Black Chroming the Grille Badge

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Rpat

I was thinking about treating the Chrome "S" on the grille with a black chrome treatment, anybody used this product.

Dupli-Color® Shadow™ Chrome Black-Out Coating
ragmopp01

That really sounds great. I had thought when I bought the car that that S would look great in black chrome....but the cost! I see that Amazon sells it for under $15 and someone reviewed it and said it worked perfectly for his inside plastic pieces. And as the company states it IS designed for wheels so it should hold up for the S. I think I will order it...
Rpat

If you decide to do it let me know how it turns out, I'm not brave enough to blaze a trail on this one. 8-)
~tc~

The Toyota guys were all about some Testors Black Pearl paint to achieve this effect
http://www.testors.com/products/136245
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KIZAWDinKC

If you try it, post pics! I'm not exactly crazy about the chrome "S" on the front of the Kiz.
ragmopp01

Well, I finally got around to ordering the Dupli-Color Shadow for the 'S' on the front of the car. I painted it yesterday and I am pretty happy with the results. I still wanted a shine (but not as bright) so instead of the 2 or three coats of the black chrome paint I only did one. Then 3 coats of the clear coat. Note that if you have had your car awhile and have little dings from rocks etc. It will not hide those, so be forewarned.
Lastly, I have ordered another 'S' from Suzuki and I will try that with two coats of the paint, followed by the clear coat and see the difference.
Attachments
car.JPG
wyliec

That looks really good! From the pics it looks like it matches the black chrome of the grille quite well.
ragmopp01

Pretty close. But...as mentioned I am ordering another 'S' and will put 2 coats on it to see if a little darker would be good...
~tc~

Did they (or even can you) take the S off the grill, or do you have to mask it?

Next up, the chrome foglight surrounds ...
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
ragmopp01

I took the advice of someone else on this forum. I used a hair dryer (and left it out in the sun for an hour). Then I took some fishing line and 'sawed' it off. As I only had 6 lb. test, I had to quadruple the line and even then I went through a couple of them before I got it off. If you have some stronger line it should work better. They use some sort of puttyish compound that holds the thing on. To reattach I used 3M molding tape.

By the way, for others wondering what the 3M clear bra looks like, the whole front of the car has it. It goes about a third of the way up the hood.