Acetone improving MPG

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Moto
Site Admin

I don't think you are an idiot. If done correctly this probably works just fine, and if you trade your car off every year it probably will never bother you. I am trying to stop other people from doing this because if you do it wrong just once it could cause all kinds of trouble. If you do it consistently it will likely cause problems.
No Issues with the Engine Parts

I have soaked carburetor parts in acetone for months and even years to see if there is any deterioration. Any parts made to run with gasoline will work with acetone just fine. I presently have parts soaking in 1, 2, 5, and 10 % acetone/gasoline mixes as well as just gasoline. That is 20 to 200 times too much just to be sure.
This statement from the article is a load of crap. I have used acetone a lot, and I know of a fact even diluted acetone will cause lasting damage to any rubber or plastic component of a car.

If the whole fuel system used metal components it would not be a problem, but new cars have too many little pieces that are made out of rubber or plastic.
Mileage gains will likely be offset by repair costs in the long run.

Grammar and Spelling are not my strong points, but I have thick skin regarding personal attacks. On this forum I have never stepped in and said something was a bad idea so blatantly. I do not want to see members of this forum trying this as I’m sure it will cause someone serious mechanical problems.

There is a reason it is not common practice.

~tc~ I deleted your comment because it wasn't constructive to the disscution.
~tc~

Do not confuse the cooling effect with the real reason direct injection is used ... To prevent ping/knock at higher compression ratios. In an internal combustion engine, compression ratio cures all. The problem is that compression related detonation is hard to control - and why diesel engines have had direct injection (at ~30k psi FYI) for a long time. If there is no fuel in the chamber, it cant predetonate - so by injecting it just at the time you want ignition, you dont have to worry about it.

Since regular injector work at ~100 psi, it becomes obvious that if your compression ratio is about 10:1, then your direct injection system needs to run at 1000 psi. In other words, the droplet formation and cooling effect is essentially the same as regular fuel injection. So, maybe the question arises - why don't they run at 30k psi like diesel (as it did for me at a previous job when we started making GDI parts)? Because ANY issue with gasoline at that pressure "results in a spontaneous thermal event".

The science here is flawed. The data you have presented is flawed. There is an admitted danger to the longevity of the fuel system parts. People reading this need to understand this so they can make an educated decision before damaging their vehicle.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic