mid-front region of the car. Given that previously the car has never dripped anything, could this be from CVT?
Regardless, it's going to the dealer for checkup ASAP.
Thanks for your help.
KlutzNinja

What’s your dealer situation like? I thought by your last post that you might be in Europe, Australia, or somewhere else with Suzuki auto dealers still around. But I read in your first post that you’re in Colorado? Do you take your Kizashi to a different automaker’s dealership that’s authorized to work on Suzukis? For example, there’s a Subaru dealer some cities away from me that’s supposedly authorized to service Suzukis (outside of recall work)… although I’ve heard bad things about them working on Suzukis :lol:.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

Hopefully, some fresh new fluid and a filter for the CVT could extend the vehicle's service life for you, especially as you stated, with the current state of vehicle prices.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sorintri

@KuroNekko: Yeah, that's my hope. At least for another year or so.

@KlutzNinja: I live near Co Springs and the former Suzuki dealer in town (McCloskey) is the one that carried on Suzuki warranties and specialized work, has their own Suzuki certified guru and has been doing most of my Suzuki work there.
KuroNekko

sorintri wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:21 pm @KuroNekko: Yeah, that's my hope. At least for another year or so.

@KlutzNinja: I live near Co Springs and the former Suzuki dealer in town (McCloskey) is the one that carried on Suzuki warranties and specialized work, has their own Suzuki certified guru and has been doing most of my Suzuki work there.
The best thing to do is what Old Tech stated: Drain the fluid, drop the pan, and check the filter. If there are metal flakes, you know that the CVT components are starting to disintegrate and you don't have much time. If not, change the fluid to fresh fluid with a clean filter and hopefully, that will keep the CVT going a while. If you had a replacement CVT put in, sounds like you only have 40K miles on it so a fluid replacement should hopefully be all it needs.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sorintri

Well the Suzuki Mechanic Guru at the dealer did the fluid change and said there was just normal residue in the filter but not metal chips. So he assured me I should be able to squeeze another year out of the car, so we'll see. It's never too soon to start doing my homework on EV comparison!
Thanks again for advice, everyone!
bdleonard

There was a recall on some 2013 Kizashi and SX4s for a hardware flaw in the TCM that could result in improper pressure control which could cause overheating. If this has not been done, I would check to see if it applies to your vehicle:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/R ... 1-8318.pdf