CVT Fluid Drain and Fill w/ Filters Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
hillboy73

I'll just do it as your post and Old Tech recommended :lol: thank you for all the input. I'll let you know how the Triax fluid performs.
hillboy73

Is bubbles in the fluid normal when hot, caused by too high if a level, or too low of a level? Just trying to get the level right
old tech

I tried to find what model yr you have. Id like to confirm you have the correct filter depth. 12 and 13s came with a deep pan and the correct filter (pick up screen) is unobtainable aftermarket. They will usually hand you the short 10-11 screen. Using a shot filter with a deep can can cause damage. Just cleaning the original is recommended . If you must replace it , an Altima screen has the correct depth. Maybe you are talking of the cooler filter. Bubbles can be normal if it fluid has just been added. Check it again after a day. Level fully warmed up should be 1/8 higher than hot full line on the more common stick with the drilled holes or right on the line on the revised stick with the triangle cuts.
hillboy73

Sorry I haven't added my vehicle info yet. It's a 2011 SLS Sport AWD. It has the drilled stick. I used the same filters as posted in this thread I believe. I did just add a little fluid (maybe a 1/5 quart) as it was reading around an 1/8" below the top hole. I drove probably 20 miles mostly all highway and when I checked it it was bubbly and like a half inch if not a little more over the hole. Is there not a way to check these at an ambient temperature not running? Seems like you can check the stick 3 times in a row running and get a different reading.
n8dogg

old tech wrote: Id like to confirm you have the correct filter depth. 12 and 13s came with a deep pan and the correct filter (pick up screen) is unobtainable aftermarket.
I somehow missed that little nugget of wisdom when I serviced my '12 Kizashi 25k miles ago! At 95k I did my first CVT service, including changing both filters. Everything seems fine so far. I'm planning of doing another full drain and refill soon...should I be looking for a different filter since I plan on dropping the pan?
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
Quimicax

n8dogg wrote:
old tech wrote: Id like to confirm you have the correct filter depth. 12 and 13s came with a deep pan and the correct filter (pick up screen) is unobtainable aftermarket.
I somehow missed that little nugget of wisdom when I serviced my '12 Kizashi 25k miles ago! At 95k I did my first CVT service, including changing both filters. Everything seems fine so far. I'm planning of doing another full drain and refill soon...should I be looking for a different filter since I plan on dropping the pan?

If Everything Is Working Correctly Use The Same Model,
Recently Change The Cvt Fluid With Both Filters, I Am Using Motul Cvt Is Synthetic Base And Color Is Blue Like New Nissan NS3 CVT Fluid, Previously Used Valvoline CVT, The Trans Pan Magnets Looking Very Clean I Liked That

Before
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (155.81 KiB) Viewed 10824 times
It Looks Shiny But It's From The Cell Flash
After
After.jpg
After.jpg (330.75 KiB) Viewed 10824 times
2013 Model With Original Transmission And 128,000 Miles (204,800km)
Kizashi GTS 2013 AWD
DRL Off / Foglights Without Headlights

Ford Explorer Sport 2013
350Rwhp

Nissan Xtrail 2017
hillboy73

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Triax fluid has seemed to work fine so far after about 500 miles which isn't really much, but in contrast to what I read somewhere the fluid is red, not a clearish yellow color.
Quimicax

hillboy73 wrote:Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Triax fluid has seemed to work fine so far after about 500 miles which isn't really much, but in contrast to what I read somewhere the fluid is red, not a clearish yellow color.
Original Suzuki Fluid Is Green Color

Very Few Aftermarket Fluid Are Red, To Avoid Confusion Between A Conventional ATF Fluid

Many Cvt Fluid Brands Are Green And Yellowish

And The Most Recent Depending Are Blue Color
Like New Nissan NS3 / DIA QUEEN J4 And Motul CVFT
Kizashi GTS 2013 AWD
DRL Off / Foglights Without Headlights

Ford Explorer Sport 2013
350Rwhp

Nissan Xtrail 2017
hillboy73

I had just posted previously that it was supposed to be a clearish yellow according to something I read when researching and I just wanted to clarify that was not the case
old tech

In the above posted pictures, the before pic is the 12-13 yr deep pan . The after pic is the 10-11 short pan . See the different magnet location. They each have their own filter. The short filter in the deep pan is not a good thing. It could lead to fluid starvation given a low level and just the right tilt. Unfortunately ,the earlier pan filter typically, is all the part stores have listed for all Kizashis. The longer reach 12-13 filter in the 10-11 pan is not possible. On the topic of fluid color. its possible for manufacturers to make it any color they wish. Castrol makes a very good cvt fluid thats red. I wont use it for the simple fact of I may be accused of putting the wrong fluid into someones transmission which led to a failure.