How can the left low beam lightbulb be changed?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
babacu

Short of taking out the front bumper and removing the light assembly, is there another way to change the low beam lightbulb on the left side? It shouldn't be that complicated, maybe I'm missing something...

Has anybody managed to do it in a simple way? Maybe the fuse box can come off? The manual has the removal of a nearby bracket as one of the steps, but that doesn't look like it will create enough space for an adult hand to fit there...

Kizashi's setup gives a whole new dimension to the lightbulb changing jokes. I need a project plan for this unexpected challenge...

Thx.
Minority

Can't help you with your question, but it reminds me of a article on "Top Gear" (a UK motoring show).
They tried to change the bulb in a Renault megane vs a VW golf - VW golf about 30 seconds, Renault megane several hours (and that was a mechanic, not just an inexperienced owner). When they got a few quotes from Renault dealers to change the bulb I'm sure it was about 250-300 pounds sterling!!!
metatrox

sorry its removal of bumper. Its actually really easy to remove though so i wouldn't fret about it. But you'll need prolly an hour to do it.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
will2k

You have a good excuse to install HID's now ;)

But yeah bumper removal is the only way. Easier and safer than removing fuse box etc and even then it may not be ideal. Like Metatrox said you will probably need an hour first time around just look at the HID install thread here.

After doing it once to install HID's ( which took me 3hrs all up ) I can remove the bumper and change a bulb in like 20mins now.
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube
babacu

Darn! Thanks for all the answers (and ecouragement :-) ). You'd think manufacturers had this figured out by now...

It's not like there's no empty space in that engine compartment to place some of the other parts, to leave some more room behind the headlights. Oh well, warming up for the HIDs, I guess.
TheHolyGhost

It's a joke that they designed it that way. It's really nothing more than a ploy to generate service revenue for dealers.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
babacu

Happy to report that I managed to change the bulb without taking the bumper out.

After taking the bracket out (as the manual indicates) and disconnecting the cables near the fuse box there was enough room in there to permit replacing the bulb. Not a lot of space, but manageable. The hardest part was opening the clamp keeping the bulb in place, as the hand position was not very comfortable.
will2k

Nice job on doing it without taking the bumper off! How long did it take? The low beam bulb is a different story to the parker bulb though.

Changing the parker bulb was very tedious even with the headlight and bumper out so i can't imagine doing it with the bumper on unless you are extremely good with your hands ;)

You just proved it is possible with the bumper on though, good job!
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube
will2k

TheHolyGhost wrote:It's a joke that they designed it that way. It's really nothing more than a ploy to generate service revenue for dealers.
The dealers don't know what kizashi club members are capable of though 8-) The DIY section has really grown recently. Screw the dealers! lol
An auto electrician wanted atleast $250 and possibly even up to $350 depending on how long it would take to install my HIDs. Lucky for this forum i saved myself a tonne of money and it was much more rewarding as i am now confident in taking the bumper off which may come in handy in the future.

babacu

will2k wrote:Nice job on doing it without taking the bumper off! How long did it take? The low beam bulb is a different story to the parker bulb though.

Changing the parker bulb was very tedious even with the headlight and bumper out so i can't imagine doing it with the bumper on unless you are extremely good with your hands
About half an hour, including the head scratching time. The trick is to decouple all the nearby wires, so the bracket can be removed easily and to create some more room in there (I also took the air filter cap out, for some additional maneuvering space). I fumbled a bit when it came to unlocking the clamp keeping the bulb in place, I ended up putting some band aid on my right middle finger so I can press harder on it with the hand in an awkward upside down position (I'm left handed, but the right hand fits in there a bit easier).

I'll probably have a go at the parking lights, too, as soon as I find some nice bulbs. I was considering LEDs, but haven't decided yet.