How to Black-Out Your Kizashi Bumper

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
KizzyOHIO

Time and Materials:
This project took about 2 hours for prep and labor, and then 24-48 hours for drying time.

1) Suzuki Kizashi
2) Newspaper
3) Painters Tape
4) Automotive Paint (I used Sherwin Williams SEM 39143 Trim Black)
5) Sand Paper (I used 2000 grit)
6) Window Cleaner (Ammonia Based)
7) Car washing materials

Step 1: Buy a Suzuki Kizashi (any color other then black will work):
1.1.jpg
1.1.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
Step 2: Wash car throughly (preferable day before to allow time to completely dry, the tape will not stick properly to a dirty or wet surface):

Step 3: Place painters tape on vehicle to create the line desired (tucking the tape under the grille is helpful for full coverage):
1.jpg
Make sure the tape is on completely to prevent the paint from bleeding. I used a credit card edge to push the tape down.

Step 4: Tape newspaper to exisitng tape and vehicle to account for overspray:
2.jpg
You now have an official Nascar with all those adds! You can never have too much coverage go overboard here.

Step 5: Sand bumper lightly to remove any imperfections and to rough up the existing paint:
3.jpg
Step 6: Clean surface with window cleaner to remove any dust and remaining wax/cleaner:
5.jpg
Step 7: Add paint (light passes to prevent dripping and for a more even coat):
6.jpg
7.jpg
It took roughly 9-10 passes to cover the bumper completely and have a consistent color over the entire surface.

Step 8: Move car into sun to allow to dry and to inspect for quality:
8.jpg
I made 2 of the passes with the paint once I had the car in the sun.

Step 9: Remove paper and tape, inspect work:
10.jpg
I felt the paint was dry enough after about 30 minutes to remove the tape. (Times may vary!)

Step 10: Allow plenty of drying time
The paint I used felt dry after 8 hours but I allowed 48 hours before driving.

Step 11: Enjoy your custom look front end!

Post project thoughts:
Now that I have completed the first pass of the front end modification I wish I would have also painted the inner lip surrounding the bottom trim piece. (See picture below) While this isn't required, and the finished product looks good without it, I feel it would really complete the look. I am also considering adding a pin-stripe around the entire grille. While I might use red, someone could use black to really sharpen up the edge (in the event the tape bled while painting.)
11.jpg
Well there you have it, my first DIY. Hope this was helpful. If anyone has any questions or would like specific pictures just let me know. Now what to do next...
2010 White Manual Kizzy "S" -riding badgeless-
trey6417

Wow thanks for the write up. Nice job and looks great. I plan on doing my platinum Kizashi here soon. I'll post results when I do.
Moto
Site Admin

Well done. To help make the pant a little tougher you might want to hit it with some clear coat and wax. Sometimes third party paints fade fairly fast without protection.
SX4toKizashi

Kizzyohio, can you please post close up pictures (taken from an angle so I can see how deep the indent is) of the front badge? I want to remove the chrome S on mine but not sure yet if I'm gonna like the end result. Thanks in advance.
KizzyOHIO

Sure thing! I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them. You can see the goo I'm still rubbing off. Like I said it seems to be the hardest to remove (admitedly I haven't been trying really hard...). Look for pics tomorrow evening.
sloopercat

I plan on doing the same thing, but I am going to have one of the vinyl wrap guys do it. Removable, replaceable too.
KizzyOHIO

Here are some close up pics of the "S" and the front grille indentation. Be WARNED that there is still adhesive on the edges of the grille. I think I will spend some time removing it this weekend.

Close up of the removed "S":
1.jpg
Full grille:
2.jpg
Close up of the grille without the "S":
3.jpg
Click on any of the above images for a larger view. Hope this helps!!!
SX4toKizashi

Thank you kizzyohio for posting pictures. I really looks nice .