Just saved 2 grand by not listening and following my gut lol

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Jfge8618

Well.. story time (it's a long one) I had posted a few months back about my trip from Santiago Chile to Medellin, Colombia just over 17000km all together in my 11 awd suki. Just before my departure I had issues with the car, keep loosing power and at first everyone including people in this forum blamed it to the tranny. Did the oil change and then the problem went away... or though so. in Peru I got stuck the car keep loosing power every 10km I had to stop let it cool down and resume (two longest days driving ever). I stopped at a dealer to have the car checked and as they scanned it...surprise no codes. Then we went for a ride as I'm driving the mechanic says "definitely its tranny" then it occurred to me how about if it's something else then he or I (can't remember who) said maybe the pump but unlikely. Took it back to the dealer took the tank out and yes it was the fucking pump filled with gunk from the bottom of the tank. When I changed the oil in the cvt the problem went away temporarily because of the high angle of the car while being jacked that all the dirt managed to run out of the pump carrier. But went back in as I keep refilling to the top on the drive to Colombia. (Or that's the theory).
Finally made it to Medellin after 8 days (lost two days in Peru). Everything is good until I heard and felt vibration on the left side right under my feet.
Yes it was coming from the CVT, we took it to the dealer and they confirmed it, took it to a friend's shop same thing. And parts were not available at the time. So they changed fluids added a additive to help it on the trip back with just a blessing as a guarantee that the car was going to make it.
I had to leave town so I flew back and my brother took the seat from Medellin to Santiago. He spent two weeks on the road not because he had issues but because wanted to stop and play tourists on the way down.

Back in Santiago I took the car to another place same diagnosis. It's going bad its gonna cost 2 grand to fix it and it will take a month or so until the parts get here.

Then the pandemic hit and I went broke. While the car keep giving the same noise and vibration only once you needed to punch it. So last week I decided to get my ass under the car to check for leaks and put the plastic cover back that I had taken out in Peru when had to stop to check things. And I noticed the left CV joint look odd like in a weird angle. Looked at the right CV and seemed a bit better.

Then I looked up I see a small rubber strip over the CVT mount just hanging there looking at me. Moved the CVT mount dust rubber cover and from the bottom I could not see anything wrong at all it all seemed perfect nice hard mount.

Then got my ass to look on top, remover the air box, moved the dust cover this time from the top par and there it was the rubber strip looking at me was the a piece of the top portion of the fucking mount with the weight of the tranny and engine you could not notice the fing thing was completely broken. once i took it out it came out without a struggle but in two pieces one being the mount to the frame the other being the center bushing where the bolt attaches to the aluminum bracket of the CVT.

The funny thing is that not even the dealer has it so what I did was I just grabbed a tube of urethane for windshields and glued the thing I left it 4 days drying and put the fing thing back.

AND GUESS WHAT roughly 8000 km, three countries, 4 shops and a fucking lot of stress it was a fucking mount that no one saw was bad. I almost spent 2000 usd on a full rebuild and all it was a bad cvt mount.

I ordered a new mount but it will take a month to get here that is why I went with the rout i went with the urethane.

Now the car drives, shifts good and have no noises.

So the moral of the story check your mounts boys and gals.

Have a nice one

:facepalm:
Woodie

Nice, congratulations.

If you had gone for the new transmission they would have found that and replaced it and you would have gone on in life believing that the transmission was bad.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Jfge8618

Woodie wrote:Nice, congratulations.

If you had gone for the new transmission they would have found that and replaced it and you would have gone on in life believing that the transmission was bad.
The funny thing is that the my brothers friend still saying it has to be a bad tranny.
But like I told my brother well there is no whining noice, metal on metal noice and no vibration on the engine no more even reverse I'm thinking that since i glued the top portion of the mount where it used o be open originally by design it helped with the vibration on reverse as i have read here before it's a common thing people ask about thinking it's a tranny issue.