Replacement Wheel

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
allyc15

Hello all. I am new to this group and came across it, spending hours trying to find an original 18x8 20 Spoke Wheel for my 2012 Kizashi SE. I’ve found plenty in silver, but I need black, which are not easy to find. And if I do they’re not in good condition. Any suggestions where I can find the wheel? I’m looking for in black? Thank you for any responses and input.

~Ally
bootymac

I'm not sure it ever came in black. Do your wheels have an aftermarket finish?
KuroNekko

Sounds like your wheel is not original (aftermarket) or that the original was painted black. If you upload a picture, we can tell you very easily if you're trying to replace an original wheel or not. As Bootymac alluded to, the Kizashi never came with black wheels from the factory.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
old tech

The black that you are seeing is the primer or under coat . Some of these original top coat wore off very evenly like powder and left this pretty durable black surface under it. If you are anywhere near n/w pa , Im sure I have one to match yours. A word of advice, chuck rim up on a tire balancer and spin for rim run out. All rims can bend but given the size , off set, and weight of these cars their rims can crack or bend fairly easy. It would be a shame to pay shipping and receive a bent rim.
allyc15

I really didn’t know much about rims/wheels until after an extensive search for this black rim, that apparently does not exist. I did come across a salvage yard that was selling 3 in black on eBay. I finally did come to the realization (and an article) that people do paint their rims! Unless it is the primer showing as you (old tech) said. I also learned that a wheel can possibly be fixed. In the end I found this little auto repair shop that had 2 matching rims that he sprayed black and put on the back of my car.

Yes, I ended up having 2 cracked rims, as I also learned that I have “low profile” tires which can cause damage to the wheels fairly easy which old tech also stated. Unfortunately, wheels for my car are quite expensive, no matter if refurbished or used. And even if I bought a set of four steel aftermarket rims, I thought it was just too much money. Thank you for all your input. Sorry I’m just seeing today, as I was going nuts looking for black rims I couldn’t find 🤦🏻‍♀️ as well as seeing the prices for them in hypersilver!! It would have been quite helpful if I remembered to come back to this site sooner…that’s for sure!

~Ally
allyc15

KuroNekko wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:21 pm Sounds like your wheel is not original (aftermarket) or that the original was painted black. If you upload a picture, we can tell you very easily if you're trying to replace an original wheel or not. As Bootymac alluded to, the Kizashi never came with black wheels from the factory.
The car came with 4 of the same 18” 20 spoke wheels but were black in color. For now the auto shop had these used wheels he sprayed black and put in the back so they wouldn’t be as noticeable. They actually don’t look that bad for now. I also bought 2 used tires. I paid $320, which I thought wasn’t bad either…🤷🏻‍♀️
Attachments
IMG_2474.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg
IMG_2475.jpeg
Last edited by allyc15 on Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allyc15

old tech wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:14 pm The black that you are seeing is the primer or under coat . Some of these original top coat wore off very evenly like powder and left this pretty durable black surface under it. If you are anywhere near n/w pa , Im sure I have one to match yours. A word of advice, chuck rim up on a tire balancer and spin for rim run out. All rims can bend but given the size , off set, and weight of these cars their rims can crack or bend fairly easy. It would be a shame to pay shipping and receive a bent rim.
I’m in NEPA, Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area. I might still be interested in the wheel you have. I could be 1 closer to a full matching set or at least have on hand as a full sized spare. Those donut tires are ridiculous. If still available I’d be interested in the details. Thank you!
KuroNekko

Welcome back and thanks for posting the pictures.
Your old wheels are 100% the original silver wheels that were painted black by the prior owner. This is not surprising as the Kizashi actually has a paint issue with certain colors and all wheels are known to have weak paint that flakes off easily. The prior owner of your car likely just opted to paint the wheels black for this reason or style preference. Either way, this is why you could not find black original wheels for the Kizashi.

As for the mismatched wheels, you gotta do what you gotta do for the interim but make sure that the wheels and the tires are similar in size and wear to the other set if you have AWD. Mismatched wheels and tires of different sizes can cause long term damage on your AWD system. This is not a concern for FWD vehicles as the front and rear axles are not connected.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
old tech

I will dig up one of my wheels that look the closest to your color. Ill post a pic. If you want it, I can probably have it dropped near you as I have a guy from Stroudsburg coming to get a cvt trans in about a week . $60 for a nice straight original Suzuki 20 spoke wheel
allyc15

KuroNekko wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:59 pm Welcome back and thanks for posting the pictures.
Your old wheels are 100% the original silver wheels that were painted black by the prior owner. This is not surprising as the Kizashi actually has a paint issue with certain colors and all wheels are known to have weak paint that flakes off easily. The prior owner of your car likely just opted to paint the wheels black for this reason or style preference. Either way, this is why you could not find black original wheels for the Kizashi.

As for the mismatched wheels, you gotta do what you gotta do for the interim but make sure that the wheels and the tires are similar in size and wear to the other set if you have AWD. Mismatched wheels and tires of different sizes can cause long term damage on your AWD system. This is not a concern for FWD vehicles as the front and rear axles are not connected.
Thank you for being so friendly & welcoming, and for all the feedback & advice! The car is AWD and thankfully the mechanic brought this up and how important it is to have the right size tires & wheels. So that made me feel comfortable dealing with this guy, as he seemed to know what he was talking about. He was also the one who made the suggestion to spray the “new” rims black & put on the back so they wouldn’t be so noticeable. And he put the TPMS sensors on the new which was great! As you said, for the interim, I gotta do what I have to, and I think this was the best and inexpensive option I could have found! On a Sunday no less!!