What tires are best?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
kizashigal

You'll be happy with Nitto Motivo..good treadlife and ride handling, good in wet and snow. Great mileage warranty.
2011 Kizzy SE AWD Deep Sea Blue

*drive it like you stole it*
11zukizashi

i got the car back yesterday with the dws.... holy crap they are smooth and quiet. get a smooth stretch of highway and you could close your eyes at 80mph and not be able to tell if the car is even moving.
Pleiku

I decided upon the Goodyear Eagle Sport all-seasons and the shakedown cruise was a round trip to New Orleans---touch under 2K miles. Solid feel better than the Dunlops, slight MPG increase from what I could tell, 80 MPH with excellent control, and when we hit a massive rain storm in Kentucky the rain performance was very very good.
All in all, I am satisfied with my choice at $191 per tire which included mounting/balancing/etc. There is a small $40 rebate which helps. We'll see what the tire wear will be but I recommend the rubber.
Kiz is a great traveler as were the Clive Cussler book CD's for the 12 hour driving stints. Can't do 15 like I used to, though.
PittsburghJoe

I for one really liked the stock Dunlops for handling but not for life. I rotated every 5K and eeked out 30K on them which seems to be pretty good. I decided on these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... port%20SLS and have been very pleased. I can't speak to the treadwear as I've only put a few K on them. As far as handling goes someone on tirerack commented that there was a 1K break in period. When I first got them on I thought the handling was mushy but after about 800 Miles it felt tight and responsive again. I bought a set of 4 at walmart for around $150 ea.

2012 AWD SLS BTW
bootymac

PittsburghJoe wrote:I for one really liked the stock Dunlops for handling but not for life. I rotated every 5K and eeked out 30K on them which seems to be pretty good. I decided on these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... port%20SLS and have been very pleased. I can't speak to the treadwear as I've only put a few K on them. As far as handling goes someone on tirerack commented that there was a 1K break in period. When I first got them on I thought the handling was mushy but after about 800 Miles it felt tight and responsive again. I bought a set of 4 at walmart for around $150 ea.

2012 AWD SLS BTW
Those are great tires! I was choosing between those and the Kumho Ecsta 4x tires for another vehicle. I ended up getting the Kumhos as they were a bit better (and also cheaper at the time) based on this test: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... p?ttid=151
Woodie

I just put on Falken Zeix ZE-612+ in 245/45-18. Just went back to Discount Tire Direct to find the exact model # and they're $6 cheaper
:facepalm:

I'm very happy, but it's early days yet. I've only driven about 100 miles so far. Going to Ohio this weekend, so that will give me a better idea. They certainly ride smoother than the Dunlops even though the installer put 42 psi in them. Also happy with the alignment, I shouldn't have waited this long to get it done. The before report is alarming, almost every box on it is red. Car doesn't seem to wander as much now. You still can't set the cruise and go to sleep like a big old Buick, but it's not constantly trying to change lanes as it was earlier.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
bootymac

At what mileage did you get the alignment?

It would be great if you could share the before and after measurements in the alignment thread: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1248
bmw&kizzyownr

I only got about 22K from my stock dunlops. Probably could have gotten another 5-6 K out of them but it was a scary ride in rainy conditions even in AWD. I rotated those tires and had the alignment adjusted several times but it just didn't seem to make much of a difference. I bought Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3s as replacement tires and I've noticed a big + change in the handling. It also seems like the ride is better over broken pavement and uneven road surfaces. They are expensive (around $210 per tire) but in my opinion....well worth it. I looked at a bunch of tire evaluations and they were at the top of most reviewers recommendations.

Note: I currently have over 36K (12K on the Michelin's) on my 2011 SLS AWD and the tires are performing flawlessly. I did the penny check on the tire tread and I don't appear to have burned much rubber to date.

Take care!
Woodie

bootymac wrote:At what mileage did you get the alignment?

It would be great if you could share the before and after measurements in the alignment thread: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1248

I was going to wait until November, but I rotated them last month and was appalled by the condition of one in particular. It had a stripe worn so badly that the cord was going to be exposed very soon.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
NiteRider

PittsburghJoe wrote:I for one really liked the stock Dunlops for handling but not for life. I rotated every 5K and eeked out 30K on them which seems to be pretty good. I decided on these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... port%20SLS and have been very pleased. I can't speak to the treadwear as I've only put a few K on them. As far as handling goes someone on tirerack commented that there was a 1K break in period. When I first got them on I thought the handling was mushy but after about 800 Miles it felt tight and responsive again. I bought a set of 4 at walmart for around $150 ea.

2012 AWD SLS BTW

Bought the same Generals a couple weeks ago. And I agree, the handling has gotten even better after 1K. Had a wicked storm today with flash flooding and felt completely in control with roads that resembled water falls. :drive: I love them so far. Cost me $542.86 including tax using a 5% off discount code on TireBuyer.com. I also received $50 rebate Visa Card back from General. Free Delivery by the way...

It was a good deal but I should have waited. General is now offering $70 gift card beginning Aug 27th. And TireBuyer has a better discount now too with 10% off using code RETAILMENOT10P and expires 8/31/14. Comes out to $487.37 total before taxes, free delivery and a $70 gift card if you wait until 8/27 to order them. Very good deal imo.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyer/tire ... v121000586
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty