'11 GTS: swap nav for non-nav?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
RedGeminiPA

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, as I'm sure it has. I didn't have much luck using the search on this forum.

I'm possibly buying an '11 Sport GTS on Wednesday or Thursday. It has the Kenwood nav unit, and it's quite terrible, as many have stated. How hard would it be to swap it out for the non-nav RF unit? They're popping up on eBay rather cheap, and I really don't feel like messing around with going aftermarket. The regular RF sound is fine for me.

I'm mainly going after real, usable Bluetooth for phone and audio. The USB didn't work as expected. I plugged in my iPhone 6s with a genuine Lightning cable. iPod and music popped up onscreen, but the music only played through my phone's speaker...

I'd really rather have the plain RF head unit. I don't need the backup camera.

Thanks for any input.
2011 Sport GTS FWD CVT Nav
Altoona PA
n8dogg

I don't believe it would be that simple. The Non-nav RF unit has an amp connected to it somewhere in the trunk. I'm not sure if the RF unit would power speakers at all without an amp. And them I'm not sure that the speakers would like the amp. I'm guessing that when they put the RF system together it was all very proprietary, not liking to mix parts. I'm thinking it would probably be easier to go aftermarket.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
RedGeminiPA

n8dogg wrote:I don't believe it would be that simple. The Non-nav RF unit has an amp connected to it somewhere in the trunk. I'm not sure if the RF unit would power speakers at all without an amp. And them I'm not sure that the speakers would like the amp. I'm guessing that when they put the RF system together it was all very proprietary, not liking to mix parts. I'm thinking it would probably be easier to go aftermarket.
So... the RF non-nav unit hooks up entirely different than the RF nav unit? I'd assume they'd both have an external amp, since they're both RF systems with the 8" subwoofer... Not the case?

From what I've experienced, trying to go aftermarket using a factory amp is a royal PITA... a route I really want to avoid. I might look into a different Bluetooth connection to mate to the current system. Someone in the Outback forum put together a really nice setup for not a lot of money.
Altoona PA
n8dogg

I couldn't say if that was the case...I was kind of assuming it didn't have the amp seeing how the sound between the two set ups is so different. Maybe I spoke to soon seeing how I've never seen the nav version, but like you, my experience is that when there is a factory amp going aftermarket its a PITA! That's why I was thinking that if there was no amp, an aftermarket stereo would be a much easier decision that the non nav RF unit which needs the amp. I'm kind of surprised that no one here has piped in with their experience with the nav system.
RedGeminiPA

Ok, so I got the car today. I'll check other threads for other little issues.

Back on topic. I found a solution that I'm happy with... so far. I don't receive phone calls that much, so I'm not sure if that'll pose an issue, but for $10, my solution is working great...

I ran into Ollie's today to grab a few things, and I remembered they sell a Craig Bluetooth adapter that connects to the older Apple 30-pin connector, which this has in the glovebox. I got one, tried it, and it's doing the job. For $10, I'll take it.

So, moral of the story: for those of us with the Kenwood Nav units, there's a $10 solution to have Bluetooth streaming. :drive:

Oh, @n8dogg mine looks just like yours.
Attachments
6110211-5.jpg
6110211-5.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 8901 times
6110211.jpg
6110211.jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 8902 times
Altoona PA
RedGeminiPA

Altoona PA
KuroNekko

RedGeminiPA wrote: the older Apple 30-pin connector, which this has in the glovebox.
Do the Kenwood nav models come with these from the factory?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
n8dogg

RedGeminiPA wrote:

Oh, @n8dogg mine looks just like yours.
Yes, looks great! Mine's SLS AWD. I looked up the pics on the online dealer listing of your car. Couldn't tell is was a 100,000+ mi. used car! Someone must have traded it in due to the warranty just expiring. I'm excited for you...I love the Kizashi and suspect it has a lot of life left in it! I've debagged the rear of mine, tinted the windows, and added the hood deflector to help with the paint chipping, which is quite a problem. Dr. Color chip is a pretty easy solution if you have similar results with your paint.

Cool fix on the Bluetooth issue too.
kconklin33

KuroNekko wrote:
RedGeminiPA wrote: the older Apple 30-pin connector, which this has in the glovebox.
Do the Kenwood nav models come with these from the factory?

They do, my Mom has an SLS equipped with the Kenwood and in the glovebox has a detachable usb cable which has the 30 pin connector attached.

Side note, The Kenwood from my experience is awful as is the sound system that matched. I was sure the Rocksford system would sound good in the SLS but I've found that not to be the case. I've played with all the settings numerous times and still cannot get it to sound good. The only time I hear bass is when the stereo is cranked to almost max volume output (With the bass turned up as high as it goes). My base line S model sounds head over heels better.
RedGeminiPA

Thanks n8dogg. It was a 1 owner out of the Pittsburgh area. Yes, stone chips galore. I'll deal with that when the weather warms up.

For now, I'm fighting the nasty Service TPMS BS. Just spent $100 today replacing a weak sensor, relearn and re-balancing the tires. Light came on again later this evening. The garage also found 2 rims that are slightly bent on the inside lip, causing some sight vibrations on the highway.

I need to get this TPMS issue fixed. I don't have a bunch of cash to throw at this since I just used all my cash for the down payment.
Altoona PA