LED Tail/Brake Light Bulbs

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
hotnyh

Thanks for the good advice blackcat!
DesRado

This is from earlier in the thread. The words will open to the link of the bulbs I purchased. Do not buy the turn signal bulbs, they are not really compatible with the car.
DesRado wrote:Ordered:
Reverse lights
Tail Lights
Turn signal: NOTE: These are not compatible with the Kizashi. The pins don't line up as they are 180 and need to be something like 150 or so They do however fit in the socket and turn on but there is nothing to secure them in the housing.
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

hotnyh

Thanks for the reply. Didn't occur to me those were links to the sale web site. Thought they led to photos. One more noob question if I may. These listed on Amazon don't mention 'dual intensity.' Will they work similarly to the ones that kuronekko posted?
DesRado

Yes, they are dual intensity, otherwise they could not function as brake lights.
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

hotnyh

Cheers!
KuroNekko

Last weekend, I bought and installed LED tail/brake lights for my Kizashi. I had a $20 gift card from Autozone for a mail-in rebate so I decided to use that to upgrade my rear bulbs. I purchased Osram Sylvania ZEVO LEDs given I've seen some good video reviews on them. They also come with a lifetime warranty.

The unique thing about these red LED bulbs is that they only feature 2 LED emitters per bulb instead of having many cover the surface of the bulb. Hence, these two LEDs are super high output and are mounted on a metal heat diffuser. They run for $25 a pair which is a lot better than the last set of LED bulbs I purchased and tried.

Interestingly, the bulbs are sold in three "types/sizes" that are all compatible with the Kizashi. While the Kizashi calls for a 1157 bulb (in incandescent size) the ZEVOs spec the 1157R, 2057R, and 2357R as all compatible with each other. For starters, the "R" after the bulb size indicates that the LED bulb's output is red. Red LEDs must be used for tail/brake lights, unlike incandescent bulbs.

Given that 1157, 2057, and 2357 incandescent bulbs are all technically different, but listed as interchangeable as ZEVO LEDs, I did some research and also contacted Sylvanvia for details. Here are my findings:
The difference between 1157, 2057, and 2357 is the output for incandescent bulbs. Many cars call for 1157 bulbs which are dual-filament for tail light mode and a brighter brake light mode. The 2057 is similar except has a softer/weaker output for only the tail light. The 2357 is a bulb that has a brighter output for only the brake light.
However, the ZEVO packaging lists them as all interchangeable so I contact Sylvania customer service to see if there are any technical or specification differences. They replied that all three of the ZEVO bulbs are the same and that there are no differences unlike the incandescent versions. I believe the different bulb numbers for the ZEVOs are for part number matching from incandescent to compatible LED bulb. Hence, I actually purchased a ZEVO 2357R LED bulb given the 1157R was not in stock. It fits and works perfectly.

As for performance, the bulbs are impressive and a noticeable improvement over the incandescent bulbs which had some black carbon-like residue inside the bulb from years of use. The output through the lens is a deeper and richer red color due to the actual LED emitter being red in output. The bulb design also has the bulb sit in a position for the emitters to light perfectly to the sides. I believe this maximizes the reflection inside the tail/brake light reflector.

Given that the bulbs offer superior performance, faster light-up and instantaneous max output, while likely lasting the life of the vehicle, it looks to be a good upgrade. The product also comes with a limited lifetime warranty against failures.

I'll post photos shortly when I have more time, but here are some product photos from the web:

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
BLyons

Those are actually the exact ones I ordered recently. I'm really just hoping they don't cause radio interference. That's my only complaint with the couple that I have tried using.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
KuroNekko

BLyons wrote:Those are actually the exact ones I ordered recently. I'm really just hoping they don't cause radio interference. That's my only complaint with the couple that I have tried using.
Interesting. I have a lot of LED mods but have no issues with the radio. However, I must admit that I seldom listen to the radio and opt for my iPod or streaming music (Pandora, Spotify, Apple Radio) from my iPhone via Bluetooth audio. I only listen to the FM radio when I have other people in my car.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
jadeng97

KuroNekko wrote:
BLyons wrote:Those are actually the exact ones I ordered recently. I'm really just hoping they don't cause radio interference. That's my only complaint with the couple that I have tried using.
Interesting. I have a lot of LED mods but have no issues with the radio. However, I must admit that I seldom listen to the radio and opt for my iPod or streaming music (Pandora, Spotify, Apple Radio) from my iPhone via Bluetooth audio. I only listen to the FM radio when I have other people in my car.
Now that you mention radio interference I tested it out in my car. Noticed very slight static on a few stations with my LED Headlights turned on. When they were off it didn't affect it at all.
2012 Suzuki Kizashi GTS i-AWD (Red)
BLyons

jadeng97 wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:
Now that you mention radio interference I tested it out in my car. Noticed very slight static on a few stations with my LED Headlights turned on. When they were off it didn't affect it at all.
Interesting. I have OPT7's in my highbeams and haven't noticed static from those. It's really just when I have my brakes on for the most part, the taillights don't typically cause it unless I'm near the edge of radio range.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD