Check engine light P0101

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Mastec1969

Hello all! I’m new to this forum. I’ve been trying to figure out this 2012 Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 L with a repeated check engine light P0101 Mass air flow performance. This is my stepson’s car and a recent purchase as his old car was totaled . I am a 34 year GM Master Technician . Looking to see if anyone else has had this problem. We live in the suburbs of Chicago and this seems to occur on cold starts or when vehicle sits at least 2-4 hours. I checked the air intake ducts for leaks and loose clamps. Also checked the power and ground at the MAF sensor. Also bought a new MAF same as the one in there, Delphi Technologies.Same issue.Battery was leaking acid so I replaced it as well. Checked freeze frame data after code set. Usually sets less than 1 minute run time around 1450-1500 rpm and anywhere from 9-10 gps on the MAF. If I cleared the code it can be ok for several hours or the rest of the day until a cold start again. Did I mention it also has a K&N air filter in it. The only thing I have not done yet is to induce smoke in the induction system to see if there are any leaks. I did spray carb spray looking for a vacuum leak but didn’t find any. Of course with the check engine light it set a service ESP message on the DIC as well a a hill descent message. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
SAEED_KIZZY

Hello and welcome. I believe the original MAF sensor should be DENSO any other aftermarket MAF could create performance code.at idle with the engine fully warmup MAF should be around 2.4 (engine size) like other cars. in your case, I think it better to check the freeze frame to see at what rpm code was generated.
Mastec1969

Hi and thank you for the reply. I should have known it should be a Denso part. I own two Toyotas. I did read the freeze frame data it was listed in my post. It’s only sets on a cold start within a minute runtime and 1468 rpm’s generally, with a reading of 9-10 grams . I suspect maybe the K&N air filter but it shouldn’t be the problem. Thanks agin
Mastec1969

Hi! Haven’t heard anything else from anyone in this forum for a bit. Any other advice on the P0101 code on a 2012 Kizashi AWD ???? It would be greatly appreciated.
old tech

I think a denso maf needs to find its way back in there for your troubles to be over. the 2010-2013 sx4 2.0 uses the same maf so hit the pull a part for a cheap one. Id recommend tossing that K&N filter and put stock type back in it and make sure that battery isnt letting drop to far during cold cranking
golftango

Mastec1969 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:50 pm Hi and thank you for the reply. I should have known it should be a Denso part. I own two Toyotas. I did read the freeze frame data it was listed in my post. It’s only sets on a cold start within a minute runtime and 1468 rpm’s generally, with a reading of 9-10 grams . I suspect maybe the K&N air filter but it shouldn’t be the problem. Thanks agin
I think you answered your problem.

Is this the "oiled" filter? They are know to contaminate the MAF. I'd go to a stock filer, clean the MAF with CFC MAF cleaner, reset the code and go from there.
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
KuroNekko

I wonder if K&N filters let in too much moisture past the filter media. In reading this thread and the fact that frost has affected some other Kizashis in similar ways, I'm starting to wonder about this possible issue. I used to use K&N filters on past cars but after some research, observed they let way too much through in tests. They make sense for vehicles that race in dirt (what K&N filters were invented for) but I don't think it's an ideal filter for vehicles intended for long service life in everyday driving conditions where filtration quality matters more than airflow. I also wonder how they do in frigid conditions given again, K&N filters were designed for desert races in the Southwest. The company is from Riverside, CA and just a few days ago, we had 90 degree weather here in Southern California... in February. I'm curious to see how the OP's Kizashi does with a MAF cleaning on an OE part with an OE-type air filter.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WESHOOT2

Mine's been throwing MAS codes when it's bitter cold, but it goes away.......
golftango

WESHOOT2 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:52 pm Mine's been throwing MAS codes when it's bitter cold, but it goes away.......
You should have it scanned, something is amiss as cold is not the culprit.
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
WESHOOT2

Checked when at dealership; suggested it was frost forming on the sensor.
Gotta have cruise......