Front defrost

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Jacob1234

When I turn on front defrost it turns on ac anyone know why
Woodie

That's the stupid way they designed it, I absolutely hate the A/C/heat system.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Jacob1234

Yes very weird I thought mine was broke or something
bdleonard

Jacob1234 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:06 pm When I turn on front defrost it turns on ac anyone know why
This is how the defrost function behaves in nearly all vehicles with AC, even if it doesn't indicate it. The vehicle is using the AC to remove moisture from the air to prevent condensation or frost from forming on the inside of the windows, and to help remove it efficiently if it has.
KuroNekko

bdleonard wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:56 pm
Jacob1234 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:06 pm When I turn on front defrost it turns on ac anyone know why
This is how the defrost function behaves in nearly all vehicles with AC, even if it doesn't indicate it. The vehicle is using the AC to remove moisture from the air to prevent condensation or frost from forming on the inside of the windows, and to help remove it efficiently if it has.
This is correct as air conditioners function as dehumidifiers. In fact, I've heard of people getting docked on their DMV driving test for not turning on the A/C for defrosting a windshield. While I think that is extreme given A/C isn't necessary in all cases, the defroster does function better with the A/C on, especially if the window fogging is related more to humidity than colder temperatures.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)