car ramps & rear diff oil suggestions

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
sd-kizashi

Hello,

After lurking around for about a year I decided to say hi so....

Hi! :D

I also wanted to ask two questions. First is car ramps. Which ramps do you used and where did you get them? I would like to change my own oil but the car ramps I've seen won't fit under my Kizashi because it's low to the ground. I found some ramps on line but they cost $250 which is too pricey for me. Any suggestions would be great. I don't want to use car jacks because of a chance of the car slipping.

Second question is oil for the rear diff. I would like to know what oil people are using in their rear diff. I was thinking of using Mobile1 GL-5 75w-90 full synthetic.

Thanks!
Ronzuki

I have a set of ramps I bought at Wal-Mart. Black plastic el cheapos that get the job done. Don't remember what they cost...they were no $250 I can say that for certain. They get the job done on all the FWD cars in the driveway Kiz included. Rear diff oil change is tough in the kiz, nt way to get a standard floor jackway under there far enough to lift it by the diff. (no room to pump the handle) I used two floor jacks one on either side at the road jack lift points to get it up in the air enough to drain and fill using a lube pump that threads on to the bottle of gear oil..

have fun
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Ronzuki

Ronzuki wrote:I have a set of ramps I bought at Wal-Mart. Black plastic el cheapos that get the job done. Don't remember what they cost...they were no $250 I can say that for certain. They get the job done on all the FWD cars in the driveway Kiz included. Rear diff oil change is tough in the kiz, nt way to get a standard floor jackway under there far enough to lift it by the diff. (no room to pump the handle) I used two floor jacks one on either side at the road jack lift points to get it up in the air enough to drain and fill using a lube pump that threads on to the bottle of gear oil (Sta-Lube Syn-Go Full Synthetic 75W90).

have fun
Ron

sd-kizashi

Ronzuki

Thanks for the reply. I did a quick search on walmart's web site and found the ramps you mentioned. They are the Blitz PowerRamp 8000 and they go for about $45. I got them this weekend and I'm happy with them. Thanks.

I didn't find Sta-Lube Syn-Go Full Synthetic 75W90 at any of my local auto stores but a friend said that Royal Purple Full Synthetic 75W90 would be better than Mobil1 and I was able to get it at O'Reilly's. I'll give Royal a try and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
Moto
Site Admin

I was going to say I use the walmart ramps, but I didn't think you would want those. :) The other option if you only have one good jack like me is to use a good set of jack stands. Make sure to block the wheels so that car cant roll. The jack stands are kind of nice if you have to spend a little extra time under the car because you will have a lot more room.
Ronzuki

Moto...what rear lift point(s) do you use for the floor jack in order to free up the road jack points to place the jack stands under? I hate uni body cars that don't have real fames, this is my problem. I lift the vehicle by the two rear most road jack points and shove my jack stands under the frame-ish areas as a precaution (no vehicle weight placed on them) in case the floor jacks fail while I'm under there.
Ron

Ronzuki

sd-kizashi wrote:Ronzuki

I didn't find Sta-Lube Syn-Go Full Synthetic 75W90 at any of my local auto stores but a friend said that Royal Purple Full Synthetic 75W90 would be better than Mobil1 and I was able to get it at O'Reilly's. I'll give Royal a try and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. My local NAPA carries the Sta-Lube products. They were the only place to get the severe duty 140W full syn I used in my Jeep Rubicon's diffs. Never had any issues w/ it, good product so that's what I've been using for a number of years now. Also use it in my Sami's gear boxes and diffs as well. Can't go wrong w/ RP either based on the many good things I've read and heard about their products.
Ron