Suzuki Central States Meet...

Organize regional meets in your area, and help this car grow a cult like following.
Any North American, and regional information is welcome.
sx4rocious

My write up on the Clubsx4 forums about out first attempt at a meet last weekend. Man it was fun!

Suzuki Central States Meet
As all of you know, a few of us got together this past weekend for what we called our first Central States Suzuki Meet. For those of you who weren't able to make it, I thought I would start this thread so we could post pictures and share stories of the weekend and maybe prompt a few more people to make the trip next time. (and there will certainly be a next time!) I absolutely consider this meet a success in ALMOST every way possible and I believe I speak for the entire group when I say that we will have memories to last a lifetime!

Members in attendance:

from this forum:
sx4rocious
Highmileage
2010sx4sport
stevetomato
PeteThePirate

From the Metro\Swift forums:
"Bob" and girlfriend

From Kizashiclub forums:
sx4rocious (wife)
"Diana and Shawn"

From elsewhere... (our adopted Mitsubishi girl)
"Courtney"

There in Spirit:
locdoc3 (from Canada. He really helped us plan and promote the event, but was unable to attend due to the distance)

Friday we all met up and had dinner (which lasted several hours!). The conversation was awesome and we all felt like we'd known each other for years. We then moved on to see some crazy drag racing and met up with some local import enthusiasts. We wound up talking with the locals for several hours and checked out several of the cleanest and best built Subarus I know of. Phone numbers were traded, Facebook friend requests were granted, and stories were told until well after 1:00 AM.

Saturday started early with coffee and a photoshoot (which will be posted later, I'm not around my home PC at the moment). Lunch was at the ClabberGirl bakery (Google it sometime. It's actually really cool!) There was quite a bit of hilarity and hijinx all around Terre Haute from then until dinner at Mogger's Brewery, but I feel I must keep it between the participants until the statute of limitations has passed! More talking, cruising, and bonding to follow until meeting up, once again, with the local import guys until ALMOST 2:00AM. This time there was even a Ford Focus there that built so clean and subtle that I nearly wanted to go domestic.

Sunday started early again with brunch at Cackleberries (another local favorite) and again, lasted until the nice waitress reminded us that Sunday was their busy day... Near-tearful goodbyes were said along with vows to do this again soon. With more planning, attention to detail, and participation, I really think this event could spawn new enthusiasm in the brand.

We did a lot of talking about where we wanted to take the event in the future and where to go from here. Next year, the event will most likely be held in a more northerly location (thinking Michigan City Indiana along the BEAUTIFUL Lake Michigan Beachfront) or in conjunction with another auto event (Misubishi Owner's Day in Bloomington Illinois was brought up, or the Nopi Nationals or Chicago Auto show, Who knows?). One idea that the majority of participants agreed on, was forming a "car club" made up of people who owned and loved cars "orphaned" in North America by their parent companies. Cars like Citreon, Suzuki, Lotus, Renault, Pre-GM Saab, Pre-Chrystler Fiats and Alphas, etc... After this discussion, "Auto Orphans" Facebook group was formed. Feel free to check it out! Hopefully a website will be formed soon and we'll see what happens from there!

All-in-all, I feel the event was a success. It left me wanting more and excited for the next one. The crazy thing was, it wasn't even the cars that made me feel that way. It was the people behind the wheel. There were people from the professional world, laborers, a truck driver, a correctional sergeant, a parts-counter girl, and a soccer mom, yet everyone shared a passion for an unusual and orphaned little car no one knows exists. I didn't understand before, but I "get it" now when Suzuki used the slogan "WAY OF LIFE".

Thanks for an incredible weekend guys!
'rocious
SamirD

This sounded like a blast! But I'm glad I didn't bring the wife and come as she would have HATED it. This is the same fun I used to have every weekend back in HSV.

Don't count out MKE. It's got the same lake front that Chicago does, but smaller and more intimate without the crowds. There was a kite festival here this weekend and there were Lambos and Porsches everywhere, so lots of eye candy. There is a street hangout scene here, and although I don't remember where it is and have never been, I was told it was 300-400 cars. The downtown is nice, and everything is fairly cheap and accessible without traffic or other worries.

There's a couple I know in HSV that has several orphans, but from earlier years like Kaisers and Studebakers. It would be interesting to roll into an orphan car show with a bunch of 2010 cars. :lol:
KuroNekko

Sounds like it was a good meet. I'd like to go to one of these kinds of things some day.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Sounds like it was a good meet. I'd like to go to one of these kinds of things some day.
You've never been to something like this? You would absolutely love it. Imagine all the great conversations on this forum, in real-time, and simultaneously. Add to that all the cars and everything to show and tell. Add in some great places to eat, great places to drive, and great company, and there's nothing that beats it. 8-)

If I didn't meet my wife, I would have gladly spent the rest of my life single and happy just living the car enthusiast life. 8-)
lockdoc3

As sx4rocious said, the distance was too much for me to attend from New Brunswick, Canada (1400 miles), but I sure wanted to be there! I was certainly glad to be able to help those guys out some with promoting and planning (ideas only, really). They have told me a few great stories from the meet (some I'm not sure whether to believer or not yet)!

Since I couldn't go to Indiana for their Suzuki meet, I thought I'd see if there's enough interest to have one here. If anyone knows someone in New England, Quebec or the Maritime provinces of Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island) that might be interested in a Suzuki meet in the fall of 2014, please let me know (see http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =23&t=3049).
Terry McKee, CSN (Chief Suzuki Nut)
(I don't actually own a Kizashi, sorry)
-------------------------------------------------
2009 SX4 Sport sedan (current)
2008 SX4 JLX hatchback
2007 XL7
2004 Swift+
1990 Swift GL sedan
1987 Forsa
~tc~

This thread is worthless without pix!
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
sx4rocious

~tc~ wrote:This thread is worthless without pix!
yeah yeah, I know.... I've been working pretty much non-stop since the meet, so I haven't had time to post any. I'm actually at work right now. I only have a few since most pics were taken by the adopted Mitsubishi girl, but I'm going to try and get them emailed early nest week so I can post them.
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:This thread is worthless without pix!
lockdoc3

I wasn't there, but I helped the guys by hosting the Facebook event for them on Suzuki Auto Can-Am Fans (http://www.facebook.com/SuzukiAutoCanAmFans). Here's a few group photos they took. There were a total of nine Suzuki's (only eight different ones made these group shots), including two Kizashi's.
10390163_679519592083742_4959259325255115132_n.jpg
10390163_679519592083742_4959259325255115132_n.jpg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
10296854_667173596687851_4064622882277857985_n.jpg
10296854_667173596687851_4064622882277857985_n.jpg (266.12 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
10258646_679411438761224_1767299198186191044_n.jpg
10258646_679411438761224_1767299198186191044_n.jpg (146.79 KiB) Viewed 8998 times
Terry McKee, CSN (Chief Suzuki Nut)
(I don't actually own a Kizashi, sorry)
-------------------------------------------------
2009 SX4 Sport sedan (current)
2008 SX4 JLX hatchback
2007 XL7
2004 Swift+
1990 Swift GL sedan
1987 Forsa
SamirD

Cool! If I would have made it, I would have been the SLS sport twin of the black Kizashi. 8-)