Paint peeling off of the roof near windshield, small area to start

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
chazyouwin

Just thought I'd let everyone know that at 95k miles for a 2010 SLS I've got paint starting to discolor and peel off the roof, near the center of the windshield. Its a small area and looks like weathered bird poop that has not been fully washed off, but on closer inspection its actually the paint itself. The rest of the car's finish is still in great shape. Will want to get this repainted as its still a really nice car.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
old tech

It sounds like the clear is starting to peel off of the roof. I guess you can be glad at least that you don’t have the white paint which is clearly the worst of the Kizashi colors as far as holding up. They are peeling paint right off the roof, and taking the primer with it. The next worst color is the dark blue. It seems to be losing its clear all over the hood and roof. Next is the pull me over Red. The wing fades badly along with clearcoat pocking up everywhere . Next is the dark gray, which is not nearly as bad but still is starting to lose some of it’s clear and get dull. Next is the black it just seems to wanna chip a bit easy. Next is the medium red, which seems to just lose Its clear on the mirrors. The light blue and the premium silver still seem to be the best colors for fewest problems. A while ago I had a Honda civic SI that had a severe clearcoat issue and it was not reported to Honda fast enough for them to cover. The body shop gave me a ridiculous quote because they said they had to scrape off all the clear and start over, I sanded the roof and took black rustoleum paint with a foam roller and covered. Just the Center roof section pretty much like the Kizashi has. It covered great and looked really good as some of the newer cars have a black roof section from the factory. in the A body shop man bought the car from me and left the black roof because he liked it. No more than $15 in materials and 3 hrs of work. Another way to fix this inexpensively, but nicely is a black vinyl section extending the windshield with maybe white Suzuki wording on it. Just some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chazyouwin

Thanks - I think I'm in for a roof repainting job. I was quite happy with the local paint place for a roof/hood job on my first Suzuki, a 2002 XL-7 (sold last year). Just have to find some time to get it in, without the boss (wife) knowing about it.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
SamirD

old tech wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:52 am It sounds like the clear is starting to peel off of the roof. I guess you can be glad at least that you don’t have the white paint which is clearly the worst of the Kizashi colors as far as holding up. They are peeling paint right off the roof, and taking the primer with it. The next worst color is the dark blue. It seems to be losing its clear all over the hood and roof. Next is the pull me over Red. The wing fades badly along with clearcoat pocking up everywhere . Next is the dark gray, which is not nearly as bad but still is starting to lose some of it’s clear and get dull. Next is the black it just seems to wanna chip a bit easy. Next is the medium red, which seems to just lose Its clear on the mirrors. The light blue and the premium silver still seem to be the best colors for fewest problems. A while ago I had a Honda civic SI that had a severe clearcoat issue and it was not reported to Honda fast enough for them to cover. The body shop gave me a ridiculous quote because they said they had to scrape off all the clear and start over, I sanded the roof and took black rustoleum paint with a foam roller and covered. Just the Center roof section pretty much like the Kizashi has. It covered great and looked really good as some of the newer cars have a black roof section from the factory. in the A body shop man bought the car from me and left the black roof because he liked it. No more than $15 in materials and 3 hrs of work. Another way to fix this inexpensively, but nicely is a black vinyl section extending the windshield with maybe white Suzuki wording on it. Just some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the different paint colors! Really helps someone know where they are in terms of 'the problem'. Just like all my other cars, I think when it goes, it's just going to get a full vinyl wrap. If the paint hasn't gone yet, I should probably just go ahead and wrap it now as that will probably save the paint.