How can the left low beam lightbulb be changed?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Ronzuki

Anyone have any pictures of the rear of the headlight assembly? I need to tackle this and I'm NOT taking the bumper off in the cold so I'm going to attempt to perform the 'babacu' maneuver. Just like to know what it looks like back there where the bulb's clamp is located.

Thanks!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
nytq

Hope this helps.
Headlights.pdf
(420.62 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
babacu

I suggest you start with the passenger's side one, to get a feeling of how the clamp is to be opened. That's the toughest part and it helps if you get a bit of practice with the one that's not so hard to open.

I've done it three times so far (those bright bulbs don't last the year) and I still struggled with that clamp on the driver's side last time I did it, a few weeks ago.

Good luck!
~tc~

babacu wrote:I've done it three times so far (those bright bulbs don't last the year) and I still struggled with that clamp on the driver's side last time I did it, a few weeks ago.!
Usually, this is due to too low voltage at the light, and can be solved with a separate lead direct to the battery through a relay.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Ronzuki

nytq wrote:Hope this helps.
Headlights.pdf
thanks nytq, perfect! exactly what I was looking for, I'll file it away. Looks as though I don't need to do this... yet. Co-worker came in my office yesterday and said my left headlight was out when I pulled in. So when I go to leave last night, all was well and lights are on just fine :?: Maybe when I flicked them off, he got confused w/ the DRLs coming on low power?? This am it's foggy and I know it's on because the beam is pointing off the road to the right (still gotta look at getting that factory plug/ cover off the adjustment screw and tweaking that).

Guess he wasn't any more awake than I was at 6am :lol:
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
sciraddo

When I first read this post, I got confused and thought you were trying to change the DRL. :lol:

Changing the Low beam without removing the bumper! You sir are amazing!

Today I tried to change my DRL without removing the bumper, that didn't happen. I had to remove the bumper, take out the light and use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the DRL. That's after removing the highbeam bulb. I replaced it with the 194 3W instead of the 194/168 5 LED, which I think look way better.

http://autolismo.com/Sliced_Images/big_ ... 194_3w.jpg
http://autolismo.com/Sliced_Images/big_ ... 4_5led.png

And while I already had the bumper off I changed the foglights as well with an H11 HID kit, 4300K. Everything tucked nicely into the cutout at the back of the bumper. So much light now, I love it! :D