Engine and Transmission Assembly Removal for Head Gasket Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
licenseTOill

Just about finished with disassembly.

I don't have any issues with the quality/design of the parts in this car. I've been impressed so far with the quality of all the parts I've inspected. The tensioner plunger seems interesting and superior to me. It appears to use the engine's oil pump to supply oil and build pressure for the chain tension rather than a self-contained, pressurized unit, such as I have seen in other engine manufacturer designs. I haven't read the service manual in regard to setting the timing tensioner for reinstallation yet.

I certainly would consider replacement of any parts here that Suzuki recommends. (I know there are several that they do not suggest be reinstalled after disassembly in the service manual. I haven't looked into what all those parts are yet but I will when I am ready to reassemble.) The only items I think anyone would question would be the chain guide/slides. It doesn't appear that replacing them is necessary for me, at this time. I have 100k on them and, based on the current wear, I would think I can get well over 100k additional miles out of them and more likely, 200k. See photos below.

Removed intake manifold. Just the 5 bolts/nuts in the photo and some plastic clips to remove the wiring harness. I had previously removed the hoses.
2984.jpeg
2984.jpeg (432.3 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Timing Tensioner parts
3009.jpeg
3009.jpeg (287.82 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Timing tensioner guide wear
I believe the "useful life wear indicator" is the bottom of the groove on the guide. My speculation is that the guide should be replaced once the chain wears away the plastic material so much that the center groove no longer exists.
2990.jpeg
2990.jpeg (186.86 KiB) Viewed 10855 times

Timing tensioner guide wear
3001.jpeg
3001.jpeg (200.94 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Chain slide wear
3017.jpeg
3017.jpeg (158.19 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Chain slide wear
3005.jpeg
3005.jpeg (173.02 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Chain slide/guide inspection page. Not much useful information on this inspection page from the service manual.
3013.jpeg
3013.jpeg (174.88 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Parts list from worldoemparts.com
3020.png
3020.png (148.09 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Removed components from the block. Just the cams and head bolts left now.
3007.jpeg
3007.jpeg (400.01 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
2012 Kizashi SLS AWD - Pearl Black
--HID low beams.
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT Twin Turbo - Pearl White
--ATX to MTX
--NA to TT
Joe Nag
Woodie

What's that box on the intake cam sprocket? Centrifugal advance inside there, or a harmonic balancer of some kind?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

I'd imagine it has something to do with the VVT.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
licenseTOill

Correct its is for the V.V.T. - It is the CMP
The Camshaft Position (CMP) actuator system enables the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to change the intake camshaft timing while the engine is running.

I got it all apart and cleaned up. My head is .009 out of flat and the block is .003 or .004. The limit on both is .001. It looks like there are several pretty clear paths from the combustion chamber to the coolant jackets unless I am interpreting the signs incorrectly. I see 4 locations on each of the two center cylinders and 3 locations on each of the two outer cylinders. I had previously confirmed combustion gas was present in the coolant system via a dye test.

Removed Cams, bearing caps, and tappets
3065.jpeg
3065.jpeg (327.27 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
Diassembled Head
3067.jpeg
3067.jpeg (387.29 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
There is a head bolt located under one of the cam bearings. The head bolts are 12 point 12mm.
3070.jpeg
3070.jpeg (373.1 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
The condition of the block after head removal. Not cleaned up at all.
3068.jpeg
3068.jpeg (377.48 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
Closeup of combustion gas leak.
3073.jpeg
3073.jpeg (317.25 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
Block cleaned up.
3074.jpeg
3074.jpeg (367.06 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
Uncleaned head.
3076.jpeg
3076.jpeg (395.9 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
My next step is to talk to a machine shop and see what I can do about the block being out of spec. I'm also going to pick up a proper machinist's straight edge and check again but I'm pretty sure the one I was using was accurate to .001.
--HID low beams.
--ATX to MTX
--NA to TT
Joe Nag
Ronzuki

So was there any type of thread locker on the head bolts? I've wondered for a very long time why it is there's never any mention of a routine service requiring re-torqueing of head bolts on modern day cars. Hell the K doesn't even have a CVT fluid replacement interval, and I'm convinced it should. It used to be a routine thing back in the day on new engines, and certainly anytime we pulled the heads off. I suppose it's merely a simple way to sell more new cars. Not that the need is not there to re-torque to prevent what you've experienced. Honestly, who's going to go through the trouble you are, or worse, pay someone else to attempt it and inject 15 other problems during the process. Modern day designs... who the hell puts a head bolt under a cam bearing? That's a new one for me and given that, I'll be curious to read about the torqueing process during your re-assembly. Do you have to replace the head bolts per FSM?

Looks as though you're going to need to completely remove the engine from the cradle :( and separate the trans/tcase to get the head and block decked. FWD side-ways engines are a PITA when you need to do this type of work.

Sorry to say, but I'm really enjoying following your work here.
Ron

LPSISRL

I didn't get the impression you are a pro mechanic so I'm in awe of your guts and technical ability. Even if you are, I'm still in awe. What did you use to clean the head? The piston tops look like they smiling at you. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and share this.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
licenseTOill

Good question on the head bolts. I don't absolutely know the reasoning for not re-torquing them but I can tell you what I think the answer is. A lot of head bolts now are the "torque to yield" type. That means that the bolt is torqued beyond the state of elasticity and therefore undergoes plastic deformation, causing it to become permanently elongated.

On the Stress/Strain graph below, you can see where the yield point is. The more torque that is applied, the more you start to approach the yield point. From 0 to the yield point, the bolt is elastic which means it will spring back to or retain its original shape. Torquing past the yield point gets into the plastic region which means the bolt will deform permanently and cannot spring back to or retain its original shape.
Stress-Strain.png
Stress-Strain.png (79.68 KiB) Viewed 10780 times
Per the FSM, the bolts only need to be replaced if they do not pass a deformation inspection. I will check mine but I think I'll replace them anyway because the bolts I have obviously did not hold the head down and let it warp .009. I'm guessing they are deformed. There is also no thread lock on them. The FSM calls for oil to be applied to the threads before torquing them. The head bolt torque spec is: 20Nm -> 40Nm -> +60 degrees -> + 80 degrees. The single smaller head bolt is 18.5 lb-ft. I've never torqued a bolt using degrees so ill have to look into how to do that correctly.

Here is the head bolt inspection sheet.
Suzuki Service Manual 709.png
Suzuki Service Manual 709.png (90.59 KiB) Viewed 10780 times
Last edited by licenseTOill on Wed May 10, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--HID low beams.
--ATX to MTX
--NA to TT
Joe Nag
licenseTOill

LPSISRL wrote:I didn't get the impression you are a pro mechanic so I'm in awe of your guts and technical ability. Even if you are, I'm still in awe. What did you use to clean the head? The piston tops look like they smiling at you. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and share this.
Thanks! I am not a pro mechanic, I've just been working on cars for about 10 years and I've had some engineering training that helps. I've also had my 3000GT for 6 or 7 years now and have converted it from automatic to manual and added turbos to my non-turbo engine. Then I spun a bearing and I dropped in a factory turbo engine. There is a lot of aftermarket support for that car and huge online presence and support still. I just do a lot of research and decide to try doing it myself; That's how I started anyway. Now, I can fairly confidently dig into anything and just need to look up the factory torque and maintenance specs. A lot of my learning has also been trial and error as well.

As far as cleaning the head, you don't want to use anything extremely abrasive that will leave deep marks in the head or block because it will cause the head gasket trouble creating a seal. I just used a razor blade to first scrape everything off and then I used a 3M metal finishing pad wetted with some Brake Kleen to finish rubbing everything down. Multi-layer steel (MLS) gaskets will clean up A LOT easier than a composite gasket will clean off. Fortunately, the Kizashi uses an MLS gasket.
--HID low beams.
--ATX to MTX
--NA to TT
Joe Nag
Ronzuki

Yeah, I'd def replace the head bolts especially since your head gasket failed, and, they are those torque-to-yield types as you suspect. All along, been wondering the root cause of your failure. Oil the threads before installing aye?...could be as simple as that...they possibly weren't properly oiled at the factory which would have thrown off the torque spec during assembly. Stuff like that happens. Early, early Japanese built SX4s had some incorrectly dimensioned main crank bearings installed mistakenly at the factory which caused failures down the road.
Ron

licenseTOill

I'll run a tap down the threads of all the head bolt holes before I put it back together. Just make sure the threads are super clean. It's hard to say what caused the failure but my stance on it is that it was a factory defect of some sort. It caused my coolant hose to burst because of the pressure that was building up in the coolant system via the combustion gas leak(s). Then my coolant leaked out and my engine overheated due to the broken coolant hose.
--HID low beams.
--ATX to MTX
--NA to TT
Joe Nag