Transmission failure, looking for recommendations

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
jonlai9

My 2012 Kizashi AWD has bit the dust. Location - Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 148K km on the original transmission fluid. I was about to have it done based on the 150K km number (I know now, from the forums and others encounters, this was a mistake).

Two weeks ago, it started going into limp mode in 1hr+ drives. This happened twice before the transmission completely failed on the highway, luckily I was able to limp off and into a parking lot. Not knowing better, I thought it was going to limp mode again, so after resting it up I tried to drive it to my mechanic, just 5km away. It engaged fine for the first 500m before the engine light went on and went out for good, with enough momentum to get me to another parking lot. Had it towed home.

Diagnostics showed P0777.

Called a few local highly rated transmission shops, none of them were willing to even take a look when I told them Jatco JF011E due to the lack of parts, or just being too busy as it is and don't want to deal with CVTs. The closest I got were shops that tried to locate parts for me but were told from their "parts guys" they don't even sell used parts for this tranny anymore. I was told there were only 7 used trannys available in the country (not that I want to go this route) and the cheapest one was C$2K for a 200K km tranny (hell no) and that was on the other side of the country. Car is worth about $8K based on Autotrader.

Just got new tires, brakes and rotors on this, was hoping I could get another few years out of it. Junk yard quoted C$700 to take it in, in which case I would probably sell the all-seasons separately as I've also got a set of winters that are near EOL and hopefully get half of it back.

What would you do? Looking for suggestions. Thanks :)
old tech

P0777 is basically the transmission is losing valuable line pressure . This is nearly always caused by the primary pulley asm coming unglued and the partials clogging pickup screen,thus setting code and going into limp mode . The car’s mileage is too low and it’s value is too high to let it go to the junkyard. My advice would be to pull the pan ,clean the screen and run your old fluid through a paint strainer filter
before putting it back in. Unplug the battery for 30 seconds restart it and you should be able to drive it. It will quickly regather debris and clog the screen again but what we are wanting to accomplish is towing the thing near the border and then driving it across the border into US then reload on trailer . I’m about two hours from the border. I can fix your car in a day for the price of $1600 US cash and warranty for a year. All parts are on hand and transmission will be better than it was new with a year warranty.” Pm me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jonlai9

old tech wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:35 pm P0777 is basically the transmission is losing valuable line pressure . This is nearly always caused by the primary pulley asm coming unglued and the partials clogging pickup screen,thus setting code and going into limp mode . The car’s mileage is too low and it’s value is too high to let it go to the junkyard. My advice would be to pull the pan ,clean the screen and run your old fluid through a paint strainer filter
before putting it back in. Unplug the battery for 30 seconds restart it and you should be able to drive it. It will quickly regather debris and clog the screen again but what we are wanting to accomplish is towing the thing near the border and then driving it across the border into US then reload on trailer . I’m about two hours from the border. I can fix your car in a day for the price of $1600 US cash and warranty for a year. All parts are on hand and transmission will be better than it was new with a year warranty.” Pm me if interested.

Thanks for chiming in, old tech! I agree with your assessment on not wanting to junk it, and would have taken your offer in a heart beat but the border business sounds like walking a tight rope... Would you happen to know any friends on this side of the border that could help? Or, since I feel you're confident on the diagnosis, would you be willing to send the parts over? Otherwise, do you know if it is a lot of paperwork to have it towed across the border? Would I even be able to do the paperwork/temp importing myself?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions... !
old tech

I don’t know of any contacts that are in Canada for you. I thought maybe we could make that car drive through the border and if you needed to I could meet you with a truck and trailer on this side. That would incur a little extra charge $300. Meeting a friend/club member should’ve enough explanation to border trolls. I don’t know about enough about shipping into Canada . I have shipped two complete transmissions into Canada but both times shipping was arranged on your side of the border. I have driven the truck and trailer into Canada quite a few times with race car and other times buying transmissions but coming out of Canada is different from shipping into .

FSJNut

I know it may be a bit of a hassle to get the car to Old Tech but it may be well worth it. You would end up with a car with a better than new transmission that would like likely last the few years you were hoping for and probably more. And the work would be performed by a true expert on these cars, a very rare thing to find.
2010 SLS
2012 GTS