My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

Got the tpms sensors today! :D

And since this was the first time I'd seen a sensor in person, it was neat to understand how they work.

So the valve has nothing to do with the sensor. It's actually just attached to the sensor, and that's about it. You can actually see there's a hole on the other end that goes right into the tire well and not anywhere near the sensor. It's simply used as an attachment point for the sensor. The sensor itself has its own hole for air pressure measurement.

The factory Suzuki sensors are made by VDO/Continental. There's actually a Continental logo on the sensor as well as a Suzuki one. I looked up the FCCID on the sensor and it led me to all sorts of goodies about it including what the insides of it look like:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... 180052015B

Seems like a pretty simple design. Something that could be easily reverse engineered. It's important to note that this FCCID number applies to a wide variety of VDO part numbers. The one off the Suzuki sensor is s180052015e, while some quick research shows that s180052019h (under the same FCCID) is actually a Mazda part number (BBM2-37-140B).

This also means that the valve stem as well as the service kit for the factory sensor are both available from VDO (part#s se54191 and se54190, respectively).

VDO/Continental was one of the first aftermarket sensors available for the Kizashi (part# se57772). They also make the Redi-Sensor which many other brands like Dill, Dorman, etc sell as their own (part# se10001hp). VDO designed this multi-use sensor to still use the same factory sensor rebuilt parts. This makes it easy for anyone looking up the factory sensor procedures to not miss a beat. They probably won't even be able to tell the difference.

In my opinion, the VDO/Continental sensor is a very high quality replacement for the Suzuki factory sensor at a much cheaper price. Besides what might be a marginal difference in quality control between the factory sensor and the VDO aftermarket one, or a difference in battery life, the sensors are for all purposes identical.
SamirD

So now that I have sensors right in front of me, let's see what the vt30 does to trigger/read them.

These results surprised me.

I set one of the sensors in front of the vt30 and set it to read as I have many times before. The TX light flashed like it normally did and I turned my head to search for the VDO part numbers I posted above.

Then it happened--beep! It read the sensor! So I tried another one, and another one. After a few short minutes, all the sensors were read into the vt30 with their sensor IDs for me to look at as well as the current psi, temperature, battery status (ok or not), frequency (315 for these), and what looks like a weight of .5g.

So I thought to myself, okay I guess this does work with Suzuki sensors. In some of my searches, I've noticed that Jeep, Dodge, and Chrysler sensors seem to work with our cars. Let's see if these sensors respond to a Jeep, Dodge, or Chrysler setting. They did perfectly, triggering like they did for the Suzuki.

So then I thought, let's try Mazda. It's a different part number so surely it won't work--nope. It worked too.

So now I think the only thing left for me to do is test my own tires on the car and figure out why they're not reading. I'm sure it's just a problem with the vt30 not communicating strong enough.

Oddly enough, even with the sensor right in front of the vt30's 'antenna', it still took almost 30 seconds on most of the sensors. There's only one that registers almost immediately, which is odd because these are all the same.

Time to call ATEQ and find out what's going on...
SamirD

ATEQ was closed. :( Rats.
mgp123

Interesting and useful info so far
SamirD

So I spent some time playing with the vt30 and the tpms sensors and the steelies I bought.

First I cleaned up the steelies and put on a good coat of wax. That should keep them pretty rust free.

Next, I took one of the sensors and just test fit it into place. Then I proceeded to try to read the sensor using the vt30. I could never get it to read the sensor even without a tire mounted! The only way I could get it to read the sensor was to place the vt30 inside where the tire would be directly over the sensor about 1" away.

I then tried following ATEQ's instructions on reading the sensors on the Kizashi placing the vt30 on the tire sidewall. I tried this, I tried touching the valve stem. I tried against the rim where the distance between the sensor and vt30 would be the least--and with every test combination on two different wheels, "no sensor found".

So I've come to two conclusions--either my vt30 is defective, or it's junk.

The dealership tool using the Suzuki part number is about $100 more, but it's definitely going to work. After talking with ATEQ tomorrow, that may be my next move. From some of research on the dealer tool, it seems to be made by Bartec. But Bartec's normal tools start at around $450--much higher than the dealership tool.
Ronzuki

If I understand the above posts correctly, you were able to trigger & read the (4) used OEM un-mounted sensors acquired for the winter steelies but were not able to read the existing OEM sensors that are currently installed on the car inside the tires?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:If I understand the above posts correctly, you were able to trigger & read the (4) used OEM un-mounted sensors acquired for the winter steelies but were not able to read the existing OEM sensors that are currently installed on the car inside the tires?
That is correct. Furthermore, the same oem un-mounted sensor when mounted to the steelie without a tire will not read in any position except when the vt30 is placed where it would be 'inside the tire'. In other words, it doesn't work as the instructions mention in placement, even when there is no tire and there is direct line-of-sight to the sensor.
SamirD

I just got off the phone with ATEQ (even when I should have been working on work), and they're emailing me a beta firmware. The problem is apparently the vt30 doesn't have the sheilding that the vt55 does, so they have the power turned down. In their tests, like mine, they could trigger a sensor at 1". With this new firmware, that should increase to 3". I told them that probably won't work, so they're going to make another firmware for 6", but I'm also going to try the beta firmware for 3" and see how it goes on the tires already on the car.

We're supposed to get a good dumping of snow here over the weekend, so I'm really starting to get super-angry at the tpms regulation created by the government. I could have safely changed the tire wheel combo before this storm if it wasn't for tpms. :evil:

I also did some calling around to see if I can just get the Suzuki tool that I have the part number for. Most everywhere I've called, it has been discontinued with no part superceding it. However, I've got two options for similar ones that I have sourced. I may just go that route and forget playing around with the vt30, but it's almost double the money to do so.
Ronzuki

based upon your earlier post regarding Autel, this one sounds to be the way to go, but until someone actually tries it and proves its operation.....how would you know?

Autel MaxiTPMS® TS401 V2.39 TPMS Diagnostic and Service Tool

$250 from Autel online.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

I've read mixed things about Autel. I'd rather spend a little more and have something I know works, which the Bartec seems to guarantee since their 4 year old version Tech 100 seems to be what the Suzuki dealer tool was. I wish I could just find that tool--I'd just buy it and be done. It actually sold at a decent price according to the parts catalogs that have it listed.