LED Modifications

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
KuroNekko

jadeng97 wrote:i used opt7 h11 leds in the foglights. Those were just plug n play. The headlights were Night Cat I think. Got them on amazon. also plug n play. I ordered rubber dust covers that have a hole in them for the fan on the LED headlights. Had to cut the hole a bit bigger just so it fit snug. But overall was a pretty easy project and they look amazing!
Nice. I assume the headlight LEDs are for the low beam? How's the output through the projector lenses? If it's not too much of a hassle, mind taking a photo of the beam pattern and output on the road? Based on your description, it sounds like the bulb's fan sticks out of the cap through the hole. Is that correct?
I've heard good things about the OPT7 LED kit.

I'm quite into lighting modifications myself, but have HID kits in the low beams and fogs. I have a LED kit for the DRL/high beams. How kits work differ from car to car based on headlight design (especially because of the reflector) so it's always good to see how different products worked out for various people.
golftango wrote:I too had to replace the drivers side low beam, again. Got one year exactly from the Osram Night Breakers.
The Night Breakers are a high output halogen so I'm not surprised they had a rather short lifespan. Given the massive pain of changing bulbs in the Kizashi, I think aftermarket LED and HID kits are the way to go.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
jadeng97

Yea i have it in the low beams want to do high beams too. Just too expensive to do it all at once so i figured id wait on those. It looks very good! So much better and brighter than halogens, no dark spots really that i notice. But, the difference in them over halogens is so amazing that im not too worried about exact beam pattern or dark spots. I bought rubber dust protectors that are meant for LEDs so yes the fan sticks out thru the hole in them. Sorry don't have any pics at the moment but ill try and get some over the next few days! Speaking of light modifications have you done LED's in your brake and reverse lights? Really interested in them!
2012 Suzuki Kizashi GTS i-AWD (Red)
KuroNekko

jadeng97 wrote:Speaking of light modifications have you done LED's in your brake and reverse lights? Really interested in them!
I actually just installed LED bulbs for the tail/brake lights. I posted about it right before your first post in this thread. I'll post more in detail (with photos) in the thread I have dedicated to LED tail/brake lights when I have more time. The post that's already in there is from a previous time when I put in some LED bulbs to test them out. However, I took them out as they were intended for another vehicle.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3471

I haven't touched the reverse lights, but will eventually get to them. They are just low priority for me. My entire interior is LED, including the glove box and vanity lights.
jadeng97

KuroNekko wrote:
jadeng97 wrote:Speaking of light modifications have you done LED's in your brake and reverse lights? Really interested in them!
I actually just installed LED bulbs for the tail/brake lights. I posted about it right before your first post in this thread. I'll post more in detail (with photos) in the thread I have dedicated to LED tail/brake lights when I have more time. The post that's already in there is from a previous time when I put in some LED bulbs to test them out. However, I took them out as they were intended for another vehicle.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3471

I haven't touched the reverse lights, but will eventually get to them. They are just low priority for me. My entire interior is LED, including the glove box and vanity lights.

Ohh gotcha I saw that post! I mainly want LED reverse lights so its easier to see while backing up at night. As far as interior I don't have any yet but would love to do some red footwell LEDs.
KuroNekko

jadeng97 wrote: Ohh gotcha I saw that post! I mainly want LED reverse lights so its easier to see while backing up at night. As far as interior I don't have any yet but would love to do some red footwell LEDs.
I'd prioritize reverse lights too if I parked in a dark area, but my parking areas are well lit so I don't really need improved back-up lights. Regardless, I'll upgrade sometime as better LEDs are getting cheaper.

As for footwell LEDs, some people have actually modded the factory LED. All Kizashis come with a single emitter amber footwell light for both the driver and front passenger. Not sure if you're aware, but you can actually control its settings with the dash menu. Hold down the DISP button on the steering wheel (I think) for several seconds and then you'll see a menu. One is for controlling the footwell lights to come on with the doors only (default), off, or on with the headlights (my choice). If you mod this LED (like splicing in your own), you can take advantage of these options.
jadeng97

I never knew that. Gonna have to try it out. How hard is it to splice in your own?
KuroNekko

jadeng97 wrote:I never knew that. Gonna have to try it out. How hard is it to splice in your own?
It's not hard to splice it into the wires. It's rather simple with wire cutters, a wire stripper, and then a connector that you crimp over the wires. The harder issue is how to mount them. The car's original footwell LED is a single small amber emitter that's located within a kickboard, if I recall correctly. Hence, you need to either swap out the emitter to a red one to keep the same set-up or tap into the wiring but put your own LED housing. However, the latter option would allow you to have more than one LED for the footwell, like a strip of LEDs.
BLyons

I have LED reverse lights and love them. Also have tried a few different brake/taillight options, but all of them have caused radio interference on certain stations. I'm going to try a new set soon and hope that one works.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
jadeng97

BLyons wrote:I have LED reverse lights and love them. Also have tried a few different brake/taillight options, but all of them have caused radio interference on certain stations. I'm going to try a new set soon and hope that one works.
What LEDs do you have for your reverse lights? How was the install?
BLyons

These are what I have now, because one of the others I had originally ordered stopped working.

Install is super easy. You just go through the access panel in the trunk, twist out the socket, swap bulbs, and replace.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD