Rear Diff oil change

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Ronzuki

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that the first oil change on the rear diff needs to be done at 7500 miles (US). Did mine today (a tad bit overdue at 8311 miles) and used a quart of Sta-Lube Syn-Go 75W-90 Full Synthetic Multi-grade GL5. I use this stuff in the SX4 as well

have a good evening!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Eric998765

The owners manual has all maintenance mileage as a multiple of 7500 miles, but after reading a website about oil (I think it was posted here) I was planning on doing it every 5,000. What does this mean for special maintenance like this? Should I go ahead and get it done at 5000? or should I get my oil change at 5000 and make a special trip to the dealer at 7500?
Ronzuki

My guess is that the factory fill is a break in lube for the gear set. Plus, you'll probably find a wad of gray metallic looking goo stuck to the dran plug's magnet (don't be alarmed)...again probably an assembly/break-in grease of somekind. That why it needs to be replaced once early on. I did our AWD SX4 at around 5k.

The reminder was for those that may not even be aware that these AWD cars have a rear differential and a tranfer case that have gear oil in them and need to be replaced. As always, if you do the work yourself, keep the receipts in the off chance that you may need to use the 7/100k powertain warranty. Without receipts to prove the maintenance was done, you may be denied a warranty claim should the need arise.

Engine oil change intervals are personal choices. I do 5,000 miles w/ Mobile 1 5W-30 and an OE filter (napa's wix if I don't have OE filters).
Ron

~tc~

The grey metallic goo is coating and metal from the gears breaking in, and while, yes, it looks horrible, it is normal.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
xwiredtva

This is really easy to do as well. There's a lot more space under there than you think. I had no problems getting in there with my 5yr old son and no floor jacks, just slide on under.
Ronzuki

I know I have a bit of a gut, but seriously, our kitten has to crouch down to crawl under there! I need to see a picture of you under there w/o any jacks or stands doing this service :lol:
Ron