Removal of optional chrome side molding on 2010 Model

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
gmkizashi

Searched and found nothing on this.

Not sure how much of a fan I am of the optional chrome strips on the sides of the car. Any info as to whether they are taped on only or if there are holes behind it and they are pressed in as well????
Last edited by gmkizashi on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 SLS FWD CVT-Azure Grey
Saiko

I tried to remove mine...it is not taped on, they actually bolted them into place resulting in three holes in the door. I gave half way through removal and put it all back together
gmkizashi

Wow. Thanks for saving me the frustration. Kind of a bummer.
gmkizashi

Saiko, looking through your posts I saw you have a 2011. I think the molding is wider and different versus the 2010.

In some other posts it mentions the 2010 moldings are "port" added and only have double sided tape, there was also a link to them being sold on ebay. I also noticed some people blacked them out.

Before I try ripping these things off, can anyone confirm that they have removed them, and that they are indeed just taped??
TheHolyGhost

Looking at mine, they look like tape, but I cannot confirm, I've never tried to remove them.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Saiko

Yes, mine is a 2011 and the trim is bolted on as well as taped. So proceed with caution. I would advise that you open your front door and look along the inside for signs of a threaded insert somewhere along the bottom edge. I can't remember whether one or all show, but I believe that you can see signs of something going on down there...
gmkizashi

Thanks folks. I'll take a look and see what I can see. When I finally do it, I'll advise. I'm trying to let them grow on me, but lean towards wanting them gone. Haven't de-badged yet either, which I'll probably do.

Weather to crappy to get motivated.
Ronzuki

If this is possibly a port added item, how is it that it shows up on my original window sticker as though it were a 'factory' installed item? Are they reprinting window stickers at the port?

Does anyone have the molding on their brand new car and it is not listed on the window sticker? I'd really hate to think some monkey at a port somewhere was drilling holes in my brand new car's doors!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Dr809

Hey everyone....I have a 2010 kizashi gts and it came with the ugly chrome molding and I took them off...there were no holes or nothing, other than double side tape....so if you have the same car I dont see why it would have the holes...