Need help with rear differential/transfer case oil change

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Rob0381

Like the title says. I have been looking for a Haynes or Chiltons manual so I can do this myself but there is not one out yet. So Im looking for anyone that can post a step by step to work me through it. Also, Im gathering from the owners manual that a GL-5 gear lube such as Mobil 1 75-90 is used in both the transfer case and rear diff, anyone know if this is correct? I am fairly mechanically inclined, so as long as I know exactly where the fill/drain plugs are, I can handle it. Hoping to do it this weekend so please post your experiences if you have done this, and pictures are a plus. Thanks a lot!!!
2011 Kizashi Sport SLS AWD Vivid Red
Rob0381

Well I was able to do it myself, which saved me $60. Looking at the owners manual and comparing the pictures in it to what I was looking at under the car, I was able to determine what was what. This is my first AWD car and what I thought would be the rear diff was actually the transfer case, and vicea-versa. I went with Mobil1 75-90 and it was very easy to do with some simple tools.
2011 Kizashi Sport SLS AWD Vivid Red
~tc~

Be sure to check the level after spinning it a bit. It will usually go down a bit as the oil fills in all the nooks and crannies.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
SamirD

I hate to bump an old thread, but since we're on the same subject, I thought I would. :mrgreen:

So looking at the electronic version of the owner's manual for 2010, I noticed that the service schedule for the rear differential oil is no different than an automatic transmission, maybe with even shorter intervals.

According to the 'normal' schedule, the rear diff oil needs to be changed after just 7500 miles. The severe schedule is at 15,000 miles and every 15k thereafter.

Anyone been doing these regular fluid changes? Also, anyone looked into using Redline's diff oils since no Suzuki spec fluid is called for?
Moto
Site Admin

If you fill the rear diff with synthetic there is almost no way that 15K is a realistic number. If you are trying to keep you warranty then I suppose you had better do it, but I run AMSOIL Severe Gear in the rear diff my wrx and I had to drain the fluid after 10K miles for some recent work I did and the stuff still looked new. I put the used stuff back in. (AMSOIL Severe Gear isn't exactly cheap)

Gear oil lasts a really long time.
SamirD

I'm thinking the factory fill isn't synthetic. I'll have to look at the Amsoil offerings a well. I love their 0-30 oil. Redline is better for my Altima trannys, while Amsoil seems better for my Galant and Accord. The only one I haven't tried is Royal Purple.

I'll be changing the diff and transfer case oils the second I get down south to my garage and my tools.
WESHOOT2

I've done fairly regular rear diff fluid changes, about every 30K (or so 8-) ).
SamirD

WESHOOT2 wrote:I've done fairly regular rear diff fluid changes, about every 30K (or so 8-) ).
What oil have you been using?
WESHOOT2

Whatever the dealer uses.
SamirD

WESHOOT2 wrote:Whatever the dealer uses.
cool. The Suzuki fluid can't be bad the way you beat on it. :mrgreen: